Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-18-2006, 12:32 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Items women need the most

Any one using a breadmaker???

Is this overrated?

What are good items to place on your wedding gift list for a brand spankin new female cruiser?

Old 05-18-2006, 04:20 PM   #2
Commander

Congratulations on the new wife; I don't know much on either subject so can't give good advise except treat her well and as an equal.

Regards

Peter

Old 05-18-2006, 06:50 PM   #3
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Try a battery powered Remington Lady Shaver and a top-flight manicure set. (Gorbachev likes smooth legs and nice nails)....and, the breadmaker is power hungry and takes 3 hours to do the job. If you have a good freezer and a little spare room, go to the local fresh bread shop and ask the baker to freeze some bread dough. The cold stops the yeast from activating, but if the watchkeeper whacks a lump of frozen dough on the cabin top before sun-up,it will thaw and prove quickly so you can have lovely fresh bread for brekky, straight from your oven.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:03 PM   #4
Admiral

Designer foul weather gear.

I think a bread maker is an expensive, power and space-wasting piece of silliness. Making bread is really easy. I always made regular yeast bread, but here's a simple recipe for beer bread - got to be one of the easiest bread recipes around:

Beer Bread

3 cups self-rising flour*

3 tablespoons granulated sugar

1 (12-ounce) can of beer (room temperature)

1. Preheat oven to 375*F (190*C). Lightly grease or spray a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.

2. Combine all ingredients, mixing well.

3. Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake for 1 hour.

Makes 1 loaf.

*Or you may substitute with 3 cups all purpose flour, 3 teaspoons baking powder and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:57 PM   #5
Rear Admiral

I'm certainly no expert, but...

I believe the best way to keep a wife comfortable and happily aboard a boat is to simply install the best stove and the best head you can afford.

and a new fridge helps, too.

We upgraded our boat with a BROADWATER stove (Australian made) and a LAVAC Zenith (available from Defender).

Now we're living (aboard) happily ever after.

which reminds me of a joke:

What's the difference between a Fairy Tale and a Sea Story?

A Fairy Tale ends with "and they lived happily ever after"

and a Sea Story ends with "and that's no $#!t".

Have a great weekend,

Kirk

PS - thanx for the bread recipe, Jeanne.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:42 AM   #6
Ensign

For the reason's mentioned above about bread makers, unless the wife has certain allergies or likes hygienic and doesn't trust anyone outside her area ..

The one thing not mentioned isn't just a good head, but a shower with a removable head and plenty of hotwater to boot. I don't mind the cockpit thing, but my girlfriend absolutely hates it; hence looking for an affordable bigger boat.

If it was raining, I already knew I was soloing. If it was rough and blowing the mountain down, I knew she'll be outside (incapacitated and not caring at all) and I'm still soloing. Raingear? thats for me.

----

Kirk, Where do you find all those good jokes?

sv Serendipity
Jim Wasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:03 AM   #7
Ensign

Hi all

The item I want are many but the items I really need are very few. The most important item for me is my husband, I can cope with anything as long as he is beside me.

Three years on and I still only have a single burner camp stove to cook on, it is amazing what can still be cooked with only one burner. I have had several goes at making bread, some good some bad but still happy to keep trying. To make the yeast do its thing on a cold day I boil some water and sit the tray over the hot saucepan it will rise good enough. No bread maker ever needed. I use the bbq that is outside on the stern rail.

Good wet weather gear was a must, I have 2 sets one for inshore (lightweight) and one set for offshore (warm and cosy). I use an epilady to shave the legs, it is 240v but I am lucky enough to have an inverter. The longer you have used it for the less you need to use it. I have my own beauty routine, use plenty of mosturiser. Walking along the beach barefoot is the best way to keep your heals from getting the nasty cracks in them. Never have to use a pomus stone. But I do keep my toenails painted. Haven't used a hair dryer since we left the mariner more than 2 years ago.

It took us 3 years to get an inside shower that worked by turning tap on, prior to this we had solar bag on deck which gets tied to the boom, privacy was non-existent so I would wear a bikini when showering. If the weather was really cold and the solar bag not hot we would heat water on the stove and put a tarp on the floor use a bucket and flannel. Slept on a air mattress on the floor for nearly 2 years before we built the bed.

If a women really wants to live on a boat she can do without a lot of the mod-cons that come with a house. Think of it as a 5 star camping adventure.

Happy sailing always

Jackiy
Old 06-08-2006, 01:01 PM   #8
rod hodgson

Jackiy, I doffs me lid to you - the pioneering spirit of Auzzies isn't dead (Just don't ask me to share it with you!!!!) Your husband is obviously a lucky bloke.

Rod