Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Home Port: the boat
Vessel Name: Skipping Stone

Well, the time is coming for us to make the decision which route we'll choose to the Caribbean.

EVERY time I've left from New England for St. Thomas via Bermuda, I've gotten my as* kicked on the Bermuda leg!

Last season was no exception. But there was a large group who left from Norfolk & every one of them I met in the Caribbean had an uneventful, pleasant voyage, though pretty much on the wind the whole trip.

And that's the rub. The Bermuda track makes the voyage (after the pasting) a beam reach, certainly the more preferable point of sail. But is it worth it?

Don't all chime in at once, now, but I'd be very interested in who is taking which route.

Regards

facebook.com/svskippingstone
capta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:04 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post

Well, the time is coming for us to make the decision which route we'll choose to the Caribbean.

EVERY time I've left from New England for St. Thomas via Bermuda, I've gotten my as* kicked on the Bermuda leg!

Last season was no exception. But there was a large group who left from Norfolk & every one of them I met in the Caribbean had an uneventful, pleasant voyage, though pretty much on the wind the whole trip.

And that's the rub. The Bermuda track makes the voyage (after the pasting) a beam reach, certainly the more preferable point of sail. But is it worth it?

Don't all chime in at once, now, but I'd be very interested in who is taking which route.

Regards
sorry to say I haven't made that trip so cannot give you direct experience--I will hope others come along shortly to assist you. However, I do know a very experienced sailor who, for 16 years, made that trip (every other year) by leaving their home in Boston, going down the coast some distance to visit relatives (son and grandson) on the Chesapeake and then onwards. Before that (oh, probably 25 years or so) he used to do the same trip via Bermuda almost yearly. He enjoyed the Bermuda trips immensely and had many, many more tales of how wonderful the sailing was. So, my impressions were that via Bermuda was a better trip.

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
Captain, Sailboat Reboot

Home Port: None
Vessel Name: Reboot
Send a message via AIM to svReboot

One route is to head from Norfolk toward Bermuda to get east, then turn south rather than run down the Bahamas. It is probably more comfortable than direct Rhode Island to Bermuda
Web Site: https://www.sailboatreboot.com
Blog:https://blog.sailboatreboot.com
svReboot is offline   Reply With Quote