Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-22-2007, 10:47 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Mar 16 2005, 05:14 AM

I am 53. I cant sail yet but I am going to retire in 12 years to the carribean. I will know how by then starting now.

What are your favorite books on cruising ?

Any advice on schools?

Any advice on how to retire now ?

And whats the story on this hole in the water you pour money into . What should I expect to spend per year ??????

And how do you communicate by computer on a boat . Is there a good satalite system yet ?

And ...And.....And.....

From the Berkshires in Massachusetts , I remain

TOM

For New comers check out other advice under my Name " TOM FARLEY" That this FORUM has given us . THese people are GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!

Feb. 22 , 2007 6:30 Pm

Hi Folks, It's us again. Tom & Diana. Almost 2 years later and only 5 intense weeks of sailing behind us. We Celebrate the fact that we are in that rare etherworld of

" DON'T KNOW MUCH" But we are gaining by leaps and bounds. Plus I can spell Caribbean.

We just completed a 309 mile circumnavigation of Big And Little Abaco in the Bahamas.

Coldest week they have had there in a while which made the overnights with rain & Dodging the Disney Ship real exciting.

Which leads me to several questions ….Again

Can We mention Names of Schools and Brand Names ???

- Any advice on the best FOUL WEATHER GEAR - Brands ? And I add that the pants must have a FLY. Do they make with an old time trap door Bottom ??– Fortunately I have an extra 40 lbs of insulation , but Diana is Rail Thin. 60 degrees at night with rain and howling winds + seasickness = kinda uncomfortable

- I was surprised that it cost $300 to cruise the Bahamas. Not that its not worth it but it was an eye opener. Is there any place Except scouring the cruising guides that lists how much it cost to get into each leg of a trip from Florida to Florida around the Caribbean Circle. I am trying to put together a " Unexpected Expenses " list for people like us. As there seems to be a lot of them judging by this FORUM.

- I will leave it at that for now …..Time for Dinner …..Thanks for any help

We Remain

Tom And Diana in The BERKSHIRES

[EDIT by Admin] Attachment does not load.
Attached Files
File Type: htm Crew_And_Map_8.htm (3.2 KB, 94 views)

Old 02-23-2007, 09:00 AM   #2
Admiral

I probably won't mention brand names, but that's because I don't pay attention to them.

Our foul weather gear is not expensive stuff, because when we started out we (a) didn't expect to be out for 20 years, and ( we are both CHEAP! The first foul weather jackets and pants that we bought in 1985 are still going strong. They were bought in Boston, and are good for cold weather. Then Peter stopped into a Filene's Basement and found a ! ! ! BROOKS BROTHERS ! ! jacket at a VERY good price. I think because the button-down executive types who normally shopped in Brooks Brothers were not the market for a foul weather jacket . That, too, is still with us.

Finally, we needed something much lighter, and again found in Filene's Basement (or perhaps Sym's) two Gore-Tex jackets that have served us very well on both land and sea. I love the Gore-tex - it really does breathe, so you don't get all sweaty and clammy in it. You don't have to shop in a marine store for these things. The same needs apply to campers and hikers.

You want it to be roomy enough that you can wear layers of clothes underneath it. My favorite layers are a silk long-sleeve turtleneck (exceptionally light) underneath other shirts, topped off by a zipper front hooded sweatshirt.

I do encourage that you get something that is not a designer color, and that has reflective material on it. Bright yellow or pink are more appropriate colors for something you want to be seen in if you fall overboard. White is going to blend in with the whitecaps of rough seas. Blue and green, same problem.

I have lots of foul language for the cruise ships circling offshore all night long so that they can extract as much money as possible from the gambling tables.

The Bahamas is the most expensive place to cruise right now (though the Seychelles used to be the highway robbers of the cruising world). Most places in the Caribbean charge very little. The biggest problem is that no information you collect now is going to be very accurate even two or three years from now. I would suggest, though, that the further you are from easy accessibility by US cruising boats, the cheaper it will be. Americans are rich, you know, and so can afford to pay extortion.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:17 AM   #3
Lieutenant

There is so many different things that it is hard to say. A good working class of foul weather gear will work fine.

Get SSCA's gear review guide.

Destinations - well, it is up to you. you can cruise Fl or The Great American Loop or part of it. It is really had to say.

Suggest that you stay close for the first 6 - 12 months.

Schools, Schools are what you make it. It may be best just to hire an instructor on your boat. But take the classes first, you will meat some interesting people there.