Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-11-2007, 05:04 PM   #1
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

Talking to the Straits Sailing, where I am tentatively planning on doing a Fastrack course early next year I was informed that I need to get an ML5 or ENG1 medical certification prior to the course... ML5 has to be done by a UK certified doctor. I'm in the US. There are a couple of doctors recognized by MCA to do ENG1 exams here in the US. A couple literally... one in Rhode Island, one in Florida... I hate to have to pay to travel for a medical exam... does anyone know of a way around this... it seems a bit rediulous to me... a doctor is a doctor.

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:27 PM   #2
Rear Admiral

Wow! That puts you in a pickle.

I am guessing the physical is for liability reasons.

Would they accept a US DOT (Truck Driver) or FAA (Pilot) physical, something of equal or higher standards?

Harbor_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:19 PM   #3
Admiral

Good thought Harbor Pilot... unfortunately however after talking to MCA they do not... they do accept the UK transportation certificate but not the US... rediculous... since there are two MCA certified doctors in the US they have the monopoly... I guess there just aren't that many people in the US seeking RYA/MCA certificates... which seems strange to me since that is what all the maritime job postings I have seen want, with rare exception...

wait... what's that sound.... ... oh nevermind... it's just the pitter patter of the little lemming feet of americans throwing themselves off the cliff of social and technological dependance...

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
Old 07-12-2007, 04:44 PM   #4
Rear Admiral

I know absolutely nothing about ML5 or ENG1 medical certification; never heard of it before this post. It seems it you want to participate in the Fast Track; you must meet their rules and policies, and have exhausted alternatives to the medical certification requirement. (I am reading there are no alternatives).

I have a thought. Instead of traveling to RI or FL, depart for the Straits Sailing early, allowing adequate time to obtain the medical certification in the UK, saving the expense of an extra plane ticket. The risk is not being able to meet the medical standards, or delays in receiving the certification document(s), prior to the beginning of the course.

In any case, best wishes with your plans. When and if you complete the course, it would be nice to read of your experiences with it.

Good Luck,

Jeff

Old 07-12-2007, 06:20 PM   #5
Admiral

Yeah i thought of that too but figure I would rather loose the $500 it will cost me to fly down to get teh physical than the nearly 20K I would loose if for some reason I couldn't pass the physical, which I do not anticipate happening, but still.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:21 PM   #6
Rear Admiral

That does seem risky. $20,000 verses $500 or 40:1 risk / odds

What to do, what to do....

I think I would spend the $500, and go with certainty; with a comfort level, prepared.

I understand your frustration in the matter.

Great Compliments to you, in wanting to make such an investment in yourself, in you sailing education and experiance.

Jeff