Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-13-2010, 01:23 AM   #1
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

Just thought I'd drop in an update since I haven't been on much in the past few months.

Just sold my Pearson. She was a great boat but just didn't have the spirit that I want in a boat... sounds odd probably but she was too white a pretty... a problem i realized very shortly after buying... the boats I'm looking at now are all very much "gypsy boats"... lots of character and super simple...

the boat that is top of my list now is an old 37ft LOD 52ft LOA ferro gaff pilot cutter... she's a beast, very solid with a good engine but needs lots of tlc...

I'll be posting some questions in some of the other sections about specifics of some of the boats I'm unsure of.

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:07 AM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Good luck! in making your purchase of your next boat. I know of a couple very nice classic yachts out there. Give us a call if you want to know what we've heard of recently.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:03 AM   #3
Admiral

Quote :-

"the boat that is top of my list now is an old 37ft LOD 52ft LOA ferro gaff pilot cutter... she's a beast, very solid with a good engine but needs lots of tlc..."

--------------------------------

Hi Jay,

Tlc - what's that mean? Do the above measurements mean that she has a 15ft bowsprit? What length the LWL? Nothing wrong with ferro, many examples of these built 40+ years ago and still in good nick. However, one needs to know where she was built, by whom, and under what conditions. The majority were built by amateurs in the backyard, often to plans produced by Hartley:- C L I C K

Apart from a very close and careful examination of the hull, one needs to look for soft spots in the deck - especially where the pilothouse joins the deck.

Good luck

Richard
Old 11-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #4
Admiral

TLC = tender loving care. At the moment she is an odd shade of torquise with brown decks, that will all need a new color of paint. There's a lot of mildew on the headliner which I doubt will clean off, so I'll have to pull that down and install a new one, I'll just use a vaneered fiber board, which is what is up there now, it's just old, the cabin sole is in need of a good sand and varnishing, 30+ years of foot traffic and looks like it's never been revarnished, she does need a new rig, but it's galvanized so that will be cheap to pull down nico=press and put back up.

The kind of work I like, lots of elbow grease not a lot of money...

Fortunately the boat was made in a yard... and she doesn't have ply decks like many ferro baots, the decks and combings are all ferro... the only exterior wood is the companionway, hatch covers, and binnicle...

I'm waiting on the yard information now so that I can do one last check up on their reputation before making an offer.

we'll see what happens.

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
Old 11-13-2010, 10:10 PM   #5
Admiral

Is the Bowsprit really 15ft?
Old 11-13-2010, 10:19 PM   #6
Admiral

it is and about 6 inch diameter...

She carries a LOT of sail for her size.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:37 AM   #7
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by atavist View Post

it is and about 6 inch diameter...

She carries a LOT of sail for her size.
Jay,

Do you know the design/designer of that boat? With these measurements :- 37ft LOD, 52ft LOA, Mast 16in Diameter,Bowsprit 15ft -

and my guess that an LWL be around 32ft, giving a hull speed of 7.5 kts.

What height is the mast? Somehow, it is very hard not to conclude that she is uniquely out of proportion.

Richard
Old 11-14-2010, 11:00 PM   #8
Admiral

yeah, I agree she does seem a bit out of proportion. The owner is digging through his paperwork trying to find the builder info. We know she was yard built on the north coast of CA. She has much more the lines of an old working boat than a yacht... there is in fact nothing "yachty" about her, which is one of the things I like.

Her mast is only around 45, but she has a very nearly symetrical gaff rig (boom and gaff are both nearly 20ft)... so a LOT of canvas down low.

don't think I mentioned before that she also has a 6 1/2 foot draft, and a very full keel. Nearly 7 foot head room inside, which is very nice... i wish I had taken some pics... she's very bluff above the waterline and very sharp below...

Looking on the net this is the closest I can find to her. This is not an image of her... just very similar, accept she doesn't have a transom hung rudder, she has an extended global stern.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:25 AM   #9
Admiral

Jay,

That GJŐA was Roald Amundsen's, the 1st vessel to traverse the North West Passage. Which was a 70ft LOD sloop.

