Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-24-2007, 03:28 AM   #1
Ensign

what tipe of boat shoud I buy???this will be my first sailboat, I have plans to live in it ,and sail to south pasific after I gets same practice. I have seem same 38' and 42' endeavour also bruce roberts 44 steel hull and other BR 45 to be finished.@??? I'm portugess ,mechanic engenierand this will be my new world. so give some ideas...thanks..Morvan

Old 09-24-2007, 05:46 AM   #2
Admiral

[QUOTE=name='Mor33' date='Sep 24 2007, 10:28 AM' post='13516']

what type of boat should I buy???this will be my first sailboat, I have plans to live in it ,and sail to south pacific

Morvan

You are in Florida, probably plenty of boats in your range,

Suggest go to the nearest big Marina where you can walk the pontoons - talk to people - get ideas - take pictures - see brokers (be careful) The Portuguese have a great sailing tradition.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:21 PM   #3
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

G'day Morvan,

Welcome to the forum. As you spend time looking for the right boat for your needs, you will fall in love with many different boats I am sure. Most yacht owners are very proud of their craft and are happy to show them to genuine people who have a true interest.

Say hello to as many owners as you can at your local marinas and ask questions. We are largely a friendly bunch who will happily indulge you as we talk boats. As Richard says, see as many as you can. Buying a boat is always a compromise...just like meeting your partner for life...not everything will always be perfect but if you cover the main points and feel comfortable, then you have found the right boat....even if it is a bit wide around the bilges

Best of luck.

David.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:21 PM   #4
Ensign

hey , David thanks for repply, yea I've start walking around and like you said I ready love the Endeavour ,the Island packet and the Bruce Roberts , but I realy don't know each one what is the best ,I don't maind for interior I'm Portugess carpinter ,mechanic and electric technician I can remodelin all inside if need , what I'm looking for is same well knoing strong and safet hull blue water boat , and I'm thinking in 38' to 42' ..what you have to say about those boat ?
Old 09-24-2007, 04:38 PM   #5
Rear Admiral

Morvan,

Welcome aboard!

With your carpentry, mechanical & electrical skills... I believe you are the kind of person who may be able to save a pile of money by shopping the backwaters & boatyards around Florida for the boat of your dreams.

There you may find the boats you mention above which have fallen into dis-repair due to neglect by their lazy American owners - who will often let them go for a fraction of their market value, simply because they can no longer be bothered or motivated to maintain them.

From my experience - a boat with a seized engine will be depreciated far more than the cost of a new engine.

I feel sure there are "diamonds in the rough" languishing in every boatyard and lagoon in Florida (if not the world) just waiting for a keen new buyer to come along with the skills needed to bring them back to glory, at a fraction of the cost of her seaworthy sister berthed at the yachtclub.

Speak with yacht brokers and boat owners to get an idea of what type boat best suits your passion... and then go speak with some boatyard managers who may know of some great deals on the same sort of boats which are in need of a passionate, new owner... such as yourself. You may be surprised at what deals you may find on fine yachts that just need a little TLC and attention to mechanical, electrical or cabinetry problems.

Just don't buy a boat which is beyond your skills or financial means.

For a good source of reference, visit www.yachtworld.com - a brokerage website which enables a buyer to get an idea of the market value of the boat he (or she) is considering and gives you chance to compare other boats of the same design.

Have you bought a new pair of deckshoes yet?

Happy Hunting,

Kirk
Old 09-24-2007, 09:24 PM   #6
Ensign

Send a message via AIM to karenmmc

Here is an interesting site :Offshore boats
Old 09-24-2007, 09:42 PM   #7
Ensign

hi 'karenmmc'

thanks for the site is very interest , but the only one I did not find there was the //Endeavour//.

do you know any think about this boat ??
Old 09-25-2007, 01:09 AM   #8
Lieutenant

Hi Morvan,

All the designs you mentioned can be made into solid blue water boats as long as you don’t load them up with too many “conveniences”

If I may offer a little bit of advice, start off by sailing on a variety of sailboats to get a feel for what you like. Better still, try and trade some of your skills for berths on offshore yacht deliveries of that type, so that you can get a real feel for what you are getting into and what are your priorities.

