Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Liverpool
Default Help me identify this boat

Hi all,
I'm new here and would love to get your help identifiying the boat in the pictures i have attached.
I would love to be her next owner and need some info to get me started.
Thanks in advance!
Jude x
Attached Thumbnails
088.jpg   091.jpg  

Old 07-15-2013, 11:53 PM   #2
Lieutenant

Home Port: the boat
Vessel Name: Skipping Stone

If those are bilge keels, then I'd bet dollars to donuts she was built in the UK, if that's any help?

facebook.com/svskippingstone
capta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Home Port: Ballard
Vessel Name: VAGABON
Default Why?

The most important question is why? Do you have too much money and time on your hands? Are you scared of the water and this is your way of never going out? Yikes!

DW
Old 07-26-2013, 12:27 AM   #4
Senior

Home Port: Dunedin
Vessel Name: Avanti

The hull is similar to a twin keeler Westerly 25 but the deckhouse is different. I sailed "Caravelle" for 13 years. She was 25ft LOA, draft 2ft 6ins, displaced 2.5 tons, trailable and fully rigged. Not a transocean vessel but suitable for coastal passages and the more sheltered cruising waters. I entered many shallow inlets and river mouths were the shoal draft was such an advantage; where most other keelers dare not go. Shallow mooring or anchoring areas were quite OK. A splendid yacht for that period in my life. A yacht to take adventuring.
Bill McIndoe
Old 07-26-2013, 12:31 AM   #5
Damien 45 swing keel

Home Port: bideford

I think its a Hurley
Old 08-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #6
Ensign

What do you want to do with your life? Do you want to sail on the water or sand the hull of an old boat? I think your first boat should be sea worthy on day one. You will still be able to experience the joy of repairing your boat because its a never ending process like mowing grass.

Plunk down all the money you can afford and go sailing.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:22 AM   #7

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Sometimes a project is just the thing to help us along in life.

In late 2006, my hubby and I bought an old old OLD boat much in need of a major, major rebuild. We wanted a pre-WWII boat (long story) and pretty much you have to either buy it recently rebuilt or do it yourself. We chose the latter but only because we couldn't find a suitable cruising boat of pre-WWII era in the size and condition we desired. We knew the scale of the project going in. It was not cost effective, it was not anyone's idea of the best use of our time, energy or talents. We spent 2 years full time working on the rebuild alongside a wonderful shipwright who taught hubby many wonderful things about wood boats. We relaunched her and have enjoyed sailing, living aboard and working from home, coastal cruising and well--its great.

What we got from our own rebuild experience was a huge sense of accomplishment--getting something done every day working with your hands can be very rewarding. The experience was beyond putting a price on it--we grew together as a team, we learned our boat inside and out, we learned many traditional crafts and skills related to her maintenance. Our confidence in our ability to take care of our vessel was buoyed and I'm so happy that we bought the boat and spent so much effort rebuilding. Am I happy of the cost? No, of course not. But it was well worth it.

So, all you folks who don't "get it" regarding fixing up old stuff That's OK with me, it just means there are more good deals on wonderful cars, boats, houses, furniture, and well "stuff" in need of loving care.

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:39 AM   #8
Senior

Redbopeep
Thank you for that lovely story; surely in the tradition of the cruising philosophy.

Bill McIndoe
Bill McIndoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:15 AM   #9
Ensign

Why must you judge others' dreams?

I think taking a boat like that and giving it a new life is noble. We have a massive shortage of precious resources on this planet because people don't like dealing with, well, manual labor. Are you suggesting that instead of laboring over a boat to bring her back to life, this person should labor for some soulless corporation to earn enough money to allocate strained resources and order a newly built boat - which will likely be built to maximize profit for lazy oafs; rather than being built to sail and last forever?

I don't mean to pick on you. I'm not judging you by any means. I am genuinely curious as to why people feel they need to treat others this way, to judge them, to question their motives - motives you can't possibly understand because the person did not address their motives.

This is a discussion forum, a place where ideas are exchanged. I think it is inappropriate to stray from the original poster's intended topic (recall: "help identify this boat") into what amounts to an attack on someone's ego. I think it is counterproductive.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

As to the topic at-hand, I'm araid I don't know what she is. I see a lot of potential in her though, and if you can bring her back to life, and she is the right boat for you; definitely do it. The world needs more boats brought back to life, and far fewer being minted anew.

I should probably disclose a bit of bias on my part, as my ship was stuck in the mud since she the hull and deck were completed in 1982 (she was partially rigged in 2003, but I was the first to sail her.) I cannot begin to describe the pride I have in my ship knowing that I was the first to run her under sail, to move her steadfast through the water at 7.5kts with just the jib (until I got the aft penant unstuck).

