Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #101
Admiral

The photos in the PDF were of the AC 38 -- In the website that they are talking about a 39ft AC - Unfortunately I am over a 1,000 km from Phuket, But if you need specific questions answered I can get a friend who lives within a mile to go see the boat/s ( he has nothing to do with them).

I seem to recollect that the boat when it was new was fairly expensive. Another point it could be that the ACs that they have, are already 2/3 years old. They may need the money and therefore the price could be negotiable

Richard

Old 06-14-2011, 08:11 PM   #102
Lieutenant

Home Port: Georgetown
Vessel Name: Surprise

[QUOTE=stealthmode;1307905486]

PEARSON

LOA: 35'0'' (10.7 m)

Year: Mfg 1977 / M 1977

MFG: PEARSON

Model: 35

$23,500

______

I missed your comment here - still catching up on this incredible thread you have started.

I have looked at several Pearson 35s. I think this may be one of the best fits for your needs that I have recognized - but MMNETSEA and Silver Raven are both more eminently qualified to comment on this. The Pearson 35 did not match the aesthetic for my spouse but if I were just looking to sail in somethign basic for myself, I would probably be floating on one now.

The reason they may work well for you - other than being recommended by a few books and sailors: They are a production boat that was very popular which means there are many (over 500 built between 1968 an 1982), they are relatively well built and easy to maintain, (nothing fancy mind you, but adequate) and they can be single handed.

Being that they are plentiful there are good prices to be had - I had a line on one that would have been about $20K (US) and in decent enough shape to consider a fair weather passage.

Is it still on your list?

Old 06-14-2011, 09:43 PM   #103
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDinghy View Post

PEARSON

LOA: 35'0'' (10.7 m)

Year: Mfg 1977 / M 1977

MFG: PEARSON

Model: 35

$23,500

______

I missed your comment here - still catching up on this incredible thread you have started.

I have looked at several Pearson 35s. I think this may be one of the best fits for your needs that I have recognized - but MMNETSEA and Silver Raven are both more eminently qualified to comment on this. The Pearson 35 did not match the aesthetic for my spouse but if I were just looking to sail in somethign basic for myself, I would probably be floating on one now.

The reason they may work well for you - other than being recommended by a few books and sailors: They are a production boat that was very popular which means there are many (over 500 built between 1968 an 1982), they are relatively well built and easy to maintain, (nothing fancy mind you, but adequate) and they can be single handed.

Being that they are plentiful there are good prices to be had - I had a line on one that would have been about $20K (US) and in decent enough shape to consider a fair weather passage.

Is it still on your list?
Yes CaptainDingy, very much on my list this end, for me to gut the inside and turn it into my kind of living-room is very easy to do.

I would sail her as is and soon get it to my brothers yard where I can soon turn the inside into a more stately place to live. This part unless I can get a mint condition one at a bargain is not a problem.

As long as the boat all-over is sound, a bit of a scruffy or tattered living room is not an issue, doors broken, drawers not working properly, missing or broken handles etc, all this kind of stuff I will gladly do myself as then I get it looking the way I want it.

A boat that needs me to spend weeks on it to get it ready before I can sail her is now not on my list of wants. Only one that needs TLC on the inside.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:01 PM   #104
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post

Stealth,

I guess if one was on holiday in the BVI, it might be worthwhile having a look at that boat - otherwise it appears to be one those for sale that has lot more wrong with it than is being disclosed. EG. does the engine and transmission actually work?. Is the mast on the deck? etc..

Perhaps, Back to the drawing board. Maybe to rethink your project in terms of your objectives for the next few years.

C L I C K

Another C L I C K

And Another[/url

ALSO THIS ONE

ANOTHER COLUMBIA

ANOTHER CLOSE BY

[url="http://yachts.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=182940"]AND H E R E
I'm on the floor with the fishing vessel you found, brilliant, but short lived as they need a tanker along side to keep re-fuelling them.

800 gallons and what happens when I run out in the middle of no-where, i'd stuggle with oars I think and never be able to keep her in fuel.

The link on the Columbia doesn't work so I can't see that one.

But the link on the Noray is good and yes I would be happy in her if she was sound. I remember reading a while back they were known as swans in the water as they used to waddle there back-end going through the water, at least if my memory serves me right as i'm sure they were Noray Yachts. Also built like tanks I believe.

Brilliant post though but I think i'll stay with the idea of wind power and sails.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:28 PM   #105
Lieutenant

Quote:

Stealth,

Perhaps, Back to the drawing board. Maybe to rethink your project in terms of your objectives for the next few years.
My plans and objectives are already set-out for years ahead, no problem on this side.

