Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-02-2006, 08:44 PM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie
Default Hydraulic steering.

I recently replaced the floor in the cockpit of my boat. This required the disconnection of the hydraulic HyDrive steering pump, which is housed above the deck within the steering pedestal.

I have reconnected the pump and have refilled it with oil. I have followed carefully the instructions in the maintenance manual, but I cannot manage to fully bleed all of the air from the system. Consequently. there is a recurrent 'dead-spot' as the wheel is turned from lock to lock.

Any suggestions?

David.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 09:02 PM   #2
imported_admin

A shot in the dark! (You have probably done it anyway)

Turn the wheel fully one way - bleed.

Turn fully the other way - bleed.

Good luck - hydraulics has always been a mystery to me.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:04 PM   #3
Admiral

The autopilot on SV Watermelon was hydraulic and we had to bleed air out occasionally, so I asked Peter what he thought the problem and solution might be.

His response was that there are a lot of reasons why the system isn't bleeding properly, and therefore lots of things to try to bleed out the air.

It's possible that the stops for the rudder are less than the range of the hydraulic ram in the slave cylinder so that it stops before reaching the end of its range, leaving some air trapped. One possible solution is to disconnect the rudder from the system and turn the wheel to the end of the range of the ram several times to try to dislodge the air.

Another thing to try. Get someone to turn the wheel while you wield wrench at the cyclinder. When the wheel has turned until resistance, loosen the nut locking the hose to the cylinder so that some air and fluid will squeeze out - turn the wheel further then lock the nut. Repeat for the other direction, see if that works.

Another thing to try:

Establish a large reservoir of hydraulic fluid into the fill point; a large funnel filled with hydraulic fluid would do it.

Disconnect one of the hydraulic hoses and place it in a bucket. Work the wheel to pump lots of fluid through the system to dislodge and move the air bubble out through the disconnected hose into the bucket, then put everything back together again.

well, those are Peter's suggestions, though he says that it's hard to diagnose, or propose solutions, from this distance. He says you need to find where the air is trapped (with X-ray vision, perhaps? was my response to that suggestion).

I would like to hear what finally worked.

Jeanne

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 12:33 PM   #4
Ensign

David

Give me a ring if I can give you a hand with anything.

Humpty Doo Ken
Old 12-05-2006, 04:37 PM   #5
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Thanks Jeanne, you have provided me with some good ideas there. Also thanks Ken. Now that we have despatched the English cricket team (yet again...hahaha) I can get to the boat and reconnect the steering. If I need a second pair of hands, I will give you a call.

Dave.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic steering