Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-02-2007, 03:29 PM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

I was pondering the number of vessels that set-out for Marquesas each season. I've been tracking the progress of approximately 10 - 12 this year. Has anybody taken a survey of the number of vessels that set-out to circumnavigate each year versus the number of vessels that actually complete the trip?

Old 08-02-2007, 09:32 PM   #2
Rear Admiral

Trim,

I would immagine the good folks at Latitude 38 would have a fair idea of the number of those participating in the Pacific Puddle Jump bound for French Polynesia.

And I bet someone from the Immigration office in New Zealand may be able to supply an approximate number of arrivals as, New Zealand seems to be a mandatory destination in the SoPac.

Then if someone were to try and contact officials involved with Panama & Suez Canal transits and South Africa & Chile arrivals... you might be able to work out how many boats are "out there" underway.

The only problem I see with trying to determine the actual number is factoring in the individual pace of the variety of vessels who left their home port and may still be out there wandering about and thinking about completing a circumnavigation maybe ten... tweny or thirty years later. We've been at it since 1994 - and we still have a lot of places to see before we swallow our anchor.

We met several people out there doing the 18 Month Fast Track... but we didn't really get to know them because they were gone before we could even pull a cork out of a bottle of wine to share with them.

I guess they felt they had to hurry back to work... or something.

To Life!

Kirk

Old 08-03-2007, 03:58 AM   #3
Admiral

Yeah, I'm really trying to get a feel for how many people stop in a new coutry and never leave...at least not for a few years. Although we are planning for a 5 year circ, I'm betting it will be more like 10 or 12...I have no need or desire to rush back.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:43 PM   #4
Rear Admiral

"I have no need or desire to rush back."

That's the Spirit!!

It's definitely more fun to have no time constraints.

I sailed away from my homeport in 1994 (at age 38) just to start a new job over the horizon. The job was good - but the adventure of getting there was better... so I quit the job, abandoned all career pursuits and have been wandering about this lovely planet ever since.

When I need to top-up the cruising kitty I stop and work a while. Easy. And you really don't need so much as a full-time liveaboard.

Since starting, this cruising adventure has rewarded me with a new and improved wife, a fine son, a bigger boat, countless friends and un-immaginable fulfillment. I plan to stay the course.

See you out there! We'll be underway again sometime next year, following sunsets until we run into Australia, again.

And God only knows how long it'll take us to get there!

Kirk
Old 08-03-2007, 06:29 PM   #5
Admiral

Kirk,

Do you have a blog or website? What did you do for a living before you started cruising?

Ken
Old 08-03-2007, 07:34 PM   #6
Rear Admiral

"Do you have a blog or website? What did you do for a living before you started cruising?"

I've worked on, around, above and below the ocean ever since elisting in the US Navy - three decades ago. My first ship was an aircraft carrier (CV-63). My last ship was a salvage vessel (ARS-39)... Google 'em if you like. I did four years active duty as a jet mechanic and deep sea diver and was honorably discharged in Pearl Harbor.

Since then my draw was toward the water and my passion began with hard hat diving and soon focused on manned submersibles & remote controlled vessels... and everything related. I've worked on well over a hundred commercial vessels - above and below the surface. I swam away from it all in 1994... when my last boat was paid for.

I have no website. What's a blog?

My "credentials" for making money while cruising are US & Australian Master's Licenses, Commercial Diving certificates, skills at sewing canvas and no qualms with lending a hand when needed or teaching people what I know.

Some ports are more generous than others... we linger in great places and skedattle quickly from bad ones.

In my opinion, St Thomas is the best port and Brunei was the worst.

The Number One Rule I've learned about cruising on a tight budget is DON'T EVER GO BROKE IN A POOR COUNTRY.

All-in-all Life is Good.

See you Out There!

Kirk

PS - You're in Long Beach? Do you know our friends Richard and Gayle on G Dock?
Old 08-03-2007, 08:27 PM   #7
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallivanters View Post

The Number One Rule I've learned about cruising on a tight budget is DON'T EVER GO BROKE IN A POOR COUNTRY.

All-in-all Life is Good.

See you Out There!

Kirk

PS - You're in Long Beach? Do you know our friends Richard and Gayle on G Dock?
Wow! Sounds like a truly rich life...makes me think I should get my captains license before I go.

Yes, we keep our boat on C-Dock. I've been there 10 years now. I can't say for sure if I know them, but I have most likely seen them. Do you know the name of their boat? After years of being hounded, we just joined the Shoreline Yacht Club...so maybe we will meet them there. We are #3 on the waiting list for liveaboard. When we get it, we are quitting our jobs and moving back down to LBC and finalizing the preparation for our journey. It is getting so close that the thought of pushing-off consumes us.

What was so bad about Brunei?
Old 08-04-2007, 12:01 AM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
What was so bad about Brunei?
Hi, I will let Kirk answer your question as to his experience.

------------------------------------------

Updating Brunei :- The Royal Brunei Yacht club is good , The Boat Club in Kuala Belait is welcoming.

Fuel is cheap compared to Malaysian ports either side of Brunei. Immigration and customs no problem . The main port of Muara no problem. DUTY FREE for importing parts etc for yachts. Generally facilities are of a high standard.

A fairly conservative dress code is recommended - especially when visiting Government offices. Firearms must be declared on arrival. Alcohol consumption on board in private OK. No bad experiences reported by cruising yachts to

HF radio net in the last 5 years.

Richard
Old 08-04-2007, 02:03 PM   #9
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallivanters View Post
Is that because Cathy is an Aussie and Brunei was in its anti-Australian visa snit? They were making it very hard for Aussies there.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 11:11 PM   #10
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP View Post
Is that because Cathy is an Aussie and Brunei was in its anti-Australian visa snit? They were making it very hard for Aussies there.
Hello Jeanne,

Great word "Snit"

I looked it up :- Thesaurus 'snit' - a state of agitated irritation; "he was in a snit"

annoyance, botheration, irritation, vexation

Richard
Old 08-06-2007, 08:37 AM   #11
Ensign

Hi there

I operate a marine store in Durban, South Africa, and am also the SSCA cruising station here. Our firm probably has contact with almost all new arrivals in South Africa as we offer many cruising related guides, charts, flags, etc. In any one year I would estimate we have well over a hundred new visitors arriving, mainly from the Indian ocean, and clearing in in Richards Bay or Durban and often as far south as East London or Port Elizabeth. Most of these visitors carry on with their circumnavigation after a few months, but often a few would stay for a season or two.

With regards,

Tony

Hope to see you in South Africa one of these days

New & Used charts, guides, pilots, flags, ebooks, etc., WORLDWIDE.

https://www.cruisingconnections.co.za
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:37 PM   #12
Rear Admiral

Thanks, Tony, for the nice invitation!

I would love to add the Cape of Good Hope to my logbook... so don't be too surprised if we drop our anchor in Port Elizabeth some day.

And - thanks for the statistics!

Cheers!

Kirk

PS - "Well Over A Hundred New Visitors Arriving..." come on Mate - give us an accurate number!

Tags
navigation