Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-18-2009, 12:37 PM   #1
Commander

Home Port: Stockton, MO
Vessel Name: Ceilidh

Every boat that I have ever sailed has allowed me to reach the mainsheet without leaving the helm. Our newest boat does not and it makes me feel uncomfortable. One of my many mentors ask me to walk the docks at our marina yesterday and look at the newer boats mainsheet rigging. I will admit that most of them had the mainsheet run back through a rope clutch on the coachroof, but you would still have to leave the helm to release it, and under the conditions where I would feel the need to release the main in a hurry I don't won't to be trying to move around the cockpit! Am I being silly? What are your thoughts?

Yes, I know that nearly all of the "new" boats do it that way... But that doesn't mean it is the right way. Someone please enlighten me!

Thanks,

David

Old 02-18-2009, 03:18 PM   #2
Rear Admiral

Home Port: Hamburg
Vessel Name: Aquaria

Good point!!!

As long as the weather is nice, masses of crew members can help to adjust the sails. Once, they are below (or not on board at all, because it is no fun sailing today), there is noone to do the sheets. How can modern sailors on modern boats with big modern wheels you have to climb over) cope with that?? Well they do not know it differently. They do not know the big advantage of the mainsheet close to the helm - the same applies to the genoa winshes. Maybe it is a changing role of the modern captain: standing at the helm, away from the hard work, giving out commands? Or maybe they never want to be in the situation to be able to alter course or even to tack, when everybody else on board is not available at the moment.

We love our tiller steering, the main sheet traveller with adjusting lines and all just in reach and as you stand in the cockpit, steering with the knees, we even can tack and adjust all sails to the new course! Alone.

Uwe

SY Aquaria

More on my Centurion 32:
https://www.cabinetdeparodontologie.n...ria/index.html
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Germany, Background, Cruising/Sailing the German Bight
Aquaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:52 PM   #3
Commander

Home Port: Stockton, MO
Vessel Name: Ceilidh

Thanks Uwe,

We still own our Tillered boat with all controls within reach, and she is being prepared as the boat we are planning to cruise with... The boat I am trying to figure out how to rig for my own piece of mind is our inland boat and she has been raced a bit, but that doesn't mean common sense should be thrown out the window! Luckily the genoa winches can be reached (I'll just use larger sheets and use my aft winches if neccesary). My current mission is to find a way to run the mainsheet to where I can control it. Many at my marina think that I am being petty, but I am usually the one out in poor weather and still enjoying myself when they head for their slip. If anyone else has any input please let me hear it, though I think being uncomfortable with the current set-up is all that is required to mandate a change.

Thanks,

David
Old 02-18-2009, 06:14 PM   #4

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

On our Rawson mainsheet and headsail were within reach of the helm--as it should be! I must say our mainsheet traveler had the goal of taking your head off with the sheet if you didn't pay attention!

On our schooner, the mainsheet and headsail are designed to be within reach of the helm but we've got to re-work the lines to get the foresail sheet within reach, too.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:03 AM   #5
Rear Admiral

Hi,

I would not panic about the set up but obviously if you can change the lead so as to get the maisheet close to hand when sailing solo - it would be best.

Personally, I like both mainsheet AND boom vang close enough to let off quickly, but neither would stop me sailing a boat where there was a safe autopilot so you could simply engage that and go sort the sheets.

As I'm sure you realise, some yachts were set up for the efficient use by a race crew - and to change that layout will invariably cost money.

Enjoy

JOHN
Old 03-06-2009, 04:05 PM   #6

I often wonder how folks manage the mainsheet on these boats that have the traveler on top the cabin. Seems a little stressful to have go go lunging for it in a pinch!

Old 03-11-2009, 12:22 PM   #7
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
I often wonder how folks manage the mainsheet on these boats that have the traveler on top the cabin. Seems a little stressful to have go go lunging for it in a pinch!
Why don't you just sit in front of the wheel instead of behind it? That puts the main and genoa sheet within reach on my boat...
Old 03-11-2009, 04:04 PM   #8
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagman View Post
... but neither would stop me sailing a boat where there was a safe autopilot so you could simply engage that and go sort the sheets....
The key word being "safe"... I've been on more than one boat that if you were hit by a squal and needed to dump sail the autohelm would disengage because it didn't know how to deal with the sudden balance change... luckily I was able to lunge back to the wheel and prevent a jibe but to my mind this was the ultimate arguement for a good windvane.

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by atavist View Post
luckily I was able to lunge back to the wheel and prevent a jibe but to my mind this was the ultimate arguement for a good windvane.
ahhem...or a better autopilot!

Old 03-11-2009, 05:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafarer View Post
Why don't you just sit in front of the wheel instead of behind it? That puts the main and genoa sheet within reach on my boat...
Depends on the size of the boat and size of the cockpit.

On our Rawson 30, a small boat, the cockpit was very large and there's no way to really use the wheel while at the same time dealing with anything on top the cabin. In that boat, the jib halyard and the main halyard run to rope clutches on the aft end of the cabin top so you could literally drop all sail from within the cockpit. However, you couldn't reach it all at once.

Our current boat has a huge cockpit with about 7 feet from the FRONT of the wheel to the top of the cabin.

Luckily on both boats the main sheet travels behind the cockpit. Also--I'm such a klutz that when things are rough, I HAVE to be able to brace off the seat, steering gear housing, or something--and in both boats standing in front of the wheel rather than being beside or behind it during rough weather is a sure recipe for injury or worse for me.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:14 PM   #11
Admiral

Quote:
ahhem...or a better autopilot!
Yeah, i thought of that too... but that's a much less controversial statement

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
Old 03-12-2009, 02:55 PM   #12
Commander

Check out this video: Seaward Eagle Deck Layout

The relevant part to this discussion is at 4:40.

I can't see how to uncleat the main with the sheet running under the dodger (or even around it), unless the cam-cleat was removed and an Oxen Block installed. I might just have to play around with something like this for my boat....
Old 03-12-2009, 05:26 PM   #13
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafarer View Post
Check out this video: Seaward Eagle Deck Layout

The relevant part to this discussion is at 4:40.

I can't see how to uncleat the main with the sheet running under the dodger (or even around it), unless the cam-cleat was removed and an Oxen Block installed. I might just have to play around with something like this for my boat....
hmm. yeah... that seems like a pretty pointless system.... I don't see the point in the "double ended" sheet... why not just run the normal sheet line where you want it in the first place

Old 03-13-2009, 12:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by atavist View Post
hmm. yeah... that seems like a pretty pointless system.... I don't see the point in the "double ended" sheet... why not just run the normal sheet line where you want it in the first place
Hi, I didn't run the video as I'm on a low bandwidth access right now--but...I always though the double ended sheet was useful in that you can use the windward sheet to set the sail position and the leeward one to pull downward on the boom--essentially as a vang.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:56 AM   #15
Admiral

Quote:
Hi, I didn't run the video as I'm on a low bandwidth access right now--but...I always though the double ended sheet was useful in that you can use the windward sheet to set the sail position and the leeward one to pull downward on the boom--essentially as a vang.
ah, see now that would make sense.. the way they had it set up it was just another normal sheet for the main... which in theory could be run where ever you want it while the other sits idle in the jammer on your coach house... ... seems pretty pointless to me.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:40 PM   #16
Ensign

Home Port: Gibraltar
Vessel Name: S/Y Spirit
Hi. Following this thread has been a good read. Here are my 2 cents worth.

In reply to the initial question, yes, I can easily reach the mainsheet from the helm. The helmsman also has direct access to the traveler, which is located directly behind where he sits. The Genoa winches are also within close reach. Hence, the helmsman can adjust all the sails and even tack by himself without leaving the wheel. This is one of the great advantages of a center cockpit vessel.

I've uploaded an image of the layout:

Link: http://greyraven.typepad.com/photos/variou...-traveller.html

The entire arrangement is designed for solo-sailing without stress and with a high degree of safety in mind.

It works really well.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingSpirit View Post
This is one of the great advantages of a center cockpit vessel.
Actually, having everything in reach of the helmsman is not limited to center cockpit vessels. Many older aft-cockpit vessels have (lower aspect) rigs which happen to include a boom that extends over the cockpit and allows the same traveler arrangement behind the helmsman. I must admit when I look at the new boats with short booms I kinda wonder a bit about the ease of using such a rig--also about the typically high aspect nature of such rigs.

