Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Fetias,Santa Luzia
Default Looking for Atlantic crossing advice

Good day
I am looking for advice on sailing a 40' er from Venezuela to The Azores and then back through the Panama Canal up to Cali. I am looking at leaving Venezuela at the end of march and am trying to plan the best routes for the season. From What I have seen I will be getting close to hurricane season But i am hopeing I can head out To The Dominican republic head north twords Burmuda and about half way to Burmuda and then heading North/East to the Azores. I am hopeing to spend around one month there then head to Madera then to Cape Verde then south of Cape Verde head west back towards Venezuela then fallow the tides to Panama I can adjust my Timelines and stay in stops along the way if need be due to weather but I would like to get to Cali by November. Any thoughts on this from the more experienced. would appreciate all advise and any links to resources that you guys may be aware of I have looked all over and found many resources on passages from east to west across the Atlantic but havent had much luck finding anything going the other direction .

Old 04-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
Rear Admiral

Home Port: Hamburg
Vessel Name: Aquaria

Welcome to the Cruiser Log!
The end of march has passed by, you are already under way?
The route looks okay, first going north heading towards the the Bermudas to leave the trade wind belt and then turn east. But keep in mind that already there you can meet the west-east going frontal systems, bringing more southerly winds and the further north you decide to cross the Atlantic, you get a more westerly component with it. A good time to head east across the Atlantic starts at the end of April.

Then later heading town to Madeira and further on to the Canary Islands and to Cape Verde should not be a problem at all as it is summer, but your plans to start heading back west towards Panama and California to be there in NOVEMBER sonds VERY ambitious!

Due to the hurricane season in the Caribbean a general time of crossing the Atlantic from the Canary Islands (or Cape Verde) is advisable not before November.

Uwe
Sy Aquaria

More on my Centurion 32:
https://www.cabinetdeparodontologie.n...ria/index.html
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Germany, Background, Cruising/Sailing the German Bight
Aquaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: Fetias,Santa Luzia

Thanks Aquiria no didnt get to leave yet looks like its getting pushed out to end of this month.

Tags
atlantic, atlantic crossing, crossing