It won't take me long to uproot and be off, being doing it part way around the world since I left school.

I can work in a lot of countries world-wide where others can't even get a visa, let alone a work permit.

I am able to support myself on the water financially under sail or laid-up as it will be almost the same I’m doing now.

I'm fine with sitting in a lovely deserted cove or island away from civilization doing this from time to time.

I have relations in New Zealand who could do with a little visit in the next few years.

The money coming in when I’m under sail is not a problem; I just am not waiting another year or so to do this. Yes I'd have a lot more money to buy a better yacht but I’ll also be a year closer to meeting my maker.

I can get a boat just now that will do me for 2-3 years, then I can see how much I love the life-style, and I will be in a better position to buy about 4 times the amount I have just now if I continue with this.

I simply don't have the cash right now to get anything more than I'm looking for and this doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I've gone with-out and done with-out over my life-time to get the things I want, but now I want something for only me again, which is too dart around the world, or part of it, and explore before it's too late and I'm not even able to climb a mast or jump around.

My options are a lot more than the average person on the planet so this is already sorted out in my planning.

So you will see I have thought this through with all the might and muster I can get together.

All I need is a safe, seaworthy yacht, which after simply finding this forum by chance and listening and learning from you all in here I'm further ahead than I expected to be at this point.<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">

I have a lot of people around also who are behind me on this one.

I'm not a normal follow the flow or rat-race follower as I sometimes call it, and when I get an idea in my head to help me enjoy life I'm off, too much planning is no use and a waste of one’s life and too many people the world over plan, plan and plan some more, never going to happen, I’m happy the way I do things.

I have never in my life ever borrowed money and never will, I bought my only house cash a long time ago when a house was about a 1/10 of the price nowadays, okay I sold it a few years later to fund my travelling, hiking, climbing etc but not a problem.

I say this because I could go out and ask no problem for a loan but them I'm tied to this and owned by someone till the debt is paid off.

I can't and never have allowed myself to do this.

Hope this makes it easier to see I have my objects already planned out, maybe not what the world expects of me, or indeed what most of the people in the world will shy away from in the way I just decide to do something, but I am on the road now and putting this into action.

All I need is a nice cheap seaworthy yacht.

Sailing it, and everything else associated with the lifestyle is seriously not a problem and nothing I think even enters my mind on any kind of doubt about this.

I want a yacht,

I'm asking the world for help, in any shape or form.

All I need to do is get a yacht with-in my budget which there are plenty of out there to be had and all the help I get from the world in steering me to the right kind of seaworthy yacht I'll be safe in.

I'm not interested in becoming a racer, or competing in sailor of the year regattas or anything remotely like this.

I don’t know what any of you do or how you support yourselves, but it never crossed my mind as what anyone does is down to them.

I'll be fine, but thanks for the concern MMNETSEA

Old 06-16-2011, 12:38 AM   #106
Lieutenant

This is close to home and worth a visit on the motorbike.

http://yachts.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=185685
Old 06-16-2011, 03:01 AM   #107
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthmode View Post

This is close to home and worth a visit on the motorbike.

http://yachts.apollo...phtml?id=185685
G'day 'stealth'. YEA, YEA. Now you taliking business. That's the first 'real saling' sail boat I've see you list - so far. Don't like the mainsail method - robs to much drive from the mail - but the rest of the boat - shows many signs of having been sailed by someone that really did sail it & somewhat well. I AM IMPRESSED. Let us know what you see when you've crawled all over it. Sure is worth a trip. IMHO. Great looking yacht, well done - in your search. Ciao, james

Old 06-16-2011, 09:06 AM   #108
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Raven View Post

G'day 'stealth'. YEA, YEA. Now you taliking business. That's the first 'real saling' sail boat I've see you list - so far. Don't like the mainsail method - robs to much drive from the mail - but the rest of the boat - shows many signs of having been sailed by someone that really did sail it & somewhat well. I AM IMPRESSED. Let us know what you see when you've crawled all over it. Sure is worth a trip. IMHO. Great looking yacht, well done - in your search. Ciao, james

Thanks Silver Raven,

Still cramming in much learning and doing a few navigation exercises using old tide data etc. Amoung the many other things i'm getting to grips with.

I roughly know now the type I want is going to be another £5-7,000 on top of what I wanted on my £12,000 to be ready to sail.

I've also got a call-back about an Atlantic Clipper which is also ready to go.

On the S&S 37' the owner will not budge on the price and reckons he should have put it up for more money than the price it's at just now. but i'll see what happens when I turn-up in person.

