Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-14-2006, 12:28 AM   #1
Rear Admiral

Default Inspiration

To be truly challenging, a Voyage, like a Life, must rest on a fine foundation of financial unrest. Otherwise, you are doomed to a restricted traverse, the kind known to yachtsmen, who ply their boats at sea - "cruising", it is called. Voyaging belongs to seamen, and to wanderers who cannot, or will not, fit in. If you are contemplating a voyage and if you have the means, abandon the venture until your fortunes change. Only then will you know what the sea is all about.

"I've always wanted to sail the South Seas, but I cannot afford to". What these people cannot afford is not to go! They are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of "security". And in this worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine - and before we know it, our lives are gone.

What does a person really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in - and some form of working activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That's all - in the material sense. And we know it. But we are brainwashed by our economic system and we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our attention from the sheer idiocracy of the charade.

The years thunder by. The dreams of youth grow dim where they become caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it, the tomb is sealed.

Where, then, lies the answer? In Choice. Which shall it be: Bankruptcy in purse, or bankruptcy in life?

Sterling Hayden ~ 1916 - 1986

-------------

I just HAD to share this with everyone... especially with those who feel they "cannot afford to to go".

Sterling Hayden was an American author and film actor. The book WANDERER and the film DR STRANGELOVE are among my personal favorites.

Love to Live - Live to Love

Kirk

Old 09-14-2006, 02:38 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

I need at least 7 feet...otherwise I'm good to go.

Great quote! I will forward this to a few landlubbers that don't understand our desire to head South.

Cheers,

Ken

Old 09-14-2006, 10:24 PM   #3
Ensign

Trim... I am totally blown away with the work you have done to your boat. Not only the quantity of the work done but the calibre of the work. I (think) I'm handy but I would never attempt doing what you have done, bravo... nice job! Duckhead.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:30 PM   #4
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

Well thank you! It has become an obsession for us...but an enjoyable one with a purpose.

Wait till you see the enterior projects. I'm still working on the write-ups.