Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-19-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
Rear Admiral

Default It's done and we feel so sad

I don't know why but its taken us 3 weeks to put Mico on the market. Every time we started to write the adv - I had to run down to her and fix, polish, clean or buy one more little thing. It's been like that for weeks. We feel like we're letting her down by buying another vessel. I guess thats an indication of how much we have loved her. I'm sure others here have experienced the same.

Was chatting to the owners of our new yacht last night and I could hear the anguish and sense of loss for them also as they pack up to move back home and hand their pride and joy to another to carry on the journey.

Not spruking her here but we have shared so much with you all about her over the years so thought I'd drop in the link so you can bid farewell with us also.

Used Alajuela 33’ Cutter for Sale | Yachts For Sale | Yachthub

Fair winds,

Mico

Old 04-20-2012, 12:46 AM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Hi there,

It's understandable that you're feeling sad--you're moving on to another boat and a different life w/o the boat you've put so much loving time and attention into. However, you'll always have a soft spot for her--and if you're lucky like we were you will be able to stay in touch with her new owners and enjoy hearing stories of their sailing with her!

I am hopeful that you can do the same for your new boat--keeping her old owners in the loop (if they want to be, that is...)

Our "other" boat, Stargazer, is in the Sea of Cortez the last we heard just a few weeks ago! She's having grand times whilst her owner fishes and enjoys the fine anchorages there.

We'll all look forward to welcoming Mico's "new" owner here!

Have a wonderful trip back with your new boat. Ummm...is the new boat going to be Mico II? Or, what is her name going to be? We can't wait to hear about it. Mico would likely be honored to have a Mico II carry you forward.

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:23 AM   #3
Rear Admiral

Yes, redbopeep - life is all about change and celebrating new beginnings.

We've decided to keep with current boat name of Australis in respect for her history and the adventures of her previous owners. Much the same as we'd like to see happen with Mico.

The one issue that is vexing us is what to do with our ships log.

We'd like to leave them with the new owners as part of her history but when you sit down and reread them - all the adventures, fears, joys and near misses come flooding back and we want to keep them to remind us.

This is something that has always vexed us with previous yachts we have owned. Is there a maritime tradition or rule for this? We'd be interested in hearing from others. I would imagine your log books would be even more so as a vivid narrative of your adventures aboard Redbopeep.

fair winds,

Mico
Old 04-20-2012, 05:52 AM   #4

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Hi Mico,

I am told by very traditional yachtsmen that the log goes with the boat. A visitors' log /trip log did come with Stargazer and we left it with the boat. It was not a complete history but it did give a little idea of her various trips and travels. Our present boat, Mahdee, did not come with her log books. We know from talking with the family of her original owner that HIS tradition was to pass the log books on to the next owner when he sold a boat and that should have happened. However, we also know from talking with the two owners before us that they did not receive the logs. We've contacted many of her previous owners and we've obtained stories and history of her travels from several of them. In her 81 years since launch, there is one 7 year period which is murky (post WWII until 1953) and another 5 years of murk in the mid-1960's. We've heard rumors of what she was doing in both cases but we've not confirmed with owners or owners' children.

Although people with US Navy history such as the original owner of our boat are very firm on leaving the ship's log with the ship, not many other people seem to be so "traditional" about this matter.

I'd suggest leaving the log books with the boat but to scan/copy them so you have that information forever with you. That is my own plan.

Fair winds,
Brenda

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
Rear Admiral

Good advice Redbopeep,

We'll scan out log book and leave it with Mico as part of her historical narrative.

Fair winds