Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 11:50 PM   #15
Ensign

Mr Bone,

Here is a repeat of the question that wwas ignored :-

"Have you provided people with the trust deed that you used to register with the Charities Commission ??? Is this the same document that you sent to Jerry ??"

And

How about letting us see what is in the trust deed you registered with the Charities Commission ?

We previously posted that you were registered

In checking with the Charities Commission, they have a record of your registration as a Charity - 17th APR 08.

To also repeat an observation :

It would interesting to see which communities has Oceanwatch assisted and to what extent in terms of the deed registered with the Charities Commission ?

Old 04-27-2008, 12:56 AM   #16
Ensign

Lighthouse posted the link to our Trust Deed above so everyone who follows this Forum has had the opportunity to review it. That is the copy held by the govenment on their site.

The document I sent to Jerry was an unsigned copy, they should be identical. The signed copy is the one available in the link, my copy of that is far too large to post here.

Let me try and clarify a bit more here for you.

There are 2 processes in New Zealand. Firstly you have to register your organisation. That means Incorporating yourself with the Companies Office. That got done under the Charitable Trusts Act 1957. That happened for us in December. Then you can apply for registration with the Charities Commission. That happened on 17/04/08. When you are registered with the Charities Commission you can get you tax free donation status.

This was not done by me but by Lawyers. OceansWatch is fully registered as required under law in New Zealand and everyone has been able to see all our documents.

As I will freely admit we are a new organisation with no track record. We are trained to offer a very worthwhile service as I have outlined above. We have spent time in Tonga, Vanuatu and PNG so are aware of what can be done and have much planned. We are working with govenment departments and local people in all cases and have yacht owning members interested in joining us to get involved. We set off for Tonga, Vanuatu and PNG soon. Anyone who wishes to hear about what we are doing can sign up for a newsletter here http://oceanswatch.org/mailman/listinfo/oc...oceanswatch.org

Old 04-27-2008, 01:39 AM   #17
Ensign

Hi Mr Bone,

This article is interesting, is there a connection ?

Brisbane 87/88
Old 04-27-2008, 05:49 AM   #18
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafever View Post
Hi Mr Bone,

This article is interesting, is there a connection ?

Brisbane 87/88
You have been working hard !

I have no qualms about my Greenpeace background in fact I'm proud of it. Thanks for reminding me:-)

I am not wanting to get into a political debate here though. FYI I was charged and the case was thrown out.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:26 AM   #19
Ensign

It was not hard to find some of your history.

Surely it is reasonable to know a little about the backround of someone who is running an organization which asks $25 dollars from each subscriber per year to provide a news letter ?

Especially when considering "As I will freely admit we are a new organisation with no track record".
Old 04-27-2008, 06:53 AM   #20
Admiral

Just a little reminder - Collingwood's request to see Oceanwatch's current Workplan and Cost Estimate remains unanswered. I assume there is such a thing????

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Old 04-27-2008, 10:17 AM   #21
Ensign

I saw a post on another cruising forum that shows that oceanswatch is currently looking for 3 crew for a yacht heading for the Pacific - it states that crew must have reasonable experience AND PAY $250 A WEEK. $250 X 3 = $750 per week??????? Tax free??

Looking into this, I came across this forum discussion here. I have read the "trust" document VERY carefully and am amazed at how it is so heavily structured around the "advantages" to the Trust members. Seems all the members are cruisers/sailors/scuba divers and as members, can be compensated for their overheads, time, vessel maintanance, dive tanks, etc. i.e. Have their time/holiday-time, etc., paid for by the "Trust" - money collected from the public. Free LIFESTYLE!!!

Show us a statement of accounts. No-one can live (let alone have a wonderful lifestyle) with no income. Supposedly. members are to receive no remuneration from the "Trust", but will be covered "for services rendered" to the said "Trust". WONDERFUL!!

Oh Boy! Let me form such a Trust for my own cruising lifestyle. I will measure how far the tide comes up on the beaches on all the Pacific islands. I will call for donations to fund this - to pay for my sustainance, fuel, new outboards, dinghy, yacht maintanance - everything.

Sorry, I do not buy this! My $25 is not going towards anything here.

Excuse the rant.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:28 AM   #22
Ensign

The feelings I have had from this Forum have been mostly negative. I believe that if I chose to post a workplan or cost estimate it would only be met with negativity. There is often more than one way of looking at a document and my experience here leads me to believe that people would not be objective. Therefore I chose not tp post any plans. Our plans are outlined on our website and anyone genuinely interested can follow it and sign up for newsletters.

