Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 10:11 AM   #21
Ensign

Aqua Man,

I wasn't speaking for the world in general as I do believe that it will remain screwed up long after I am gone, likely until it comes to an end. I was referring to cruisers being able to get along. We certainly should, we have much in common and there is much mutual benefit in being as friendly and cordial as possible. I'm a believer in Karma and what goes around, comes around. RT

Old 02-14-2007, 10:22 AM   #22
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Converted Post'
Originally posted by Auzzee

My beef is with the in-your-face, Rambo styled urban warrior types with attitude. These are the people with whom I do not want to share any patch of sea, air, land....or milk bar.

David
I agree wholeheartedly. An instructor of mine years ago once stated "There is always someone bigger, tougher, faster and meaner than you are. The more you run your mouth the faster you will find him. Respect, humility and kindness will get you farther" I have no wish to hang out with Rambo either. RT

Old 02-14-2007, 03:26 PM   #23
Commander

Send a message via MSN to dnelson

Quote:
Originally posted by Trim50

Do you think this would raise too many eyebrows with customs agents?

http://www.camo-store.com/auto_assau...at_shotgun.htm

Check Video
Ken, with that thing you wouldn't have to worry about customs agents, or even small armed invasion forces...
Old 02-14-2007, 06:04 PM   #24
Ensign

I hear a lot of talk about having a gun at the ready when approaching the red sea, A while ago talking to a old sea dog who said, "Always carry a flair pistol" , He went on to tell about paiates tring to board his a few years back and how when a flair is fired into there boat ,He was carfull not to say to much but I could predict the outcome.

Graham
Old 02-15-2007, 12:44 AM   #25
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

There is an old salt on our dock who has never lived on land (he claims) and has sailed around the world multiple times in his life. He too feels that the flare gun is the only weapon you'll ever need.

Considering that he has never been wrong with advice that he has given me while refitting my boat, I would tend to believe he is probably right about the flare gun as well.

No matter how much I would prefer to carry a substantial weapon (and hoist one of those new flags), I also do not want to deal with the hassle it would present at each port.

Rohn makes a very realistic looking flare gun that I'm most likely going to purchase.

http://www.signal-flares.com/images/Pics/RG-56.JPG
Old 02-15-2007, 11:11 AM   #26
Ensign

Bestlooking flair gun I have seen for a long time ,,The gent that told me the story regarding the flair showed me his ,looks like a mini shotgun he said he can drop a flair into a boat a 100 metres away but he told me that about 20 years ago he hit the side of a suspect boat with a magnesium flair and it splatered over the side of the suspect boat still burning he said they had one hell of a job puting it out before there boat caught fire he said they never worried hime after that, I wonder why!!
Old 02-15-2007, 12:13 PM   #27
Commander

Send a message via MSN to dnelson

Quote:
Originally posted by Swagman

Hey Ho - this subject seems to constantly reappear and invariably is raised afresh by those planning to go, rather than those who have gone.

Practically, 100% of the guys we've met who've travelled far and wide and that's including many US nationals, see the sense in both NOT carrying arms and equally avioding spots where arms might be needed.
Just a bit of speculation here (and I am probably stating the obvious) but perhaps the difference between those who have been cruising, and those that haven't is a change in mindset. There is something that happens to you when you have been cruising for a while - the stress, and tendency to confront, seems to disappear. You also gain deep a respect for the sea, the people on her, and the countries you visit. (It is after all their bit of water you are using.) You learn to "get along" rather than try and force your way through. It seems to be a kind of mental epiphany that happens - and suddenly - there is light... (did I go all transcendental there?)
Old 02-15-2007, 02:58 PM   #28
Ensign

Aquaman: "... a 40 something old man ..."??!?

Que paso? Mi amigo, tus palabras llevan mucho dolor y tristeza! Soy 48, y soy joven!!!
Old 02-15-2007, 10:04 PM   #29
Rear Admiral

Quote:
What's up? My friend, your words carry a lot of pain and sadness! I am 48, and I am youth!!!
Mi Amigo Ichyprints,

¡Hace 15 años desde que he estado en el español que habla las selvas de América Central! ¿Ahora usted probará mis habilidades del idioma?

La edad es un estado de ánimo y la salud. ¡Yo pronto seré 51 y yo se sienten como un joven cachorro!

Es a causa de mi amiga y nuestras metas mutuas, viajando especialmente el mundo yendo que yo me siento así.

Yo la mayoría del gozó esta conversación, esta prueba y su humor. ¿Cómo hice yo? ¿Pasé yo? [?]

¡Día bueno!

Hombre acuático

Old 02-15-2007, 10:33 PM   #30
Rear Admiral

OK, so everbody can play on an even field and partake in the fun, it says (or I was attempting to write in Spanish):

My Friend Ichyprints,

It has been 15 years since I have been in the Spanish speaking jungles of Central America! Now you are going to test my language skills?

Age is a state of mind and health. I will soon be 51 and I feel like a young pup!

It is because of my girlfriend and our mutual goals, especially traveling the world by cruising that I feel that way.

I most enjoyed this conversation, this test and your humor. How did I do? Did I pass? [?]

Good Day!

Aqua Man

Old 02-15-2007, 11:13 PM   #31
Rear Admiral

Here are the links to the "Salad Dressing (Attempted) Murder" case:

TV:

http://search.cbs4denver.com/?__LOGIC=911&...g=Jeffrey+Vogel

Neswpaper:

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_5201873

These stories say he and his girlfriend were 22. The evening I heard the TV broadcast, I thought they said that he was in his late 40's. The picture of him on TV appeared as if he was older than dirt! ....but than, don't they usually look like that?

Old 02-16-2007, 12:58 AM   #32
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

Aqua Man...you're killing my thread[B )] The weather in Denver must be really bad. I think you need a boat to work on or something.

Probably needed to be killed anyhow.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:01 AM   #33
imported_admin

DEAD!!

Thanks to all for the input on this thread.

Admin

Closed Thread