Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-05-2007, 12:41 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Has anyone seen the new movie Open Water 2 - Adrift? I rented it last night and I don't remember ever seeing a movie that drove me more nuts than this one! I'm not saying it wasn't a good movie, but I just couldn't stop the frustration I had with these individuals in the water. They were doomed from the get go and maybe that was part of the plot.

For anyone that has not seen it, you may wish to stop reading this so as not to spoil the story, but the main premise of the story is that 6 people take a large sailboat out to enjoy a day together. Somehow, they all end up in the water without deploying a ladder. This ties into something that I replied to in this forum regarding swimming around in the deep blue. The movie is based on true events and maybe that was one of them I don't know but these 6 people are in the water with an infant still on board, which I guess adds to the suspense. The boat is adrift with a freeboard of about 6'.

I have to believe that the frustration I had with this group was planted as there couldn't be a more unintelligent group of people in the world. I could almost buy the whole "Whoops, where's the ladder" idea but lets take an inventory of what went into the water with them.

1. Knife!

2. 4' blow up dolphin

3. Pair of snorkel goggles

4. PFD - Worn by one of the members that was afraid of the water.

5. Later, what looked like a jacket or even wetsuit top.

6. All the bathing suits and clothing that was worn by those that went in.

I would like to think that if some of the people on this forum ended up in the water with me, that SOMEONE would have said, OK, lets take inventory of what we have and how we can use it to get back on board .

I had come up with at least 5 unique ways by using what was in the water to get back on board.

Anyone have any suggestions???

Bajamas

Old 03-05-2007, 01:40 PM   #2
Ensign

OK - I'll start with the obvious. Use the knife to cut up the clothing into strips. Tie the strips end-to-end into a "rope". Tie the PFD to the end as a possible "anchor" and toss the PFD over a life-line & hope that the PFD "anchors" over the life-line - at least to get the lightest person up on board.

They had so much "stuff" there must be many methods which I'll leave for others to think about.

Old 03-05-2007, 08:29 PM   #3
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

Netflix is sending me a copy this week. I'll burn...I mean watch it Wednesday.

Sounds like an interesting story-line.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:31 AM   #4
Rear Admiral

No I did not see it. No you did not wreck it by telling what it was about. Thanks for telling us about it, I will rent it.

Well it is HOLLYWOOD! It is supposed to be suspenseful, it seems that was the prediciment and the plot. Having a ladder or rope available would have wrecked that.

Despite what drove you nuts, there is a lesson in it. Think and plan ahead. Hind Site is 20-20.

Edited to Add:

When in a situation, don't panic, remain calm, think, use the resources at hand, even if unconventional.

Harbor_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:44 AM   #5
Admiral

Close the Topic - The contrived horror movies from Hollywood are nothing less than contrived junk.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:49 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
Close the Topic - The contrived horror movies from Hollywood are nothing less than contrived junk.
Not that I disagree with you, but 3 or 4 years ago when Open Water 1 was out, we had a diver adrift near Catalina who was left by the dive boat in the exact same way as in the movie. The only reason he lived to tell his story was that a boy scout on one of the Catalina Express boat just happened to see him waving his arm off in the distance.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:40 PM   #7
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
Actually, this IS based on real life events! I had heard the story long before the movie was offered. I am sure that certain particulars were embelished but nontheless there were 5 people that jumped off a Sailboat while in the open ocean and could not get back on. I don't know if they perished or not but this event certainly was NOT contrived. Just like the original Open Water was based on the TRUE story of Tom and Eileen Lonergan that disappeared off the Great Barrier Reef after a diving company accidentally left them behind. This happened in 1998. Their bodies were never recovered. THAT one wasn't contrived either! (Story here: http://www.cdnn.info/news/article/a040723.html)

Long before the movie was offered as a story line, I have wondered what the options would be if found in the circumstance of being in the water without a direct way of getting back on. This is more the flavor of this thread. I was merely using what the movie offered as an example of what may have ended up in the water with them to see what interesting options were offered.

So how bout' we keep the thread open to see what interesting manner of inventorion others might be able to offer. K?

Bajamas
Old 03-07-2007, 01:10 PM   #8
Rear Admiral

Not quite off topic - and relative.

Around ten years back we went out on a Barrier Reef excursion on a big power cat - and end up then going off on a small power boat to snorkel off the outside of the reef with a marine biologist guide.

We were surprised at the current whipping through the area and after 30 minutes or so, our group of ten ended up maybe 1/2 mile from the anchored power boat, with only one wide section of coral before the open ocean.

All the waving in the world did not wake up the chappie left on the boat - and we were soon 1 mile away - and just about to be swept further, when I finally managed to plant my feet on the platform reef and stop our movement. The guys all ended up doing the same - and held onto the ladies.

I should add we were all good swimmers - but that current was stronger than we were. It did seem strange, leaning against such a current - about 17 miles offshore. Good job the seas were relatively flat!

The poor bilogist (25 ish lady) seemed more upset we'd put our feet down than anything else - and it took a further hour for the boat to wake up and come and get us.............but it's easy to see how people can get into trouble in even a holiday setting - and I certainly never go on such a trip again without some distress kit.

Cheers

JOHN
Old 03-09-2007, 07:41 PM   #9
Admiral

Viewed the movie last night and came away with a major case of boat envy. I looked-up "Godspeed" on the USCG registry and couldn't find anything hailing from San Diego. Nonetheless, what a fabulous boat!

Oh yeah, the movie was OK too.