Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-15-2007, 12:52 PM   #15
Ensign

We have two heads cause the boat came that way. It actually comes in handy on occasion, guests on board, or if there is an issue with the primary head, most of the time it is a wet locker. Don't think I would take it out but would I make it a requirement not sure of that either.

SV Sirius

Moody 47
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 06:32 PM   #16
Rear Admiral

Our Hylas came equiped with two Groko K model heads - both of which would spit at me when flushing. Our last boat had the very same crapper and problems. And the STINK! My Gawd!

So - instead of trying to rebuild them - I removed 'em both and replaced ONE of them with a Lavac Zenith. And after cleaning-up the old Grokos, I sold them for nearly as much as the new (and FAR superior) Lavac and have been loving life ever since.

In place of the other head I'm installing a small washing machine, which, when combined with a watermaker, eliminates two chores every time we arrive in a new port - hauling laundry ashore and hauling water back to the boat.

We have been full-time liveaboards for 15 years and I've never felt the need for a second head. Ever.

To Life!

Kirk

Old 09-16-2007, 11:04 PM   #17

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallivanters View Post
Our Hylas came equiped with two Groko K model heads - both of which would spit at me when flushing. Our last boat had the very same crapper and problems. And the STINK! My Gawd!

So - instead of trying to rebuild them - I removed 'em both and replaced ONE of them with a Lavac Zenith. And after cleaning-up the old Grokos, I sold them for nearly as much as the new (and FAR superior) Lavac and have been loving life ever since.

In place of the other head I'm installing a small washing machine, which, when combined with a watermaker, eliminates two chores every time we arrive in a new port - hauling laundry ashore and hauling water back to the boat.

We have been full-time liveaboards for 15 years and I've never felt the need for a second head. Ever.

To Life!

Kirk
Kirk, I'm with you about the washer and water-maker. Off topic....We have a small washer/dryer (Italian made) that we're using right now on shore to make sure we like it and will be able to live with it on board the boat. It will go into our boat last minute right before we launch. If you do get one, I suggest one that has its own internal water heater so you can efficiently use hot water if desired. Also, get one that does NOT have a condensing system for dryer--get a regular exhaust dryer vented one--it dries better and takes less energy. Ours will be situated in a location just forward of the galley. We will be able to hook the dryer discharge up to a porthole directly above the washer/dryer when we want to dry clothes. Because of the electricity used, we will very likely simply hang clothes to dry when possible, but having it be a combo washer/dryer for when you NEED a dryer is nice.

What do you think your time and $ savings will be by not lugging water and laundry? How does it work out to compare your cost of watermaker and washer?

Back on topic:

What about all this that I've heard about some "no discharge" zones. I've heard of folks who couldn't cruise in desired areas because they only had 1 head with a Y valve. Do you have a holding tank that all discharge goes through and no direct discharge? I'd heard that an easy way to deal with operating in some no-discharge zones is to have one toilet that does NOT discharge, period, the other that does. Thus, 2 toilets. Maybe what I've heard isn't correct info about no-discharge zones and Y valves being a no-no.??? We're not planning on a Y valve so all will go through the holding tank on our boat anyway, but I'm curious.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:04 AM   #18
Lieutenant

I'm on a Beneteau 50 at the moment that has 4 heads. Each of the 3 normal cabins has one, in its own bathroom.

There is also one in the "crew" space in the forepeak, so it less than a metre from the bunk. Phew!!

Excessive. Two would be luxury - a larger one with a shower (for general use) and a backup.

duckie
Old 12-26-2010, 10:01 PM   #19

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

We ended up installing a single head. Only one. And, as it turns out, we made the choice of that one a composting head--not a marine head. (See Airhead and Nature's Headfor the type we installed). The land-lubbers are totally grossed out/overwhelmed somehow so they seem to "hold it" during day sails. Works a charm!

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:38 AM   #20
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post

We ended up installing a single head. Only one. And, as it turns out, we made the choice of that one a composting head--not a marine head. (See Airhead and Nature's Headfor the type we installed). The land-lubbers are totally grossed out/overwhelmed somehow so they seem to "hold it" during day sails. Works a charm!
Sometime ago, before the 'greenies' made their mark, I rented a small sail boat on the Norfolk Broads in UK's East Anglia. It had a fold down mast in a tabernacle to allow passage under the lowest bridges. It also had an amazingly simple toilet (head) The seat was the normal type on which to sit and plan the day, it had the normal fold down lid. Contents exited via a straight 6" PVC Pipe into the water below.