Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #15

I still dislike Windows 8, and the experience with a tech rep. at Best Buy did not improve my opinion of the OS, or the tech rep. And there was a bit of a bruised ego for me, since I should have figured it out myself.

I have to point out that in general I love the support that I have received from Best Buy, and with one exception I have had nothing but praise for the sales associates I have encountered there. This recent experience was not what I have normally experienced. However, perhaps the rep. was just too young to treat me as a reasonably intelligent computer user - after all, I'm grey-haired, came in dressed boat-shabby, and I admitted that the problem was due to a mistake on my part that I had been totally unable to resolve. I think that she (yes, SHE) needs to develop a few more people skills, however, since the problem was due to an unexplained change in the OS login procedures from previous Windows versions. Never mind, problem solved, though the bigger problems remain lurking in the background just waiting to hit me with a "gotcha!"

I hope your GPS works - mine is an old Deluo from at least Windows XP, though it worked with Vista and Windows 7. With so many other GPS' with us on the boat (on my phone and tablet, for example) I am not thrilled about buying a new dedicated GPS. The phone or tablet GPS should be connectable to the computer and work, but it doesn't yet and I'm a bit short-tempered about the failure to get the computer to recognize it. I've tried bluetooth -it's supposed to work but OpenCPN doesn't recognize the connection. So today or tomorrow I'm going to try the navigation software on the tablet to see if it's going to work. It's supposed to, but again, my age and a short temper is working against me right now.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:33 PM   #16
Commander

I feel your pain! My goal in life is to live long enough to see the total demise of anything Microsoft.

No breadfruit can be reached when the picking stick is too short.
Spike_dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:23 AM   #17

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

The gps doesn't work with Window 8. frustration

I might just go to Fryes (the store where I bought the computer--big, big computer store chain) and "test" GPS there in the store with the new computer.

The problem is the Prolific usb-to-serial comm port driver. I've googled it, tried to follow various instructions but still can't get it working. The gps works on our other computers in ubuntu, debian linux, windows 7.

This driver which allows serial devices to be used with USB is very common because it's free. There are some you have to pay for and I note that garmin has their own driver for Windows 8. The puck GPS that we have for our AIS radio is garmin, so perhaps I can find another one of the same.

I'll let you know the outcome...leaving on our trip in 4 days...hope it's resolved by then or I'll be using my method of plotting on the paper charts and pulling the fixes from the radio GPS just mentioned.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #18
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

I envy you all, being able to visit the local computer superstore, chandlery and such. Here in San Carlos, such things are all but unknown. I'll be doing the big long bus ride again soon just so I can buy a few necessities which are unavailable here.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #19

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
I envy you all, being able to visit the local computer superstore, chandlery and such. Here in San Carlos, such things are all but unknown. I'll be doing the big long bus ride again soon just so I can buy a few necessities which are unavailable here.
If your stuff is chandlery related, don't forget to call Downwind Marine in San Diego, CA. They ship things into Mexico (and all over the world, actually) all the time. You can also have non-boater items (things they don't sell) sent to your name c/o their store from other USA stores and they'll (at no cost other than the shipping to you, so no handling fee for them to do this) package it up and send it to you world-wide. Why--because they're nice and they support cruisers. Of course, they hope you'll purchase many marine-related items from their store, too. Great resource for cruisers there.

We're running out of time and still haven't made it to the computer superstore so we may just have to wait on that gps for windows8 to another day.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #20
Lieutenant

Home Port: the boat
Vessel Name: Skipping Stone

We are very happy with our Garmin 3010 networked with the XM weather/music, radar and depth. The unit is mounted at the binnacle above the compass (see attachment), in easy reach. The Garmin charts are a bit dear, but so far, not including the ICW, they have been perfect. As the 3010 is an older unit, it did not come w/ preloaded charts, and when queried Garmin suggested purchasing a unit at the end of it's sales life and network it in to the 3010. I found a new 3206 with all US charts preloaded, at a very reasonable price and mounted it in the aft cabin, giving us a "telltale" unit in our cabin to watch the course, speed, etc. and when needed, an anchor or proximity alarm, using the radar.
Obviously, the US charts may not be of value to you, but a second unit is kind of handy. I would recommend against a touch screen unit as it will get filthy (hard to read?) and I imagine the salt will eventually scratch the screen.
Garmin has some of the best support in the industry, and I still have a handheld purchased in 1991, that works just fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1855457_18.jpg (42.3 KB, 2 views)
facebook.com/svskippingstone
capta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:14 AM   #21
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Here's a sobering thought and a good reason to maintain your traditional navigation skills. Especially where paper charts are concerned:
National & World news, sport, entertainment, business, property, travel | Northern Territory News | Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia | ntnews.com.au

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #22
Lieutenant

Home Port: Stockholm

Windows for me is not user friendly. Unesscessarily complicated. Unreliable sluggish prone to crashes. So, I use linux debian and ubuntu on an old hp laptop. Have a look at puppy linux its fast easy and very user friendly. Sailpup and openCPN too. Ubuntu on a panasonic toughbook laptop is popular with sailors in Australia.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #23
Lieutenant

BTW I whole heartedly agree with maintaining your traditional navigational skills and not depending soley on digital computer navigating. I read somewhere about a guy that learned from old native navigators in the south pacific that navigated with everything surrounding them currents, waves, clouds, winds, stars, sun everything
Old 07-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #24
Lieutenant

JeanneP on another thread navi sailpup a moderator called delatbabel is very knowledgeable on the subject of navigation etc I think you will find his/her input very interesting//Joe

Tags
navigation