Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-27-2006, 09:04 AM   #1
One of Those

Home Port: Providenciales
Vessel Name: S/V Twisted Sheets
Default hello from another newbie cruising wannabe

Hello.Hoping for advice,eventually, but right now just looking to get involved with cruising people. By way of introduction, My wife and I haveactually already embarked upon our dream life. A year ago we moved from the USA to the tropics. We are building a house here. As that process is underway we are turning our attention seriously to the next part of our dream which is to find a catamaran for the two of us, a small dog, and the occasional weekend guest or two. The two of us (and hopefully the dog) want to be able to cruise from the TCI up as far as Harbor Island, and down as far as Trinidad, over to Central America, possibly the Gulf Coast. Not really interested in trans-oceanic, at the moment. I spent 40 years in offshore/underwater businesses, and so have spent many many months of my life at sea and in foreign ports. So I know a thing or two about boats, the ocean, navigation, engines, etc. etc. BUT I never lived on a sailboat except for a week on a 42 ft. catamaran. I am hoping to find something like (from what I have read) a Gemini 105. I dont mind doing engine or carpentry work. There are no such boats here in this country that I know of, so will be looking to buy and sail/motor back.

I hope I might be able to contribute something here, from time to time, if it involves something I know about. I am positive I will learn somthing from you guys.

Old 08-27-2006, 11:14 AM   #2
Admiral

Welcome. I think it would be fair to say that we all benefit from the knowledge and experience of each other. I'm sure we will benefit from yoiur knowledge as well.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 08:16 PM   #3
imported_admin

Welcome aboard!
Old 08-27-2006, 09:32 PM   #4
One of Those

thank you for the welcome. I would be interested if any of the other readers here have much experience with Gemini 105M or MC, and if its considered suitable for the type of island hopping we want to do. We started out in love with the Leopard 42, but have downsized to a more realistic goal of finding a Gemini or equivalent that needs some work at a price we can handle.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:40 PM   #5
One of Those

Just as a matter of curiousity, do any of you cruisers know what the used boat market is like in Cuba? Fidel must have seized a few boats over the years, or the people who left Cuba must have owned some boats that they left there.

I am just a short hop from Cuba, and was wondering if thats even a possibility.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:59 PM   #6
Ensign

Spent two yrs on a Gemini... loved every minute of it. For the cruising you mention it would be a good choice. This is not a blue water boat, never meant to be. Perfectly made for Bahamas cruising ... you can go places canoes fear to tread!

Know the limits of the boat and a safe weather window before crossing into open expanses of ocean. I never once got even so much as a scare, (ok once).

While shopping be patient... looked at many weekend only rats and then found a sweet boat owned by a liveaboard. Thought it would be the other way around. Duckhead.