Not sure that one can compare the boat of interest with the GJŐA.

The GJŐA has a history in California, after she completed her North West Passage she was on show in San Francisco for many years before she was returned on a ship to Oslo - Norway, where she was built in

Here is little note :- Click "Joe"

Richard
Old 11-15-2010, 02:16 AM   #10
Admiral

Beautiful boat. The boat I'm looking at may not compare in size or repuation but the lines are very similar both in profile and on deck. Wouldn't be surprised if she was the inspiration...

I'll post more info when i get it.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:51 AM   #11
Admiral

You mention that yours has a good engine -- what HP?

The GJŐA at 47 tons (excluding stores) for the North West passage, Amundsen fitted a 12 HP paraffin engine - imagine that on a 70ft yacht today!!

Could be the inspiration for your boat's design - she was still in San Francisco in 1972.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:10 PM   #12
Admiral

She has a 93hp Westerbeke. like most westerbekes she sounds like a tank and starts with the twitch of the key.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:25 AM   #13
Admiral

Jay,

I would question why such a large engine in a 37ft boat - it weighs over 1200 lbs. It takes up a lot of space, parts are very difficult to find and expensive. (Check with Torresen.com)

From the little information regarding this boat - its components seem out of normal proportion.

When it comes to surveying ferro cement - a few points to consider:-

The problem is water on both sides of the hull - just a little moisture getting to the iron and steel reinforcing and mesh will eventually oxidize and expand the metal, breaking the strongest concrete. Thru-hulls & chain-plates are another common source of weakness. If the boat has been exposed in its lifetime to freezing temperatures the reinforcing material may contract and cause cracking of the cement.

The survey - it cannot be done in the water, the boat has to come out, not just held in the slings, while the surveyor spends an hour or so tapping the hull, BUT the boat has to be put on the hard stand, washed down thoroughly with soap and fresh water - THEN left to dry out for at least a week - probably longer before the surveyor takes moisture and hull thickness readings. If stainless steel is claimed to have been used in the reinforcing. Then the surveyor will check the hull by using an instrument (Similar to a large magnet) and, very important, the surveyor must be experienced in ferro cement boat surveysClick image for larger version

Name:	Westerbeke W120 Engine.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	1579
Old 11-16-2010, 01:20 AM   #14

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Too big an engine in terms of power isn't likely a problem but weight is significant. This boat seems to displace quite a bit considering it's short length.

This is an interesting boat that reminds me of many DIY boats. The owners often upsize/oversize things thinking "bigger is better" to be safe. All done earnestly. We know a fellow who similarly has a 37 (I think it's 37) ft Tyana that he got a mast from a 52 ft racing sloop and cut it off (wood mast) to fit his sails/etc on the 37 ft boat. He also re-used the rigging from the racing boat too--just cutting it down. Finally, the SS wire was rusty--so he painted it (really) silver with some spray paint to "protect it" I sat down and ran the numbers for him from his boat's original rigging plan showing him that he'd need to add 1400 lbs of lead to the bottom of the keel (yes, bottom of the keel) to counterbalance the huge weight he'd just put up in the oversized rig. He didn't get it.

Be careful of things which seem out of proportion. Hopefully the owner will have a copy of the drawings for his rig and you can take a look to figure out how it was designed to be and how close what you have is.

Good Luck.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:53 AM   #15
Admiral

finally got her documenation information... she's 14 tons net. Unfortunately still no designer/builder info.. I'm trying to get in touch with the previous owner to find out more about the boat. He's the one that brought her to Key West from CA...

At this point I am getting pretty sceptical myself... I really like her lines and layout but if ferro is one of those things you can't take many chances on... Looking at lots of other options... Brenda has put me onto some good leads, if any one else has any recommendation throw them my way... I don't have a lot of cash to hand but I've got a solid work from home job, so I'm looking for something that is a worthwhile project, with a low buying price that I can live-aboard and fix up as I go. My only geographic restriction is that she must be in the US... but I'm open to anywhere in the states or territories.

I'll keep digging on this one though if only to satisfy my curiosity and let you all know what I find.