As for value for money. Well it's a charity! You are donating and the value for money will be reflected in the results. Again, sign up for newsletters.

OceansWatch would love not to charge anything, maybe that will be the case one day. I am taking 2 crew. If they were charged $250pw that would be $500 pw. Do the sums, the boat is worth ~100,000, there is food, fuel, R & M and so on. Nothing really left for anyone to make a profit or draw a wage.

FYI the Trust document is a standard off the shelf one that many NZ charities use. It was supplied to us by our Lawyers. It's only the first sections that are unique to OceansWatch I.E. the stuff about what we do, not how we administer. Of course we must have some expenses covered or this could not be sustainable.

I have not received any wage at all from OceansWatch. I have worked pretty much flat out for > 1 year. I do this because I firmly believe in what I am doing. I have no qualms about my ethics and will not waste more time defending them. I have better things to do.

I work with a really great team of positive, optimistic people. This Forum feels very negative and just takes energy that can be better used in a positive manner.

So my message to the OceansWatch detractors here is carry on without me, rant amongst your selves.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:42 PM   #23
Lieutenant

Home Port: Port Huron
Send a message via AIM to Duane2312

WOW... Great work!

I almost felt sorry for the guy. Then I kept reading.

If it looks like a skunk and smells like a skunk...
Old 05-03-2008, 02:49 PM   #24
Lieutenant

Home Port: Port Huron
Send a message via AIM to Duane2312

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanswatch View Post
The feelings I have had from this Forum have been mostly negative. I believe that if I chose to post a workplan or cost estimate it would only be met with negativity.
If you were honest, you wouldn't let you "feelings" get in the way of your organization. Just post the document.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:37 PM   #25
Ensign

I believe that it was I who was the one requesting the Workplan and Cost Estimate. There was certainly no animosity in my post nor in my request. By not posting this but simply referring to plans "outlined" on your website you are, more or less, substantiating my worst fears.

As previously mentioned, I have worked in the development field in the past and ALL our Workplans and and Cost Estimates were published in their entirety on our website. You can find them here (under publications) Further, regular Progress Reports, linked to the Workplans, were issued to show how the envisaged work was developing. In my opinion, that website is a benchmark for transparency within the aid and development sector.

Feel free to think that if you "chose to post a workplan or cost estimate it would only be met with negativity" but how negative do you imagine people will take that comment? "Have you something to hide?" will, I suspect, be in the thoughts of many. Ultimately it is your choice to be transparent or not.

Based upon how you choose, others will judge.

James Lidstone-Collingwood
Old 05-03-2008, 04:48 PM   #26
Ensign

A Google search reveals that Chris Bone has posted his stuff (or engineered it to be posted) on a huge number of websites on the Net. I also came across a profile of himself where he calls himself an "entrepeneur" - main business is yacht deliveries. There is always a strong reference to his business in many of these oceanswatch posts. Good way to advertise without being called up for spamming perhaps?

A "charitable" org should be happy to make public their plans and budgets. What is to hide? I don't buy this!
Old 05-03-2008, 06:03 PM   #27
Ensign

You say:

"I am taking 2 crew. If they were charged $250pw that would be $500 pw. Do the sums, the boat is worth ~100,000, there is food, fuel, R & M and so on. Nothing really left for anyone to make a profit or draw a wage."

Absolute hogwash. If you can't afford to run the boat then don't run it. You need crew to help sail the yacht - they should be paid for their work and not have to pay to do the work.

Or,

1) Are you doing what this website has called "paying holidays" (diving holidays) on their crew finder?

2) Is your vessel licenced to carry paying "passengers"?

3) Does the captain pay as well? If not, why not? Or, is the captain one of the Trustees who, according to your Trust document, can be paid for his time and services by the Trust?

"the boat is worth ~100,000 .... fuel, R & M and so on"

According to your Trust document this is covered by the Trust?

Come straight Mr Bone - come back and give some answers.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:22 PM   #28
Admiral

Some good and interesting comments by both Collingwood and Callum.

I see no reason for Oceanwatch to be negative here as by simply posting their Workplan and Cost Estimate as well as answering Callum's questions the issue can be simply resolved. By not answering the questions or posting the Workplan the members of this forum will have little choice but to believe that OceanWatch is not what it purports to be.

The ball is firmly in OceanWatch's court and unless it is knocked back it will be game, set and match to Callum & Collingwood.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Closed Thread