Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-25-2010, 06:52 PM   #15

Actually, the first incursions of oil into Florida are up north in the Panhandle, (near the Alabama border) just the past few days. Nothing has reached the Keys yet, and nothing on the west central coast of Florida, either (Tampa Bay, Fort Myers, the Everglades).

I have a serious bone to pick with all the news media, who have sensationalized this disaster and created a worse disaster for the entire Gulf Coast. As I said, until earlier this week there was no oil on Florida beaches, and it still hasn't gone very far. Yet the news actors hasn't bothered to mention this, and the beautiful white beaches are empty of tourists and the resorts, hotels, motels are empty. Tourists have cancelled their trips for no reason except that they haven't been told the whole truth of the situation by the news shows. That's irresponsible sensationalism, IMO.

The news has become part of the problem. It seems obvious to me that they are shedding crocodile tears for the region in their grab for viewers and ratings.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:22 PM   #16

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP' date='25 June 2010 - 11:52 AM View Post

Tourists have cancelled their trips for no reason except that they haven't been told the whole truth of the situation by the news shows. That's irresponsible sensationalism, IMO.

The news has become part of the problem. It seems obvious to me that they are shedding crocodile tears for the region in their grab for viewers and ratings.
It is irresponsible, but you'd think the tourists would do a little investigating on their own before canceling trips. If I had plans to visit, I'd want to get there "before" it all gets ruined by oil considering it could take a long time for things to recover...but hey, that's me. I felt that way about New Orleans--a city I love to visit. I was saddened that I hadn't visited New Orleans in the two years before Katrina since many of the areas I loved to visit were hard hit by the flood waters.

Along the lines of tourists staying away because of bad press--in 1992, I had a wonderful chance to visit the remote area of Northern Pakistan which borders Afghanistan; I didn't do the trip because of news reports regarding dangers in the region and US State Department warnings. Turns out it was hogwash (at the time) and I should have visited. Later in the decade, it became very unsafe for Americans to visit the area and now, sadly, the region has changed so much due to local economic factors and to the war in Afghanistan that even many local people have fled the area and the way of life has changed--it is no longer safe for even Pakistani peoples to visit. I missed an opportunity to see a very special place which will never be "as it was" and I missed it due to sensationalism in the press on the most part. That does make me careful to sift through the press and figure things out on my own these days.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:28 AM   #17
Admiral

Some very wise words there from Redbopeep.

In travel, as in anything else, it pays to do your homework! I have been to many places, well off the beaten track, and against government recommendations and, alll in all, very welcoming, good hearted people. There are probably more "bad guys" in London and New York than in many of the world's "high risk areas".

What this means, getting back to MissD's plans, is that we all should try to live our dreams but before taking risks should make our own assessment of the situation based upon all available knowledge. In some cases that will include journalists' reports but, with a little sifting through these, the core truth often can be found. Just avoid newspapers which live on the worst forms of scaremongering.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:22 PM   #18
Ensign

Yeah I am hoping that when I am in the Keys and Bahamas in Dec it has not reached yet. I have the option in Jan/Feb to leave out of any port. He will fly me out of where I need to be picked up at.

Question though getting to back to what I was asking. Are the prices I have listed fair?
Also Next month I will be going up to The Twin Cities and doing some shopping for gear. He will have the boat in the great lakes so we are doing it now instead of later so I dont have to fly it all down with me in Dec.

I am looking at Keen Sandals currently and not sure what brand of coats yet. Any suggestions on what keen shoes and what brand of coat?
Old 06-28-2010, 11:57 AM   #19

Go to West Marine I am not recommending that you buy anything from them, but check out the foul weather gear and shoes. You do not want to wear street shoes on the boat. Leather-soled shoes will be slippery. For comfort when off the road I wear Crocs, but arthritis makes Crocs so appeasling to me. They are much nicer looking now than when they were first introduced.

Personally, I don't buy expensive foul weather gear.

If you will be sailing from the Bahamas to the Caribbean in winter, you will want foul weather trousers as well as a jacket. Most important, though, is a safety harness. A combination PFD (Personal Flotation Device) and harness, such as SOSpenders, is good.

Your rates - probably a tad high for the Bahamas, not bad for the Caribbean. I'd also try to be minimalist with your supplies, and a compact case to carry them to other boats when necessary. Not really knowing what salon supplies you are thinking of stocking on the boat, though, I'm probably not the best person to advise you what to bring, but remember that boats do not have very convenient places to stow things, and refrigeration is minimal and food will take priority.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:16 AM   #20
Ensign

I have 2 roll abouts full of stuff. The roll abouts are 3 feet high by 12 inches by 12 inches. These two hold almost all of my work items.

What do you think fair prices for the Bahamas would be?

The boat is nice sized 40 foot cat. ( i hope the pics show up)

Old 09-09-2012, 06:08 AM   #21
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Just want to bump this thread as it covers a lot being asked by another newb under Questions upon questions.

RedBoPeep makes very valid points about earning in a 'luxury' market which probably doesn't exist out in the bundoo...But Coyote also has made a very good point. One which I see every day in Thailand.

Expats want the occasional injection of their own culture and especially when it comes to a little pampering. Mostly they can't talk about sports, the weather, fashions etc with the people they most come into contact with. So, someone with a familiar accent and who is a good conversationalist will often charge a lot more for a service than will the locals. And they seem not to be short of custom.

Auzzee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:52 AM   #22
Lieutenant

Home Port: the boat
Vessel Name: Skipping Stone

When can you get to Prickly Bay, Grenada? I really need a haircut!
So do most of the cruisers and their ladies. Not too many of us need our nails done though.
That answer your question?
facebook.com/svskippingstone
capta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:56 AM   #23
Lieutenant

Home Port: the boat
Vessel Name: Skipping Stone

I need another haircut. Any chance you're near Bequia?

facebook.com/svskippingstone
capta is offline   Reply With Quote