Rebuilding a ship is giving it a new life. The pride one has for such an investment in time, money, blood, sweat, tears, and often lost relationships makes for an excellent relationship between skipper and vessel. Could you really see a similar relationship between skipper and vessel when the relationship was based solely on money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWhylton View Post
What do you want to do with your life? Do you want to sail on the water or sand the hull of an old boat? I think your first boat should be sea worthy on day one. You will still be able to experience the joy of repairing your boat because its a never ending process like mowing grass.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:36 AM   #10
Damien 45 swing keel

Home Port: bideford

My father gets total enjoyment out of all the boats he has rebuilt over the years and is 85 years young now.
It always gets to the time where the boat goes in the water and he looses interest.
He is ex royal navy, and fisherman, so its not that he is scared of the water, he just enjoys the relationship with rebuilding and bringing a boat back to life.
Ps on the other hand I couldn't wait and bought our 46 footer and couldn't wait to get out on the sea,,,pacific here we come...
Old 09-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #11
Ensign

Stop the personal attacks

If you don't like the opinion of another boater please voice your opinion but don't attack the other boater. This is the basic kindergarten rules that you should have learned in pre-school and you snipers out there know who you are.

When you say " I don't mean to make a personal attack" and then you go on and make a personal attack its still a personal attack.

Personal attacks and ridicule of other boaters broadcasts the fact that you don't have a good argument for your opinion on the subject and that you are the lowest form of bilge skum that exists.

Stop sniping at other boaters. We are all here to enjoy discussing boating and share boating knowledge if you can't be civil then you do not belong here.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #12
Ensign

Quote:

Partially completed boat projects can be found just about everywhere you look. They are in boat yards and back yards all over the world usually near the water.

Sometimes the boater who started the project is around but more often its offered by his widow. The guy worked on his boat for years and then had a heart attack before going to sea. Sometimes he just gave up found a woman and had baby's.

Rebuilding a boat may be a noble project but it might take years if you do all the work yourself. Some of us like myself who is approaching seventy years of age don't have years to give to the boat building god before we go to sea.

Most of the abandoned boat projects are cheap. You don't know if all the parts are there or how they came apart. You don't know the quality of the work that has been performed and often the repair work is not what you would do and you end up ripping it out.

The market is flooded with boats right now and the prices are low. It makes more sense to buy a boat that will float than to purchase a project and don't assume you can rebuild a boat for less money than buying a boat. Parts and materials are high priced.

Here is a nice 50 footer for $30K The boat owner had a heart attack. 1979 Dana Design 50 Ft Sailboat

Even for $30K its not a deal. By the time you move the boat and paint it you will have more money in it than a boat already in the water. Yes boat prices are low but labor and paint and materials are high.

If the widow said I could have it for free I would turn it down.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:04 PM   #13
Ensign

You posted that DIRECTLY after you attack me?

I call ********. I call hypocrite.

I guess I'm done with this forum too. Yet another place where ignorant, selfish, stupid Americans come to desparage and berate others to make themselves feel better about their addiction-driven misery.

Don't any of you ever approach me on the high seas. I am kind and caring except when you threaten my space. I do not tolerate ignorance, stupidity, or selfish greed in my presence and will put you in your place faster than you can say "ude, that's my ego you just killed."

Quote:
Stop the personal attacks

If you don't like the opinion of another boater please voice your opinion but don't attack the other boater. This is the basic kindergarten rules that you should have learned in pre-school and you snipers out there know who you are.

When you say " I don't mean to make a personal attack" and then you go on and make a personal attack its still a personal attack.

Personal attacks and ridicule of other boaters broadcasts the fact that you don't have a good argument for your opinion on the subject and that you are the lowest form of bilge skum that exists.

Stop sniping at other boaters. We are all here to enjoy discussing boating and share boating knowledge if you can't be civil then you do not belong here.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #14
Ensign

Dude, that's scary. Nobody attacked you.

I'm a proud American who's not very happy about being pegged as ignorant, selfish, and/or stupid. Not feeling very well today, are you?

Oh, well, back to discussing boats and differences of opinion thereof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest2013b View Post
You posted that DIRECTLY after you attack me?

I call ********. I call hypocrite.

I guess I'm done with this forum too. Yet another place where ignorant, selfish, stupid Americans come to desparage and berate others to make themselves feel better about their addiction-driven misery.

Don't any of you ever approach me on the high seas. I am kind and caring except when you threaten my space. I do not tolerate ignorance, stupidity, or selfish greed in my presence and will put you in your place faster than you can say "ude, that's my ego you just killed."
Old 09-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #15
Senior

Default To JudeBL re identifying yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudeBL View Post
Hi all,
I'm new here and would love to get your help identifiying the boat in the pictures i have attached.
I would love to be her next owner and need some info to get me started.
Thanks in advance!
Jude x
Hi JudeBL,
I think "arctic warrior" correctly identifying the yacht you were looking at as a Hurley 22.
Try: hurleyownersassociation.co.uk And other references.
A little late perhaps?
Regards
Bill Mcindoe

Bill McIndoe is offline   Reply With Quote