Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-02-2008, 05:40 PM   #15

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
I am not often right, according to my ex., so I may be wrong again but I have a problem with sheathing wooden boats.

Wood is a natural material which breathes. It allows moisture to pass through it. Also, when a hull dries the seams open thus, when sheathing a hull one is effectively putting a moisture barrier in place stopping water entering the boat through seams or being absorbed by the wood. In a way, this is what we want. It stops sea water entering the vessel but it must also be a surface for moisture to condense upon on the inside. I wonder therefore, do sheathed wooden boats not suffer from rot due to this?

I have no experience of sheathed craft, except for sheathing at and below the waterline to prevent ice damage, so I will be grateful for information on this.

Aye // Stephen
That one really goes off topic, here, Stephen. There's a forum where people argue about this all the time--go to www.woodenboatvb.com, register, and do a search about hull sheathing, etc. They're full of opinions about it there.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:32 PM   #16
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
That one really goes off topic, here, Stephen. There's a forum where people argue about this all the time--go to www.woodenboatvb.com, register, and do a search about hull sheathing, etc. They're full of opinions about it there.
True, and at the same time I am just progressing from the issue of sheathing made earlier. But thanks for the info. I will check the woodenboat site out.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 01:11 AM   #17

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
True, and at the same time I am just progressing from the issue of sheathing made earlier. But thanks for the info. I will check the woodenboat site out.

Aye // Stephen
Sorry for my curt reply! ,

I just wanted to run from the topic since folks line up with all kinds of wild ideas about it and (I think) there aren't so many wooden boat "cruisers" here. Having said that, we're planning on cruising in our wooden boat and perhaps there are more "lurkers" out there and the topic is of interest to others.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 12:41 AM   #18
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
Maybe your agent was "nice" and listed you as a fiberglass hull. "technically" you are, I suppose. It would be interesting to know but you probably have no way of finding out without risking your insurance.
Yep, they were so nice they ended up canceling the policy after all. Back to square one.