Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
Rear Admiral

Default Its not a tuba!

One of the first things we salvaged from Mico when we put her up for sale was a tube of wasabi.

That wasabi took on a nautical life when we first brought it aboard our little 23' sloop we sailed from Perth to Cairns.

It sailed again with us aboard Mico to Vanuatu, New Caledonia and Papua New Guinea as well as countless trips up and down the Queensland coast.

It now sits aboard our 44 Antigua Ketch in Borneo.

That tube of wasabi means a lot to us.

It carries all our hopes, dreams and aspirations that one day…just one day…please, please oh please oh god - please let us catch a tuna!

Janice Joplin sang about wanting a Mercedes Benz and describes how her friends all drive Porches - she must make amends…

Well, everyone we've ever sailed with, catches a tuna and yet our tube of wasabi remains virginal 9 years on.

Well guess what?

I took the new owner of Mico for a sail out to one of the sand cays yesterday and as we left the marina, did my usual lotto fantasy trick of dropping a lure over the stern.

The new owner, bless his lil cotton socks, had an armful of notepads and a fistful of pens and quizzed me mercilessly for almost 3 hours on the way out, about what did this and what did that, whilst scribbling furiously and drawing countless Dali like pictorials.

I can't really can't blame him - taking on a new vessel is usually a heady mixture of blissful delight, complete ignorance and absolute terrification (a new word for 2013).

So yes - I'm distracted and its not until I realise that we are about to enter the green zone and go to pull the lure in that I realise I had a fish.

A big fish

A very big fish

A friggin TUNA!!!!!!!!

As I reeled it in across our wake, its head broke the surface in a dazzle of electric blue and finally, finally (oh god thank you) I got to yell 'get the wasabi!!!!!

Unfortunately, due to my lack of concentration - that was all I hauled in.

Just the head.

Something big and greedy had chomped it neatly below the gills - probably 3 hours back, just after we had left the marina.

So our tube of wasabi remains in its untouched state. A nautical version of a fire axe under glass. Unused and unattended but maybe, just maybe , like the fire axe, it will come in use one day.

We live in hope!

Fair winds,

Australis

Old 01-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Sod's law provides that you will catch your tuna on the day after you turf the wasabi due to it's use-by date being passed.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
Sod's law provides that you will catch your tuna on the day after you turf the wasabi due to it's use-by date being passed.
That reminds me ... must check the use-by date on my condoms.

Loved the wasabi story. :-)

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote