Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-30-2005, 03:13 AM   #1
Brazilnut

Default Info on Victoire 28 please

Does anyone out there have a Victoire 28 yacht? They were built in Holland in the late 60īs and 70's (pehaps later, but I think the model changed somewhat). They seem to be very rare in North America. I've found a 1971 model for sale that has pretty much all I really want in a 28ft boat, but I really would like to know a little more about the build quality of these boats. I haven't been able to find anything on the internet about this model. Does anyone know of a link or owner's group? What is the build quality of this boat? Are there any problems common to this model / manufacturer? What should I pay special attention to in the survey (aside from all the things that could be wrong with a boat this old!)? How well do they sail? Any bad habits? The boat I'm looking at is priced right, but will involve a lot of upgrading. I don't want to put my time and money in a boat that isn't worth it in the long run. If anyone has one of these boats and is kind enough to send me some information I'd be very grateful.

Mark
Old 09-05-2005, 10:29 PM   #2
Jan
Lieutenant

Mark,

Victoire 28 is a design from a well-known dutch designer (Dick Koopmans). His designs are sturdy, strong and comfortable sailors with classic looks and behavior.

The Victoire-company has a very good reputation regarding quality and construction. They're still in business.

The dutch ownersclub is www.victoireclub.nl

To get an idea on the dutch prices see http://www.botentekoop.nl/zeiljachten/4050...re_28_1973.html

Jan

Old 09-06-2005, 02:16 AM   #3
Brazilnut

Jan,

Thanks for the response, I was wondering if anyone out there had heard of this boat. The sites you mention came up in a google search that I did a while ago, but as I don't speak Dutch I was really unable to benefit from them. Do you know of any Victoire 28 owners who would be willing to give me some information? I can be contacted by e-mail off the forum if you prefer at julitaita@aol.com

My doubts are about the build quality, known problems with this model and a little assurance that it's a boat worth the effort and expense of fixing up. I'd hate to throw good money after the bad! As I mentioned in the original post, it seems to have just what I'm looking for in a 28ft boat. I'll be using it for weekending and cruising on the coast of Brazil (and perhaps doing the REFENO Recife to Fernando de Noronha regatta). I know that one of them went around the world (named "windbreker", as I recall). Again, any info is very welcome.

Regards,

Mark
Old 09-06-2005, 06:10 AM   #4
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

G'day Mark, If you want to access websites written in a foreign language, use a free translation site. http://babel.altavista.com/ is excellent. You do not need to download anything. Just copy and paste the text in Dutch, then click 'translate'. All happens very quickly and while it provides a literal translation, it is generally easy to understand. I regularly use it to translate japanese into english and it works fine. Best wishes. David

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 06:52 PM   #5
Brazilnut

Auzzie, thanks for the tip. It comes up with some strange translations, but as you said, one can figure out what it's trying to say. Anyone else out there have a Victiore 28? C'mon, I just want a little info! Thanks in advance,

Mark
Old 12-21-2005, 05:54 PM   #6
Ensign

I sailed for about ten years a Koopmans 34. The hull was build by the Victoire shipyard and was in fact the hull of a Victoire 34. The deck and the interior were build by Koopmans himself. (For the insiders: it was the Jantine 3) This ship was great fun to sail and very well laid out. Koopmans himself sails most of the time and knows what is necessary for cruising. Normally his ships have a lot of space on deck and berth to sleep in while at sea, not like most of the mass-produced ships of today, where one can only sleep on board in marinas or at anchor! I don't know the Victoire 28, but based upon my experience it must be a good ship.

Henk
Old 12-23-2005, 07:44 PM   #7
Commander

Mark, I'd recommend you contact the yard directly. There are virtually no Dutch businesses that can't manage to communicate in English, and they would seem to be the experts.

Jack
Old 09-27-2006, 08:32 PM   #8
Ensign

I recently acquired a Victoire 28 (1980?). Please pass any data my way too. Thanks
Old 10-18-2006, 09:19 PM   #9
Ensign

Thanks for that gesture but Marks email bounces back, hence my request...