Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Bergen
Exclamation Missing yacht in Nikolaev, Ukraine

Last year, a ten year old dream came true for me and my familiy as we aquired the beautiful 40 foot sailing yacht named "Galaxy V" in Greece. We sailed the yacht during the Easter hollidays 2011 in the Mediterranean and had a wonderful time! The yacht was a dream to sail!

Later that summer, the boat was stolen by a man who was hired to sail the yacht to Norway. It was later discovered in the river city Nikolaev in Ukraine. It seems that there was no end of bad luck for this yacht, as it disappeared in March 2012 when we were planning to sail it back to Norway . Please see this link for more information: missingyacht.wordpress.com

If you have any information about this yacht (which probably still is near Nikolaev), please contact me - contact information is in the link above. I would be the happiest man alive if the boat was found and I can start my "second life" as a full time sailer.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:39 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

I have some contacts in the Ukraine, I'll pass it along. It might pay to get a Ukrainian translation of the web page done, and since in that (south/west) area of the Ukraine, Russian is the majority language, a Russian translation would help too. The only people I know in the country speak Russian and not Ukrainian.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: Portsmouth
Vessel Name: S/Y "Surabaya Girl" - 2DTW3
Send a message via ICQ to lenseman Send a message via MSN to lenseman Send a message via Yahoo to lenseman Send a message via Skype™ to lenseman

Your yacht noes not ever seem to have been registered on the ITU database?

Particulars of Ship stations

It would legally require registration on this database if it had any form of wireless transmitter installed?

From this, it would be easier to trace stolen yachts.

Does it have an AIS transmitter or any other form of tracking device (SPOT Messenger, YellowBrick)
Old 11-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
Ensign

No, unfortunately it seems that yacht is not registered in the ITU database. From my understanding, the thief that sailed the yacht to Ukraine replaced both the radio and the EPIRB
And it doesn't have any form of tracking device or AIS transmitter either
I wish deeply that I could go back in time and have it installed first thing after I took ownership of the yacht last year. The yacht is registered in the Norwegian International Shipping register, assuming it may make it difficult for criminals to sell on international markets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenseman View Post
Your yacht noes not ever seem to have been registered on the ITU database?

Particulars of Ship stations

It would legally require registration on this database if it had any form of wireless transmitter installed?

From this, it would be easier to trace stolen yachts.

Does it have an AIS transmitter or any other form of tracking device (SPOT Messenger, YellowBrick)
Old 11-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
Ensign

Default Thank you!!

Thank you so much for spreading the word about this to your contacts! You are right about the translation - not many people in Ukraine speak English. I will try to get the web site translated to Russian in short time.

Thank you again! I have hopes that all good forces may finally result in the lucky return of the yacht to it's owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delatbabel View Post
I have some contacts in the Ukraine, I'll pass it along. It might pay to get a Ukrainian translation of the web page done, and since in that (south/west) area of the Ukraine, Russian is the majority language, a Russian translation would help too. The only people I know in the country speak Russian and not Ukrainian.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
Ensign

A Russian translation of the web page is now available here:
Link to site!

I deeply appreciate spreading the word and link to people in Ukraine!
Old 11-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

I have passed this to my partner in Interfax in Moscow.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nikolaev, stolen, ukraine