Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-10-2008, 01:36 AM   #1
Ensign

I am a 61 year old retired disabled veteran with not enough sense to quit. (I've never grown up) My desire has long been sailing. I am ASA basic keel boat certified which means I know what a sheet is but not much more. I am a pretty good cook, make good coffee, and consider myself a good sport always willing to give 100% effort or more. Very easy to get along with. Currently I live in Phoenix Arizona but I am from Northern Aroostook County originally. I have relatives still "in the county" and my daughter and grand children live in Kennebunk. As there is a shortage of "blue water" sailors in Phoenix I would like to meet and chat with sailors from Maine, as I go there, and / or friendly sailors from anywhere.

I have a zillion questions I need help with starting from -- how do I get a boat on a very limited budget, and what kind, what size, what is too small, what is too big etc. All of my life I have worked like an animal to raise a family. No time for anything but work. This is not news to many of you readers. I years past I have approached sailors on boats to make conversation and learn and, perhaps, sail. No luck. the people I've approached have not been receptive. This always surprised me as I was a helicopter pilot in army and I am familiar with how open and friendly the aviation community was with each other as well as non-pilots. I am sure there are other vets in the same position as I am, want to sail and can't. Therefore I want a sailboat I can take others on with me for short or long sails. One that I can single hand. I am thinking a 37 to 45 center cockpit boat. It would have to be an older boat and/or a donated boat as I am on a very limited budget as I said. However I am very talented at repairing almost anything so as long as the boat is not in too bad a shape I could work with it.

Anyone with suggestions or comments or willing to make recommendations or offer other guidence of anykind or just chat, please e-mail me at: avoisine@cox.net Thank you all for your time in reading this long winded narative.