The head sail winches of course can be set up where ever one wishes. Of course, frequently, people set up their boats for racing rather than short handed cruising and thus the winches are entirely in the wrong places...

I'm glad your boat is set up in a way that suits your cruising style and hope you enjoy your travels!

Old 03-18-2009, 11:48 PM   #18
Ensign

Home Port: Gibraltar
Vessel Name: S/Y Spirit

Quote:
I'm glad your boat is set up in a way that suits your cruising style and hope you enjoy your travels!
I must admit that I’m as pleased as punch as to how beautifully Spirit sails and how easy she is to manage, even when I’m sailing her alone. When I started looking for my “ideal” boat many years ago, I knew that I wanted to be able to sail her solo if I wanted to. When sailing a 50 ft. boat with an aft cockpit and a crew of eight, there is no question that enough hands are there to help handle the ship in almost any situation. When sailing a 46 ft. boat and you’re sailing alone, that’s a different matter entirely.

What I’ve learned from sailing Spirit is the following: as a center cockpit vessel and with everything pretty much within reach, there is absolutely nothing behind me or the traveler, which is of any interest. There are no “user serviceable parts” back there, especially at night, which effectively reduces the size of my boat by 7 or 8 feet. So, from where I’m standing at the helm, all I have are about 38 feet of boat in front of me.

The distance to the mast is also quite reduced, making working on deck in foul weather at least somewhat safer. Again, I am viewing this from the perspective of having to reef-in the mainsail alone (possibly at night) and having her on autopilot while I’m doing so. Thus, about the only concession I have to make is being quite sure to in reef the mainsail early and in due time, whatever the circumstances. I would agree with other posters here that when sailing at night, the mainsail should have one or (even better) two reefs tied in, especially when underway solo.

While sailing to Langkawi, I used the night watches to try out how it all worked on Spirit. I was pleased to determine that I had no trouble handling her alone, at least in light to moderate winds. Everything remained in the green. Yet, again, that mainsail must go down at the right time because there are over 115 square meters of sail on her, all told, and that is a lot of sail to try and handle alone at 5-6 Bft.

Although I don’t really plan to sail Spirit solo in the near future (unless the economic crisis forces my hand and I have to sail her back to Europe for some reason) I know that in a pinch, I could do so. All the other aspects which come into that picture have to be looked at from another - very critical - perspective.

I hope my first posting above didn’t sound smug or anything. I’m simply pleased to know that I can easily sail and handle my boat alone if I have to. That’s already something to be grateful for, especially if you’ve already bought the boat.

May you always have a hand’s width of water beneath you keel.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:27 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingSpirit View Post
I hope my first posting above didn’t sound smug or anything. I’m simply pleased to know that I can easily sail and handle my boat alone if I have to. That’s already something to be grateful for, especially if you’ve already bought the boat.
Oh, those of us who love our boats are truly "pleased as punch" and that is very close to smug . But, no, never smug

I really am glad that you can visualize how you'll use your boat solo and you're able to do so on this particular boat. So many people try very hard to "get it right" and somehow it doesn't work out for them. I know another fellow who has an absolutely lovely center cockpit boat (oh, I must tell you that I thought we'd end up with a center cockpit boat because they have so many good features....but we did end up aft cockpit after all...) ...back to my story...this guy has a wonderful boat but somehow can't get it all together to solo sail and its just driving him to distraction. So, these things are very, very important.

Our boat, aft cockpit, was originally set up for solo/shorthanded sailing but then some nut (owner before last) put that aside and made it a "racing" boat with winches midships and the only thing one could do from the cockpit is manage the main sail and the running backstays--but not the foresail or headsails on this, a 54' schooner! That nutty fellow actually solo sailed the boat back from HI after a Transpac (dunno how!) and often the owner before us solo sailed the boat. They both must have been very quick on their feet to run all around and manage everything.

Well, lucky us, we've got the drawings showing the sail plan, winches, and lines as they were before the nut came along So, we can put it all back to the solo sail/short handed way it really should be.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:19 AM   #20
Admiral

Hello Spirit,

Good to read of your setup and techniques. Your input much appreciated.

I believe I have spoken to you on HF radio a number of times - last year? There are not many boats with the name "Spirit".

Regards

Richard