People never seem straight on a phone but thats life.

It would just mean if I spend this much I've to work a bit longer to get the money back into my float.

I've allowed a lot of money to one side for real emergencies and running/living cost rather than spend it all on the boat then have nothing to live on.

This is why I'm being so tight on price, all very well getting a yacht twice the price i'm looking at, but then it drops my whole plans to be ready to go in November/December.

So i'm sticking to my original £12,000 and if nearer the end of the year and i'm really struggling to find one i'll up the price only then as the time gets nearer for me to take-off.

So please anyone who finds anything out there you reckon is suited to me, still bear in mind I am NOT looking to pay any more than my £12,000 so yachts at £25-30,000 sterling are NOT what I want.

http://yachts.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=147002

I have looked at this one already in my searching and somehow it has come back to me in another e-mail.

Two sails which is what we've decided is not any more benefical and actually more of something that can go wrong or twice as much to maintain.

I also have another one here in the UK, at the opposite end of the country to me and at first she reads very good and is also ready to go.

But I don't like her, colour wise, and it just seems so old and dated.

Van de Stadt Legend 34Van de Stadt Legend 34'

http://yachts.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=193554

Also the 36' to 40' bracket seems to have grown on me with the 34' now looking too small.

I say this after looking in the 36' - 38' range and have grown to like the space it gives over the slightly more crammed 31' - 34' range.

I also know now as you all have pointed out that some smaller boats are larger so to speak and I will bear this in mind when searching and looking for one.

Both these two are in the price range sort of, but not for me as my first boat
Old 06-16-2011, 09:27 AM   #109
Admiral

Again we have a broker's description of a yacht in which the word 'new' is inserted. In this case when describing one of the 4 important components " In 1998 she was fitted with a new DV 24hp BUKH diesel ( the original 20hp head gasket went.)"

Is it the same engine with a new head gasket fitted in 1998, or is it a "new" engine fitted in 1998 - 13 YEARS AGO !

If one has a look at the specs for this boat's engine here:-

C L I C K

It could be that there is a serious potential problem. Marine diesel engines usually are fitted with heat exchangers and the engine block is full of fresh water, the block is cooled in a closed system by the fresh water circulating through the heat exchanger and the block, this water is cooled by SEA water being pumped through the exchanger and out through the exhaust.

The Engine is NOT new but 13 years old, while it may have only 300 hours on the clock - if it has been left for long periods full of salt water then ????

Does that 300 hours give another clue to the boats general usage? There is nothing worse than a boat just sitting on the hard or on a berth for month after month; year after year.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:21 PM   #110
Lieutenant

Quote:

Again we have a broker's description of a yacht in which the word 'new' is inserted. In this case when describing one of the 4 important components " In 1998 she was fitted with a new DV 24hp BUKH diesel ( the original 20hp head gasket went.)"

Is it the same engine with a new head gasket fitted in 1998, or is it a "new" engine fitted in 1998 - 13 YEARS AGO !

If one has a look at the specs for this boat's engine here:-

C L I C K

It could be that there is a serious potential problem. Marine diesel engines usually are fitted with heat exchangers and the engine block is full of fresh water, the block is cooled in a closed system by the fresh water circulating through the heat exchanger and the block, this water is cooled by SEA water being pumped through the exchanger and out through the exhaust.

The Engine is NOT new but 13 years old, while it may have only 300 hours on the clock - if it has been left for long periods full of salt water then ????

Does that 300 hours give another clue to the boats general usage? There is nothing worse than a boat just sitting on the hard or on a berth for month after month; year after year.
Good points, I read it as the 24hp is a new diesel engine and the original was a 20hp diesel.

4 hp difference, but a phone call away to ask which is the right explanation of the wording.

As you say if only a head gasket fitted then yes i'll be taking the price of a reconditioned engine off the asking price, possible blocked or corroded waterways which I'd have to remove the head again to inspect, the block and head, and then if bad a reconditioned unit.

I left a message on owners answer phone so have to wait till he gets back to me.

Again no problem as it's in the asking.

But the good thing in all this are that the boats i'm seeing just now are on my doorstep, so repairs are now no problem.

I'll also ask about the hours being so low over a long period on the engine and how long she has laid up, either in or out of water.

Again another point you make worth deeper probing of the owner.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:36 PM   #111
Lieutenant

Quote:

They are closed sytem engines when water is circulated along with antifreeze and a heat exchanger.

An open system will use raw water, fresh or salt to cool the engine block pumped in and out via a circulation pump.

As in you say in the above statement it goes against what I know.

Either it's a closed or open system, or is the fresh water closed and around the heat exchanger a water-jacket fitted which also pumps sea water through it to cool the internal fresh water which is also getting pumped through the engine.

Can you explain more please.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:58 PM   #112
Lieutenant

Okay MMNETSEA, a quick crash course on marine engines and easy to now know and understand what you meant by closed and at the same time open.

My theory was fine and right but I had to go out and read up on marine engines, seawater and fresh water particular of present day.

As to makers etc, the same as cars and electrical motors, you find out by hearing whats out there and others use.

I found this link which will help explain open and closed systems of marine engines on boats.

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/cooling.htm

A popped head gasket on a fresh water system is not always as serious as a raw water system pumping sea-water through her.

Both types of water are seperate and the heat exchanger only uses the seawater. The engine block uses only fresh and antifreeze if the owners have kept up with this.

If the engine has not been looked after and antifreeze not used or changed, then you are in trouble, the same as any land combustion engine, blocked waterways as oppossed to rusted through waterways is the norm on this.

So again thanks for the pointers and now up to speed on this one.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:38 AM   #113
Admiral

Quote:

A popped head gasket on a fresh water system is not always as serious as a raw water system pumping sea-water through her.

Both types of water are separate and the heat exchanger only uses the seawater.
Hi,

just to clarify :- A 'popped' head gasket can be very serious for both types of cooling systems. In a system where the engine is full of fresh water in a closed circuit, once the head gasket blows and the water is pumped out, it does not take long for the engine to overheat and if your lucky = partial seize. If unlucky a full seize and a engine rebuild.

Whereas in a engine that pumps sea water continuously though the engine without an heat exchanger - the amount of sea water pumped through will probably exceed the amount being blown out through the failed gasket, therefore (apart from sea water sprayed all over the engine and surrounds) not likely to destroy the engine.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:30 AM   #114
Admiral

Quote:

Both types of water are separate and the heat exchanger only uses the seawater.
Further Clarification :-

Where the boat is in the sea, the Heat Exchanger uses both raw and fresh water. Inside the heat exchanger compartment, see picture:-

Click image for larger version

Name:	Heat Exchanger 2.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	1727

The part with the bundle of small copper tubes carries the fresh water while surrounding them is raw water carrying the heat away to be exhausted together with the engine gases.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:46 PM   #115
Lieutenant

Quote:

Further Clarification :-

Where the boat is in the sea, the Heat Exchanger uses both raw and fresh water. Inside the heat exchanger compartment, see picture:-

Attachment 1727

The part with the bundle of small copper tubes carries the fresh water while surrounding them is raw water carrying the heat away to be exhausted together with the engine gases.
MMnetsea,

you are a step ahead of me, i'm looking at different types of exchangers just now and the internal workings.

Although the engine has a fault or problem, I'm not bothered in the slightest. All this will come out in the wash when I'm actually checking it out. Only then can I decide if it's bad or okay. This also will give me bargaining power on the price.

As to the water systems i'll soon get to grips with them and what-ever make, type, is in the boat I buy.

My brother also has phoned me with some words of ease.

Only other thing he mentioned was to watch out for seized linkages that are actually bolted to the engine/block. (This I know all too well already)

He has so many repairs involving the removing of the exchangers/exhaust, where studs just snap or are so rusted they are no longer hexagonal, so hello drill, easy-outs, helicoils, but unlike cars and vans you mostly can actually work with the block in place.

As you know a snapped stud in an engine in a car 9/10 times involves removing the cyclinder-head or entire engine if the stud snapped in the block.

Everything else is superficial to the state of the engine, i.e, hoses, pumps, clips, attachments which can be replaced no problem.

His last line was brilliant of which I would actually do.

If the engine packs up and dies, just mount the outboard over the back and head up coast to him as he has many a yacht and boat which they go out to in the North and this is how they get them back to the marina with-out having to use the tug to pull it in. Size limitation of said boat/yacht obviously.

( to get to my brother you have a 66 mile stretch of water, loch ness, which is lochs and locks, so you need power, and getting through the locks with a tug is so long campared to what they do with the outboard.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:51 PM   #116
Lieutenant

MMNETSEA,

Take me in as deep as you want to go, not a problem this end as I'd learn it on the water in time.

Now is as good a time as any.

(But actual boat-builders/designers, not too much on them, only the basics will do me just now)
Old 06-18-2011, 03:39 AM   #117
Admiral

It has apparent that ideas, assistance,clarifications,links etc are no longer helpful.

Therefore good luck on your search and if you eventually find the boat that matches your needs and pocket, fair winds.