Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-24-2006, 03:37 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Morgan Out Island

Does anyone have any opinions good or bad on the 33' Morgan Out Island?

I had heard in the past that Morgans may have been susceptible to hull blistering but could never get any other clarifications on the matter.

The Morgan Out Island seems to be the perfect shoal draft, full keel sloop with a huge beam. Very enticing for the keys and Bahamas but the structural integrity is so much more important to me.

I have read the following but would love for someone to validate this statement.

"The Morgan Out Island is a classic design from a builder with a tradition for building rugged, go anywhere sailboats with a large volume of living space."

Bajamas

Old 02-24-2006, 09:40 PM   #2
Admiral

It's an old boat, right? What blistering has it experienced so far? Has it been barrier coated? A survey will help you here. I don't get too excited about osmosis - in my opinion it's going to happen to every boat at some time or another, and it's more a matter of degree and repair measures. Considering how old some of those Morgans are, they're still out there! can't be too bad, eh? You're not going to endure significant stress or challenges in your chosen cruising grounds, so.... relax. (IMHO)

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 03:39 AM   #3
Lieutenant

JeanneP, I just pulled out of a contract to purchase a Pearson Vanguard due to core damage in the aft end and I am now looking for the next boat. We may have settled on the Bristol 32 but I had to stop and ask some questions about the Morgan OI. I really like the boat in the 33 range but have heard some unsavory things about other Morgans and blister or delam. issues. I was looking for someone that may have had some knowledge.

What a perfect boat though!!! Maybe I will wait for a while and gain a better understanding since I couldn't ask for more in a gunkholer!

Bajamas
Old 02-25-2006, 03:50 AM   #4
Admiral

But the Morgan doesn't have a cored hull, does it? I thought it wsas solid GRP.

if so, at the age of the boat, if it hasn't delaminated by now, do you really worry that it will?

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 09:09 AM   #5
Ensign

Go with a Westsail 32, much prettier and undisputably well built...

Tags
island