Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-27-2011, 05:34 PM   #1
Ensign

I have read several topics and blogs regarding people who are chasing their dream to sail around the word. The general response has been "Don't do it".. You could get hurt, or even worse, you could cast a poor image on the sailing commmunity furthering the cause for govermental control.

Well, I say to those of you considering this advice. Play it safe, live to be 90 and sit in your rocker somewhere far from any beach and contemplate your life. If you ever had a true passion for the sea, the biggest question for yourself in that contemplation will be, " Coluld I have done it"?

Or you could look yourself in the mirror, see the true grit of your personality, and draw your own conclusions. Then, buy a boat, spend a summer in your local area sailing in good weather and bad. If you still feel the urge to go where the modern world has yet to go, shove off!

Sell your house, have a ceromony at the edge of open water to burry at sea your cell phone.

As far as my opening sentence goes, I was both wrong and right. Yes, you can get hurt. I find it hard to use the word adventure if there is no physical and emotional threat. Here is where your character is tested. As to giving the sailing community a bad name by becoming lost or needing rescue, this is the chance anyone who goes to sea takes. Even the horribly boring writers who sail to well populated islands, and try to win us over with their deep understaning of sailing terms from the days of old, that most of neither understand or care to.

I say, learn your boat, get in shape, then set sail for the deep blue open water, and islands that have not seen human life in hundreds of years. Find adventure, brave the harshness of mother nature, and see the true beauty of the earth that can only be seen for those brief few moments after a storm. Then write a blog or an article that inspires others to go in search of what so few of us have found.

The secret to becoming all you can be is as simple as going all the way to the edge. Whatever your edge may be, you will be content with the universe when you find it.

Good luck and happy sailing Tommy!

Look me up if I can help

Old 01-27-2011, 09:31 PM   #2
Lieutenant

Home Port: Gisborne
Vessel Name: Balaena Bay

Ok

Old 01-28-2011, 06:19 PM   #3
Ensign

What?

Most members of Cruiser Log are a lot more experienced than I am, so I usually read a lot but don't say too much.

In Over Our Heads, you seem to be preaching to the choir here. Who's been telling you "don't go?" Not here, I don't think.

Are you in over your head? Have you decided to go without learning anything first? Do you think that is a lesson we ought to learn from you?
Old 01-28-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerjacko View Post

What?

Most members of Cruiser Log are a lot more experienced than I am, so I usually read a lot but don't say too much.

In Over Our Heads, you seem to be preaching to the choir here. Who's been telling you "don't go?" Not here, I don't think.

Are you in over your head? Have you decided to go without learning anything first? Do you think that is a lesson we ought to learn from you?
Old 01-28-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
Ensign

I may very well be preaching to the choir... I never asked him if he was a singer. I am sure, however, that I was not preaching to you.If my response to his question affended you somehow, well, you have so been affended.

As to my experience, I am a better sailor today than yesterday, and hoping to be yet again better tomorrow.

So I say again to my good friend. Go for it!

And I say to you, I am here to ease the burdon of being land locked. It will be well over thirty days before my next adventure begins, so I look to blogs and sites like these to help me pass those days. Not to insight an argument with someone who is no doubt faced with the same delima.

So with all said my friend, I yield., and look forward to sharing stories of past adventure, and plans of future ones.

As it stands I am scheduled to take delivery of our newest boat, the Karen Sue, named for my mother who always cried sad tears when I left and happy tears upon my return, in Jacksonville FL. From there we will take Florida to the south, cross to Cuba, then to Mexico and up the coast to home. We will spend the next several month working the kinks from our new girl. When school is released in May, my three boys will get there first adventure following their favorite pirate stories through the islands of the Carab.

I can't wait...

Old 01-28-2011, 09:56 PM   #6

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

clindley,

Welcome to Cruiserlog! I also don't know whether you're an experienced cruiser or someone who's just now getting into your first cruising adventures. Either way, welcome. It sounds like you've had a boat before--what was it? My husband and I always rented boats for the many years that we were off doing other stuff than sailing. Only owned a sailing canoe! But, oh, had lots of fun even so.

We will look forward to hearing more about your own cruising dreams/plans for the future as well as what things you have done (if any) in the past to prepare for your travels. Do you have pics of the Karen Sue? We encourage our members to start a blog here (free) to share their travels with the rest of the community.

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote