Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-28-2008, 06:04 PM   #1
Ensign

I hope to start a circumnavigation soon and I need a website to post pictures and a short blog of each part of my journey so that the people at home can keep up with my travels. Does anyone have any good suggestions as to which sites would be good for that????

Thanks

Sailorman14

Old 06-28-2008, 06:28 PM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Besides our own blogging system here (link at top of the page) which is really easy to use, you can also try Sailblogs .

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:57 PM   #3
Ensign

If you are looking for a free site you can also look at blogspot. You can see ours at http://www.svbillabong.blogspot.com for an example.

You can email in text and photographs to blogger from your boat email (we email a small photo and text using our satellite phone).

Also check out: http://www.creative-cruising.com/travel-we...-what-works.htm for our opinion on blogging / website management while cruising.

Billabong for Sale 44' Step aboard and go World Cruiser (in Turkey)

100's of Helpful Hints on What Works while Cruising
svbillabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:17 PM   #4
Ensign

We made our own free webpage through Yahoo (geocities). It is pretty easy to start, though you will probably want to learn HTML soon since frontpage and other basic web page composers tend to make the HTML file pretty junky and large (so you cannot post as much of YOUR information. We also post pictures on Panoramio and there are many other photo posting pages around like KODAK, etc. so you can keep that separate from the blog or whatever. We also use Winlink for email, and it is nice to post to YOTREPS or similar so folks can see where you are in the world.

best of luck.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:09 PM   #5
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG4JXT View Post
We made our own free webpage through Yahoo (geocities). It is pretty easy to start, though you will probably want to learn HTML soon since frontpage and other basic web page composers tend to make the HTML file pretty junky and large (so you cannot post as much of YOUR information).
I'll second the opinion of using Geocities/Yahoo. Long ago (2000) I started my website using a free Geocities account. By 2002 I had decided to purchase a domain name (www.seafarer-research-center.com) through Geocities, which costs a mere $11/month for hosting. I hand-wrote all the HTML, which isn't that hard to do if you keep the website somewhat basic. Definitely avoid using FrontPage!

You could also use MySpace.... Extremely easy to use and no coding ability needed. I'm thinking about going this route when I go cruising...
Old 08-07-2008, 09:20 AM   #6
Ensign

If you don't have net access onboard and are going to be places with mobile coverage then an sms update service like any of these http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2783951.stm is great. I use www.esendex.com/SMS-Blogging coupled with my wordpress.com blog and it works a treat! Just send a text message to the BlogIt number and it appears straight away on your blog. I haven't figured out if I can add pictures via an sms message yet though..

Privateer 20 "Tern"

Warrior 35 "Sea Eagle"

(A veritable aviary)

When it really boils down to it, life is great..
Marianne is offline   Reply With Quote