Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-20-2005, 12:26 AM   #1
Ensign

Send a message via ICQ to Gianfranco Send a message via Yahoo to Gianfranco
Default New York Canals and Intracostal waterways

I am considering going South via the Canals from lake Erie. My concern is the costs involved. I was told that I must stop at night and have to tie to a marina, in most cases. That means huge marina fees for me.

I need to know if that is true or there is a better way.

The St. Laurence way does not look so bad !!!

Thanks

Gianfranco

Old 07-20-2005, 04:35 AM   #2
Ensign

Friends of mine just completed the Great Loop (Lake Michigan to Mobile, Gulf ICW, East Coast ICW, Hudson River, Erie Canal, etc back to Lake Michigan) and anchored about 1/3 of the time. They felt they could have anchored much more often. I have done the East Coast ICW a couple of times. Sometimes anchoring and sometimes going through the night without stopping. Anchoring opportunities vary with where you are. I think you have to stop when in the canals, but there are often places to tie up at the locks or at town docks without paying marina fees.

Check out http://www.greatloop.com/ and other sites for great reference information.

Old 07-21-2005, 05:00 AM   #3
Ensign

Going through the Erie Canal is relatively cheap since you do not need to pay for dockage if you stay at one of the locks and in some other places. In some cases, towns have commercial docks that you must pay for, in others it is free and used as an inducement to get you into the town to shop/go to restaurants. From Lake Erie you can either go all the way through the Canal or go through the Welland into Lake Ontario and get into the NYS canals at Oswego. Seaway locks are CAN$20 each and there are eight on the Welland and seven along the St Lawrence.

Going down the St Lawrence is a good trip if you have lots of time - it is a very long way to New York City going that way compared to the Erie/Hudson. Using the Erie, you can be in NYC in 9 or 10 days (not rushing). Going out the St Lawrence it is more like 5 weeks or more.

What kind of boat do you have and what experience do you have? These, along with time, could determine which way is best.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:58 PM   #4
Ensign

Thank you for the useful replies. my experience is limited to lake Huron and Geogian Bay. My boat is a sailboat of 30 ft and made of steel ..Draft 6 ft ...

Thanks again

Gianfranco
Old 07-23-2005, 09:21 AM   #5
Ensign

When do you plan to leave and how much time do you have?
Old 07-24-2005, 12:31 AM   #6
Ensign

I am planning for next year in the fall and I have a lot of time... too bad i had some bad experience going with friends who believed to be on a cruise with captain and Molly Made....so , i wonder how difficult it would be to go alone in the canal. I am probably asking for too much....hihi.. Thanks for your posting.

Gianfranco

Tags
canal, new york