Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-26-2007, 01:36 PM   #21
Rear Admiral

No lawyers? Here in America you can't sneeze without waking a lawyer. Just think of the cup of coffee from Mac Donald's, and you will understand. Everyone who drinks coffee understands it is HOT, and sometimes too HOT to drink immediatley. Yet this woman won a lawsuit.

I can admire the thought of this plan, but still think it is not a wise idea. Especially because for his own pleasure he can put others at risk, or inconvenience.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:42 PM   #22
Lieutenant

Hmmm, in this day of ultralight racer/cruisers..or just racer/"cruiser in name only" boats, perhaps worrying about whether that man's rig can take 4k from the masthead iis a valid point, but in "the old days" when i started messing around with this stuff, if you couldn't pull a boat over by throwing a line to the masthead, that rig had no business being on a blue water boat. My current rig was expressly designed to take a full roll and not lose the sticks...and yes, I sleep better because of it.

on the ultra low bridges point, seems to me there is a particularly notorious bridge on the French Canal system that just happens to be adjacent to a popular pub. Apparently if there is any question of clearance, a pop off the boat and into the pub, and probably a round for the house, will result in formidable aditional ballast on the hoof , as it were, sufficient to sink the boat a few more inches and thereby clear the bridge after which, a quick return to the pub to celebrate is usually in order

seer

Old 11-27-2007, 02:02 PM   #23
Ensign

I like the burgee still flying from the pig stick, and the audacity to succeed. I think it is a brilliantly engineered solution that should be admired for what it is. As far as the side loads on sheaves and the mast, it kind of reminds me of a spinnaker knockdown, but of a very gentle kind. Somehow the spinnaker halyard and mast usually survives, although exceptions are memorable.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:17 PM   #24
Rear Admiral

Home Port: Hamburg
Vessel Name: Aquaria

The yacht is heeling at an angle of about 35°, while passing the bridge.

The yacht is unter engine.

My marine diesel engine manual states, that the heeling of the engine schould not exceed 15° under operation.

What type of engine can be operated over several minutes under such circumstances?

Uwe

SY Aquaria

More on my Centurion 32:
https://www.cabinetdeparodontologie.n...ria/index.html
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Germany, Background, Cruising/Sailing the German Bight
Aquaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:37 PM   #25
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaria View Post
The yacht is heeling at an angle of about 35°, while passing the bridge.

The yacht is unter engine.

My marine diesel engine manual states, that the heeling of the engine schould not exceed 15° under operation.

What type of engine can be operated over several minutes under such circumstances?

Uwe

SY Aquaria
Good catch, Uwe. Someone else will have to do the math (I used a plotting sheet with compass rose), but an 80' mast would have to be heeled about 40 degrees to get it down to 60'. What's happening with the oil pressure here?

Bill