Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 11:52 PM   #61
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafarer View Post

I think if you go aboard more boats you will find that 32' is not that much smaller than 34', and indeed it all depends on the make and model of the boat. Some 34' boats will have a much bigger cockpit and smaller cabin and actually have less space than a 32' boat with smaller cockpit and bigger cabin, etc.

Take a look at Freedom yachts. Even the ketches (especially the ketches). No need to replace standing rigging if there isn't any!

Also look at Watkins. I love their 32/33 model, and they have a nice 36 as well. These were very stoutly built boats!

Cal also made a lot of good boats- many in the sailboat hall of fame!
Seafarer, spot on regarding the LOA measurement vs Actual space. One of my first monohulls a Nantucket Island 33 - designed by Peter Cole, had more space than any 36ft boat. The aft cabin had a king size bed, the cabin was separate to the saloon - giving real privacy. Click image for larger version

Name:	NANTUCKET ISLAND Laidback.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	1722

Old 06-07-2011, 08:06 AM   #62
Ensign

Hey guys! just wanted to ask where or how can i inquire about Yacht Charter

Old 06-07-2011, 08:21 AM   #63
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotWheels View Post

Hey guys! just wanted to ask where or how can i inquire about Yacht Charter
That should be easy just visit the link that you provided in your question

(B.T.W the link was removed because we don't encourage posts of this kind)
Old 06-07-2011, 08:37 PM   #64
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post

Three important matters that should be factored in when buying a boat in the USA for delivery to the UK and that is the cost of a delivery crew, the cost of commissioning the boat for the Atlantic passage and the VAT that UK customs will levy on the boat.

Whereas the Rival mentioned is already in Scotland and the tax PAID.
I hear what you are saying,

I have worked alll this out already as I'm not going to be paying any vat on her. I can come back home with her as long as I don't import her to the UK. I know it can be more money for others to do if they want to buy cheap abroad to import and them pay someone to ship it back to them and get the boat up to EU standards. This is not what i'm planning as I don't have this sort of money.

I have a budget to stick too and have already gone up but i'm not prepared to go up any more. I'm not looking for a first class fitted, royalty or luxury crusier with a price tag to match the high life of rich people, i'm looking for a cheap bargain which is for the average person of the world on little money. I don't own a house to sell in life any more.

I need a hand anyway where-ever I am in the world till I learn to sail myself confidently so I will take crew from the off where it's the UK or the USA, this is not an extra expense for me to worry about.

Month upon month I will have money to do many repairs and jobs on the move but i'm not waiting months and months to save up more money to buy a fully re-built boat at over the odds of the asking price.

I'd rather be on the move on the water as I'm well able to do a lot of the running repairs myself.

At present I could live on the boat till she is ready for the water again, a lot cheaper than I am paying in costs to live just now.

I'm not getting a yacht to be sailing around the world into marinas and expensive docks and eating in restaurants or entertaining in upper-class places. My idea of fun will be to moore up in the back of beyond where there are no humans or very little.

I know what you are saying but this have been gone over already by me in this post.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #65
Lieutenant

Quote:

I think if you go aboard more boats you will find that 32' is not that much smaller than 34', and indeed it all depends on the make and model of the boat. Some 34' boats will have a much bigger cockpit and smaller cabin and actually have less space than a 32' boat with smaller cockpit and bigger cabin, etc.

Take a look at Freedom yachts. Even the ketches (especially the ketches). No need to replace standing rigging if there isn't any!

Also look at Watkins. I love their 32/33 model, and they have a nice 36 as well. These were very stoutly built boats!

Cal also made a lot of good boats- many in the sailboat hall of fame!
Hi there Seafarer, thanks for the makes and types, i'm looking at everything out there in the world. I know some boats are more roomy inside than others that may be larger over-alI. I want to be in deep water a lot so this is why I want a larger overall boat. 36'-38' is a good size for singlehanding as is the 32'-34' range but i'd rather get a bigger one that way need some work done as opposed to a smaller one ready to go and never be happy because in the back of my mind I've read too many stories and journeys now to feel as safe in a smaller boat. It's also harder work in a smaller one on rough seas.

