Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-29-2009, 09:03 PM   #15
Commander

Actually, I think she has around 6' of headroom, or could be easily modified (slightly higher freeboard) to get it. I e-mailed the designer about this a few years ago when I was thinking about building instead of buying.

Boat of my dreams is still the center-cockpit Freedom 40. I toured the original Santa Margarita, renamed Modesty, a few years ago when it was for sale a few hours south of me. I think he was asking $40k for it, and I couldn't get the loan.

I want one painted red, with red junk sails, and an oriental theme going on...

Old 12-30-2009, 12:10 AM   #16
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

The Freedom 40 is definitely a nice boat and definitely does have the whole sampan look going on... I'm not so sure about red, I'm more of an earth tone myself, but that would definitely be an eye catcher...

one other thing I would like to have in my dream boat aside from the super shallow draft is for her coach roof to be removeable so that I could use her as an open hold fishing boat when I'm not living on her... probably wouldn't be too hard for a designer to beef up the hull structure so that she doesn't rely on her deck for strength...

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:17 AM   #17
Commander

Gag! You'd never get the smell out!
Old 12-30-2009, 01:26 PM   #18
Admiral

bah, simple green can get anysmell out... ...but yeah, actually I agree... I wouldn't use it for a fishing boat like that until I'm DONE living on it... which with anyluck will mean I've got myself a waterfront cabin up some river in some tropical watering hole (thailand, bangladesh, honduras, nicuragua, dominican republic, maybe... ) where I can retire as a farang hermit...

hey we all gotta have our dreams.

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
Old 12-30-2009, 11:28 PM   #19
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by atavist View Post
We all gotta have our dreams.
I was going to retire to Castle Anthrax
Old 01-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #20
Rear Admiral

Home Port: Hamburg GER
Vessel Name: Aquaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
Getting away from leeboard issues--in terms of stability, that particular boat looks to be very sensitive to loading, IMHO. Its a "canoe" design and probably wonderfully fast but with questionable stability for bluewater sailing. Herreshoff designed some nice shoal draft boats--I suppose they are great for the shallow SE US as well as parts of the Caribbean where you could island hop without doing too much in the way of long passages. Monroe also designed numerous shoal draft boats--most with centerboards--for those cruising waters. The Monroe boats weren't known for their bluewater capabilities, just their gunkholing.

Have fun looking at boats
... to come back to the lee boards...

guess, they are around just in shallow and protected coastal waters for good reasons. Lee boards were developed along coasts and estuaries with shallow and to some extend protected waters. *So they originated in the Netherlands (fox 1956 might know more about it), but in smaller sizes and out of wood also further east along the Wadden Seas of the North Sea shores and its river estuaries. Their abilities to go to windward are not breathtaking and they don't have enough ballast. If they capsize, they really need outside help.*

There are many lee boarders around as traditional boats - the big units mostly doing professional charter business and as far as I know they are licenced only to cruising in protected coastal waters. Even though there ar many of them around in European waters (North Sea and Baltic) they are never seen seriously off shore.

Uwe

SY Aquaria* *

More on my Centurion 32:
http://www.cabinetdeparodontologie.n...ria/index.html
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Germany, Background, Cruising/Sailing the German Bight
Aquaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:11 PM   #21
Commander

Holy "have-your-cake-and-eat-it-to" BoatMan!

Check this one out!

http://billspringer.blogspot.com/2009/02/s...rly-42-rst.html

Of course, that's some $expensive$ cake!
Old 01-14-2010, 06:36 PM   #22
Admiral

That's pretty sweet... as you said, pricey, but sweet.