Many people can give you their honest opinion, but there is no substitute for actual experience before making those key decisions.

Take your time and enjoy!
Old 09-25-2007, 03:48 AM   #9
Ensign

hi cap.Kirk

thanks for the coments

, for sure a have broth my par of deckshoes sinse year ago .

but the think is , I found a 35' Island Packet 1990 this boat has bem sunk for a week, the owner make complete dry , he change all electric cables ,he install new engine ,new out side paint, new mast and boom ...and lost interest in finish it up he ask me $30.000USD .to finish this boat I need redown inside all wood work ,batteries oven, fridge, sails etc my estimate will be around $13.000USD in material ,plus labor$0 but I'll do by myself.....what do you think $45.000USD for this sise of boat????
Old 09-25-2007, 04:19 AM   #10
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mor33 View Post
I found a 35' Island Packet 1990 this boat has bem sunk for a week, the owner make complete dry , he change all electric cables ,he install new engine ,new out side paint, new mast and boom ...and lost interest in finish it up he ask me $30.000USD .
Get a survey done - offer him $15,000 - make up your own mind on the owner's response to your offer.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:29 PM   #11
Rear Admiral

Hi Morvan,

Island Packet has a fine reputation and provide good customer support. I've seen them all over the world.

www.yachtworld.com is listing 21 Island Packet 35s for sale right now with prices ranging from $98,000 to $189,000 USD in "sail away" condition.

If you believe you can purchase and bring the one in which you're linterested to sail away condition for $45,000, you will have made a good investment... provided you have the free time to do the work yourself.

Go for it! You'll be glad you did.

To Life!

Kirk
Old 09-25-2007, 02:23 PM   #12
Ensign

thanks fouks , I'lldrive to see this boat is about 450 miles from my house but I think will worth , I let you know when I cam back

good wind

see ya

Morvan,
Old 10-05-2007, 06:20 PM   #13
Rear Admiral

Ahoy Morvan,

Looks like you dove in and bought that Island Packet?

CONGRATULATIONS!

Good luck and keep us posted - you now have both a big job and a big reward in front of you.

To Life!
Old 10-05-2007, 07:12 PM   #14
Rear Admiral

I would love to follow the progress of your work if you have bought the boat. If you have bought it then congradulations! Start with pics as soon as you can.......................
Old 11-06-2007, 06:20 PM   #15
Lieutenant

This topic suits my question more than most i.e. "Lost and Confused" tho not regarding the topic of someone setting out to refit a *U-Boat* (good luck btw on your project mor33.

HOWEVER, my question is this...is it just ME? or does anyone else see a nubile female bottom when looking at Imagine2frolic's avatar photo? rflmao

Maybe I've been alone too long LOL

seer
Old 11-06-2007, 08:01 PM   #16
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Sort of like the 3D photos you mean?

Mate. I think you need to get to shore, find a pub and chat to some ladies.....

Though, come to think of it.........!

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:26 PM   #17
Rear Admiral

Seeratlas.....HUMMMMMMM? I only see my Imagine in a sunset. Are you on CLUB COBRA too?
Old 11-06-2007, 11:51 PM   #18
Lieutenant

I'm not kidding imagine, picture the sun as a reflection off of her left cheek, the mast the 'line of division' hehehehe, you'll see it LOL.

seer
Old 11-11-2007, 11:13 AM   #19
Ensign

Yes,

I too see the female touche in that avatar - but in defense of the poster, I have been on this fricken sandbar about 6 weeks now without femle company, and even the seagulls are starting to look sexy!

I am glad it is not only me that sees that image that way!

Cheers
Old 11-12-2007, 12:54 PM   #20
Rear Admiral

Gentlemen,

I am looking hard, and I don't see it. I do graciously appreciate the fine compliment though. It is always a compliment when others appreciate your mistress.....LOLOLOLOLOLOL