The larger size will also be easier on the waters waves which i'm also thinking about.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:12 PM   #66
Lieutenant

And now I see you can have a 34' yacht that is smaller in the water than a 32' yacht.

For this I eat my words and apoligize to you all, simply for me not seeing this and thinking you were taking me off my original plans of 34' - 38'

An example:

11m Bristol Sloop 1973

34' 8" LOA

23' 9" LWL

32' Rival 1979

31' 10" LOA

24' 6" LWL
Old 06-07-2011, 11:01 PM   #67
Lieutenant

32' Rival 32
  • Year: 1979
  • Current Price: £ 25,950 Tax Paid
  • Located in Rhu Marina, United Kingdom
I left a ridiculous offer on her and it would actually serve two purposes in one hit if the owner accepts.

Me with egg on my face for having a go at you all for me thinking you are trying to get me to spend more than I want on a boat.

The other purpose it would serve is me, and very well. I love her looks and shape/design but not getting my hopes up at this stage.

I’ll let you know what I left as an offer once she is sold as I don’t think she will be around for too long.

Just because things are over-priced over here in the UK it doesn’t mean they don't sell.

MMNETSEA, can I have some humble pie?

Old 06-07-2011, 11:59 PM   #68
Commander

I'm not sure where you are getting the idea that you'll be safer in rough seas in a larger boat, especially one that is only 2-6' larger. There are 24' boats that are perfectly safe enough to take around the world. I have even considered selling my 35' that needs work to buy a 24' that doesn't and just start cruising now.

The good people of this forum talked me out of it, of course, citing the ability of my larger boat to carry more provisions and travel much faster. There is much more difference between a 24' and a 35' than there is between a 32 and a 38, though.

Still, if I hadn't already fallen into an excellent deal on what I have I'd be looking for 24-32' boats and focusing on the smaller end of my scale to keep associated costs down. Everything costs less on a smaller boat!
Old 06-08-2011, 01:09 AM   #69
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthmode View Post

32' Rival 32
  • Year: 1979
  • Current Price: £ 25,950 Tax Paid
  • Located in Rhu Marina, United Kingdom
I left a ridiculous offer on her and it would actually serve two purposes in one hit if the owner accepts.

Me with egg on my face for having a go at you all for me thinking you are trying to get me to spend more than I want on a boat.

The other purpose it would serve is me, and very well. I love her looks and shape/design but not getting my hopes up at this stage.

I’ll let you know what I left as an offer once she is sold as I don’t think she will be around for too long.

Just because things are over-priced over here in the UK it doesn’t mean they don't sell.

MMNETSEA, can I have some humble pie?
No ways eat humble pie. Our discussions have been very good, insofar as being able to highlight some of the issues when searching for a boat. What appeals is a very personal thing. The reason for thousands of boat designs, shapes and sizes really demonstrates the need to satisfy human diverse perspectives on what would suit their needs and aspirations.

It might a good opportunity to explore in more detail the cost of commissioning a boat to cross the Atlantic, the cost of a delivery crew, the process of arriving in the UK by boat without going through customs. Also getting a fix on what VAT would be levied depending on the age of the boat, its value and also if the boat is brought in as personal effects where the boat cannot be sold for a period - thus avoiding tax. Some research welcomed.

Stealth, thanks very much for sharing your ideas.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:59 PM   #70
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post

No ways eat humble pie. Our discussions have been very good, insofar as being able to highlight some of the issues when searching for a boat. What appeals is a very personal thing. The reason for thousands of boat designs, shapes and sizes really demonstrates the need to satisfy human diverse perspectives on what would suit their needs and aspirations.

It might a good opportunity to explore in more detail the cost of commissioning a boat to cross the Atlantic, the cost of a delivery crew, the process of arriving in the UK by boat without going through customs. Also getting a fix on what VAT would be levied depending on the age of the boat, its value and also if the boat is brought in as personal effects where the boat cannot be sold for a period - thus avoiding tax. Some research welcomed.

Stealth, thanks very much for sharing your ideas.
Hey no problem, and too all, the couple of posts of mine before this are out of character.

I'll make the excuse as I stopped smoking, third week now after 28 years, simply went cold turkey on it, and I seem to be snapping at what people are saying, sorry all, i'll watch my mouth for the next few weeks till the side-effects go away.

All i'll say is it's not as easy to stop smoking as non-smokers will keep telling you.

I only did this so I can get fitter again as I don't want to be in the middle of rough weather and suddenly need a fag to calm me down, I'd rather have adrenilin pumping through me, much more fun.

I got a phone-call on a 46' yacht with extensive work being done over her life-time and excellent survey.

She is moored in the South of France.

This is as much as I know till I get another e-mail showing me what the yacht is. I'll be back in here when I know. Price is out of my range but i'll have a go.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:17 PM   #71
Lieutenant

Quote:

I'm not sure where you are getting the idea that you'll be safer in rough seas in a larger boat, especially one that is only 2-6' larger. There are 24' boats that are perfectly safe enough to take around the world. I have even considered selling my 35' that needs work to buy a 24' that doesn't and just start cruising now.

The good people of this forum talked me out of it, of course, citing the ability of my larger boat to carry more provisions and travel much faster. There is much more difference between a 24' and a 35' than there is between a 32 and a 38, though.

Still, if I hadn't already fallen into an excellent deal on what I have I'd be looking for 24-32' boats and focusing on the smaller end of my scale to keep associated costs down. Everything costs less on a smaller boat!
I'm an a learning curve this end of actually getting to grips with boats, designs and how they fair against other boats.

I know from life that every extra foot of displacement in water makes a smoother ride on the waves.

I may come out at times with things that I've not fully understood or researched but i'll be the fisrt to admit if I get it wrong.

As you say on the smaller size, you're right as I have read plenty of blog's, journeys and stories the last few weeks on perfectly able small craft sailing non-stop for years around blue water in all weathers.

I choose the slightly bigger size than my first thoughts of buying a 27'-29' for a number of reasons.

You mention 1 very good one, room for provisions. I don't care if on my travels I end up stuck at sea for a couple of months and i thinking is a bigger size will be easier to sit it out on.

I have a brother who is actually a great help in all this as he is a marine engineer up in Inverness in the North of Scotland. He is pestering me at present to get what ever I want and bring it too him as he is threatening to rip out the engine and rebuild my boat with an electric motor/generator which make the boat totally green and i'll be able to use the prop on calm days as opposed to burning tons of fuel to do the same thing.

I'm still trying to understand the logic to all this and am also wondering if they are so good why do so many boats have engines that burn fuel?

I'm still looking into this side of things and until I'm in an actual boat of my own, everything is open for debate.

Also remember I need peoples thought and ideas, no matter how blunt and I think we have all been talking enough here for us all to say what we think, no matter if right or wrong as one day someone else reading this will have all this stage laid out for them to follow, just like i'm going through here and I see a couple of others also doing the same.

Thanks for the comments and keep them coming.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #72
Commander

Quote:

I have a brother who is actually a great help in all this as he is a marine engineer up in Inverness in the North of Scotland. He is pestering me at present to get what ever I want and bring it too him as he is threatening to rip out the engine and rebuild my boat with an electric motor/generator which make the boat totally green and i'll be able to use the prop on calm days as opposed to burning tons of fuel to do the same thing.

I'm still trying to understand the logic to all this and am also wondering if they are so good why do so many boats have engines that burn fuel?
Batteries don't outlast engines, and it costs just as much, or more, to replace a battery bank big enough to run an electric motor that can push a sailboat for a sustained period of time. Basically, for anything more than getting in and out of an anchorage you'll be running the generator to run the motor.

It also creates a more complicated system, which the marine environment is excellent at destroying. With more reliable and efficient electric motors and longer-lasting batteries, I'm sure this propulsion system will become the normal way of doing things in the future.

Perhaps someday someone will turn the thousands of pounds of lead ballast in the keel into a giant battery and then we'll have more capacity than we know what to do with!
Old 06-09-2011, 04:58 PM   #73
Rear Admiral

Home Port: Hamburg
Vessel Name: Aquaria

Quote:

Batteries don't outlast engines, and it costs just as much, or more, to replace a battery bank big enough to run an electric motor that can push a sailboat for a sustained period of time. Basically, for anything more than getting in and out of an anchorage you'll be running the generator to run the motor.

YES. You really must love the sailing from the very beginning to th very end of your trip. With today's traditional lead batteries (no matter, if wet, Gel or AGM) the distances are indeed restricted, especially when motoring at high speed.

It also creates a more complicated system, which the marine environment is excellent at destroying. With more reliable and efficient electric motors and longer-lasting batteries, I'm sure this propulsion system will become the normal way of doing things in the future.

NO. There are already some systems on the market that are especially built for the marine use. Modern electric motors are very efficient and very reliable (as long as you keep them dry and there is not much that can break), but we are indeed waiting for longer lasting batteries!

Perhaps someday someone will turn the thousands of pounds of lead ballast in the keel into a giant battery and then we'll have more capacity than we know what to do with!
I hope it's okay to put Â*my comments into the quote..

@ stealth: good to see that your brother is pestering you to get an electric motor! Â* But you have to be perfectly aware about you motoring habits and needs - then you can decide if an electric motor is a good thing to have or if a Diesel suits you better. Â* To have a Diesel-Electric system (hybrid) on board of a 32ft Â*boat will be quite expensive to install and the restricted space will not necessarily allow the installation of a diesel generator and enough battery capacity to really enjoy running under electric power for a longer time.

I love electric motors and I have one, making my boat a little more green, but I know that I won't do any more motoring than in and out of a marina or an anchorage.Â* Â* Â*KLICK HERE to see more . Â*

Uwe

SY Aquaria

More on my Centurion 32:
https://www.cabinetdeparodontologie.n...ria/index.html
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Germany, Background, Cruising/Sailing the German Bight
Old 06-10-2011, 01:17 AM   #74
Lieutenant

Quote:

Agree all the way but it was just a passing notion and worth a closer look into just incase there was actually a use in it.

As you say the batteries needed to be carried is a lot of dead weight as I would pressume you use a lot to be able to hold enough power, one set for charging and another for actual usage.

The drag of the towed generator, maybe not notiveable under good sail.

You can't use the drag generator really while you use the electric motor as it would waste more electric than it generates.

I like the lead ballast idea and have heard this on my travels over the years.

My days of thinking up and designing stuff like this are way over and I have no intention of going back to this way of life or the intensity of it.

Lovely comments and I think we can all leave this one out of the running for me but I will keep it in my head.

Remember i'm talking about zero expense for the system, i'll get the actual make and type as this one I'm talking about replaces the actaul engine.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:34 AM   #75
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaria View Post

I hope it's okay to put my comments into the quote..

@ stealth: good to see that your brother is pestering you to get an electric motor! But you have to be perfectly aware about you motoring habits and needs - then you can decide if an electric motor is a good thing to have or if a Diesel suits you better. To have a Diesel-Electric system (hybrid) on board of a 32ft boat will be quite expensive to install and the restricted space will not necessarily allow the installation of a diesel generator and enough battery capacity to really enjoy running under electric power for a longer time.

I love electric motors and I have one, making my boat a little more green, but I know that I won't do any more motoring than in and out of a marina or an anchorage. KLICK HERE to see more .

Uwe

SY Aquaria
Just read your post after I posted my last comment and before reading about your boat.

Food for thought, definately, and it seems to be fine for you.

I will never go to sea in a petrol engine, period, a way of upbringing in fishing villages and old wives tales, but this has been in me since a child and will never change.

Petrol for shore, diesel for waves.

This doesn't mean you use a petrol engine in your yacht/boat when you come to tie up or moore as you still have a petrol time-bomb at sea compared to diesel.

I was amazed when I started out that in the states they were fitting petrol engines to loads of yachts which has seriously restricted my looking at a lot of yachts.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:29 AM   #76
Rear Admiral

Quote:

Just read your post after I posted my last comment and before reading about your boat.

Food for thought, definately, and it seems to be fine for you.

I will never go to sea in a petrol engine, period, a way of upbringing in fishing villages and old wives tales, but this has been in me since a child and will never change.

This doesn't mean you use a petrol engine in your yacht/boat when you come to tie up or moore as you still have a petrol time-bomb at sea compared to diesel.

I was amazed when I started out that in the states they were fitting petrol engines to loads of yachts which has seriously restricted my looking at a lot of yachts.
G'day bloke. You - 'stelth' - have sure allowed us all to get into the 'vast' learning curve that you're on. Thanks. I've expanded the 'search' to Greece for my own purposes. There are some great buys to be had there, some with 'VAT' paid some without. My personal search is different to yours, of course, as I perfer multihulls though probably can't afford one anywhere in the world, however there are many yachts at very competitive prices in Greese & the Med in general. You might care to look into that as it would possibly have many dollars & time to be saved. Cheaper air-fairs, less cost to sail to where you want the yacht but then why not keep it in the Med?, plus it's in the ECU countries & may not attract the same penalties as one from the USA. Not my field though I'm sure you could find out with ease. My price bracket is a bit higher than yours & I was able to find 6 to 8 & more that were very competitivly priced. More than enough for me to fly from 'down-under' to purchase one, sail the Med for a few years & then sail back to SE Asia - & I'd still have money left over - campared to buying one here in 'OZ'. Sir Richard mentioned a 'Cole 33' as having more room than most 40's & he was totally correct. As an added bonus, they sail very well. I'd don't ever recall Peter Cole designing a yacht that didn't sail swiftly & with an easy sea motion. I sailed with & against Peter for over 20 years. However Sir Richard didn't mention that they are still bringing high 70's to mid 80's in $ AUD (which is mid to high 50K Euro). For that kind of money I can buy a 45' fast racer/cruiser with everything - all the buttons, whistles, 43 hp diesel, 9 sails (to play with), all the safety gear incl 10 man - in current survey liferaft (to international standards), several anchors - chain & rope, etc, etc. in Greece. For me that's a WOW & some big saving to seriously into.

You would learn a whole lot by looking into in depth - all that Uwe has written along with Sir Richard's comments & questions. Many 1000's of dollars of knowledge to be learnt ther for free. I thank them both.

'spike_dawg' said a 'gem' in that - the more yachts you look into in depth the more you'll learn & the better refined will be your wiser chosen end choice. Tnx 'spike' - the name of our property is 'Pililani' & that's way down under in Queensland, Australia.

'stelth', I'm wishing you much good fortune in your search to get the 'one' right yacht as your chosen starting point & not spend a furtune. Ciao, from down-under, james
Old 06-10-2011, 07:53 AM   #77
Rear Admiral

Home Port: Hamburg
Vessel Name: Aquaria

Quote:

You are perfectly right!!! And it is good that boats and yachts today are equipped with DIESEL engines. But I remember the times when even in Europe (smaller, but sea going) yachts were equipped with petrol engines. I had the chance to sail on a small sailing yacht on the Columbia River in the mit 70ies that was equipped with a petrol engine: Opening the hatch and smelling petrol. Â*Starting the engine, or not... Â* Well, the owner did after he decided that Â*a little petrol smell is normal .... as I preferred to stay on the pontoon little ways away.Â*Â*Â*

So, the message is clear: Â*No petrol engine inside a boat, no internal petrol tanks. Â*spark free blowers to ventilate the engine room before hand are a rotton compromizes (as big motor boats of that time had).

