Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-16-2007, 03:17 AM   #1
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

Guns on board is a big enough debate... but what about knives on board... a lot of countries have restrictive customs laws about knives... In Australia for example you can't have any kind of pocket knife as I recall... flick knives and tactical knives in particular... maybe that law only applies to on land but what about on a boat in their waters??

Do you have knives, other than kitch knives, on board... what about declaring these to customs???

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:42 AM   #2
Lieutenant

Just so the situation is clear:

In Australia, it is illegal to import or possess "attack" type knifes like flick knives.

In my state (New South Wales), it is illegal to possess a knife in a public place (including on the water) unless you have a reasonable excuse.

However, the list of good reasons is quite wide:

(i) the lawful pursuit of the person’s occupation, education or training,

(ii) the preparation or consumption of food or drink,

(iii) participation in a lawful entertainment, recreation or sport,

or carrying the knife to or from any of the above.

It is specifically NOT legal to carry a knife just to defend yourself.

In practice, having a knife to do day to day tasks is not an issue. Boy scouts, fisherman and boaters do not get arrested.

But don't bring a flick knife, and don't walk around the street with a 12" knife in your belt (despite what Crocodile Dundee did in NY in Crocodile Dundee II)

cheers

duckie

Old 07-16-2007, 06:54 AM   #3
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

The Category 1 AYF racing, safety rules in Oz make a knife compulsory for yacht racing. The knife must be capable of cutting halyards and sheets and be accessible from the cockpit. I have one mounted in a lockable scabbard (to prevent the knife launching itself in bad weather) just inside the companionway door, which has a 120mm blade with a sharp plain edge on one side, and a heavily serrated edge on the other side of the blade.

David.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:14 PM   #4
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckie View Post
In Australia, it is illegal to import or possess "attack" type knifes like flick knives.
Which is a horrible law in my eyes... I always carry a flick knife, not for use as a weapon but as a tool because it is less bulky/obvious than a fixed blade but comes to hand as quickly and can be opened with one hand if the other is busy... say holding a rope that needs to be cut.

oh well, what can you do...

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:45 PM   #5
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

As Duckie points out, here are laws in Oz (as I am sure there are most civilised countries) against the personal carriage of concealable weapons. There are laws against folding, or what we call 'pen' knives, but they are predominantly governed by perceived use. If you were found in a nightclub at 3 in the morning with such a knife tucked in your sock, obviously the police would view it negatively. If you are a person who would in the normal course of daily events, need to keep a utility knife, you are not going to be dragged off to prison. In the context of daily use, these knives would be considered to be in the same category as a leatherman tool.

There are very definite laws against butterfly knives, and the traditional flick knife where the blade retracts, rather than folds into the handle, and they are classed very definitely as weapons rather than tools.

David

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:01 PM   #6
Rear Admiral

I always like to carry my Leatherman Multi-Purpose tool and use it 10 times a day, for something or other, on a slow day. As much as I like it, and use it, there are places where it can not be in my possession.

On aircraft it can be in the checked baggage. You DO NOT want the TSA - Traffic Security Administration (Part of Home Land Security) to find it on your person at the metal dector station. I am not sure about knives, but if it is a firearm, you are going to prison.

When entering a US federal government building, it is best to leave it elsewhere, at least hand it to them for safe keeping during your time there.

US state laws vary by state, but in many cases you can not enter a State Government Building carrying a knife or a gun.

* In Arizonia it is legal to carry and display a side arm with the proper license. There it is not uncommon to see that.

* In North Dakota it is legal and common to have a gun rack in the back window of your truck. Having one or two rifles (one high power, the other small caliber) and one shotgun in the rack is common. The guns can have ammo in them, but none in the firing chamber.

* If you drive across the state line to Minnesota, and forget to take down the display, you will be in big legal trouble. There they need to be in a gun case, with a trigger lock.

....When in Rome...

Harbor_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote