Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 01:38 AM   #113
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthmode View Post

A popped head gasket on a fresh water system is not always as serious as a raw water system pumping sea-water through her.

Both types of water are separate and the heat exchanger only uses the seawater.
Hi,

just to clarify :- A 'popped' head gasket can be very serious for both types of cooling systems. In a system where the engine is full of fresh water in a closed circuit, once the head gasket blows and the water is pumped out, it does not take long for the engine to overheat and if your lucky = partial seize. If unlucky a full seize and a engine rebuild.

Whereas in a engine that pumps sea water continuously though the engine without an heat exchanger - the amount of sea water pumped through will probably exceed the amount being blown out through the failed gasket, therefore (apart from sea water sprayed all over the engine and surrounds) not likely to destroy the engine.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:30 AM   #114
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthmode View Post

Both types of water are separate and the heat exchanger only uses the seawater.
Further Clarification :-

Where the boat is in the sea, the Heat Exchanger uses both raw and fresh water. Inside the heat exchanger compartment, see picture:-

Heat Exchanger 2.jpg

The part with the bundle of small copper tubes carries the fresh water while surrounding them is raw water carrying the heat away to be exhausted together with the engine gases.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:46 PM   #115
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post

Further Clarification :-

Where the boat is in the sea, the Heat Exchanger uses both raw and fresh water. Inside the heat exchanger compartment, see picture:-

Attachment 1727

The part with the bundle of small copper tubes carries the fresh water while surrounding them is raw water carrying the heat away to be exhausted together with the engine gases.
MMnetsea,

you are a step ahead of me, i'm looking at different types of exchangers just now and the internal workings.

Although the engine has a fault or problem, I'm not bothered in the slightest. All this will come out in the wash when I'm actually checking it out. Only then can I decide if it's bad or okay. This also will give me bargaining power on the price.

As to the water systems i'll soon get to grips with them and what-ever make, type, is in the boat I buy.

My brother also has phoned me with some words of ease.

Only other thing he mentioned was to watch out for seized linkages that are actually bolted to the engine/block. (This I know all too well already)

He has so many repairs involving the removing of the exchangers/exhaust, where studs just snap or are so rusted they are no longer hexagonal, so hello drill, easy-outs, helicoils, but unlike cars and vans you mostly can actually work with the block in place.

As you know a snapped stud in an engine in a car 9/10 times involves removing the cyclinder-head or entire engine if the stud snapped in the block.

Everything else is superficial to the state of the engine, i.e, hoses, pumps, clips, attachments which can be replaced no problem.

His last line was brilliant of which I would actually do.

If the engine packs up and dies, just mount the outboard over the back and head up coast to him as he has many a yacht and boat which they go out to in the North and this is how they get them back to the marina with-out having to use the tug to pull it in. Size limitation of said boat/yacht obviously.

( to get to my brother you have a 66 mile stretch of water, loch ness, which is lochs and locks, so you need power, and getting through the locks with a tug is so long campared to what they do with the outboard.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:51 PM   #116
Lieutenant

MMNETSEA,

Take me in as deep as you want to go, not a problem this end as I'd learn it on the water in time.

Now is as good a time as any.

(But actual boat-builders/designers, not too much on them, only the basics will do me just now)
Old 06-18-2011, 03:39 AM   #117
Admiral

It has apparent that ideas, assistance,clarifications,links etc are no longer helpful.

Therefore good luck on your search and if you eventually find the boat that matches your needs and pocket, fair winds.