But there is a compromize all of us live with: The outboard engine for the dinghi and the external petrol tank stowed away Â*in some locker and since I had to read Â* Â*thisÂ* , I am not even sure, if the jerry can in the locker is okay.

Back to the el motor: If the decision is made for a hybrid arrangement, only Â*diesel generators are used in the systems. Â*In my case: the petrol generator sitting in the engine compartment is a compromizeÂ*Â*Â*, but the half gallon internal tank is empty most of the time and I keep my jerry can in the well ventilated stowage in the stern that is fully seperated from the rest of the inside.

Uwe

SY Aquaria

More on my Centurion 32:
https://www.cabinetdeparodontologie.n...ria/index.html
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Germany, Background, Cruising/Sailing the German Bight
Old 06-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #78
Lieutenant

I've taken the plunge again

34' C&C C&C 34
  • Year: 1980
  • Current Price: US$ 22,000
  • Located In Brunswick, ME
I offered silly money again and got a bite.

I was told that one other offer is on the table and they will get back to me later today. I'm a few hours ahead on time so will know this evening if i'll be jumping on a plane.

And on the right side of the coast for me
Old 06-10-2011, 12:53 PM   #79
Rear Admiral

Quote:

I've taken the plunge again

34' C&C C&C 34
  • Year: 1980
  • Current Price: US$ 22,000
  • Located In Brunswick, ME
I offered silly money again and got a bite.

I was told that one other offer is on the table and they will get back to me later today. I'm a few hours ahead on time so will know this evening if i'll be jumping on a plane.

And on the right side of the coast for me
G'day 'stelth'. You be careful fella. There's a few of them for sale on the East Coast for about 22K, 27K & 29K in USD, so I hope your first offer wont be more than 16K. They were designed to suit the IOR racing rules & as such have very fine ends (not much room) both fore & aft. They fall into the IOR 3/4 ton rating rule, sail reasonably, can get a good sail to windward performance & are fairly close winded. All in all a 6 or 7 out of 10 but with little room inside & are very easily overloaded with cruising gear. Do tread softly & don't go in to high - price wise. Be ready to walk away if it's not what you want. Good luck but remember to have deep pockets, as in it's hard to find your money way down at the bottom of those pockets. Again - careful shopping mate. Ciao james. I did type into 'google' C & C 34' yacht & came up with several - on the east coast of America.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:32 PM   #80
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Raven View Post

G'day 'stelth'. You be careful fella. There's a few of them for sale on the East Coast for about 22K, 27K & 29K in USD, so I hope your first offer wont be more than 16K. They were designed to suit the IOR racing rules & as such have very fine ends (not much room) both fore & aft. They fall into the IOR 3/4 ton rating rule, sail reasonably, can get a good sail to windward performance & are fairly close winded. All in all a 6 or 7 out of 10 but with little room inside & are very easily overloaded with cruising gear. Do tread softly & don't go in to high - price wise. Be ready to walk away if it's not what you want. Good luck but remember to have deep pockets, as in it's hard to find your money way down at the bottom of those pockets. Again - careful shopping mate. Ciao james. I did type into 'google' C & C 34' yacht & came up with several - on the east coast of America.
Thanks for the thoughts there, I went in very, very low, her name is DUNDEE and she is in green and white, only people reading this post will now know the very one i'm looking at and thinking about.

I also found a few on the same coast and out of the ones I saw this was the only one I liked on first impressions of what she had to offer and rough condition, the others in the same price bracket were tatty and scruffy and need money spent before I even got them on the water.

http://www.yachtcouncil.com/boats-fo.../country/city/

I've had an email back and the owner is NOT PREPARED to accept my offer and has left instructions on the min he now wants, which is down from his original asking price but still way too high for me to even think about moving yet.