Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-25-2011, 03:26 AM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Alamosa
Default Overland Sailboat Transport

We'd like to transport our '33 Hunter Monohull from San Carlos, Mexico to Anchorage, Alaska.....any suggestions of who to contact for a bid?

Old 12-25-2011, 08:09 AM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

That's one long, long way to take a boat overland. You will likely have multiple carriers to do this--one in Mexico and one for the rest at a minimum. The cost of such an overland move can be pretty high as well. I only know of boat movers that work in the lower 48--so can't help on this.

You know, you could sail it. Is time an issue?

Best of luck.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: Palm Beach

I would begin by contacting yacht yards in say Seattle and Anchorage and ask them who does this work.
What you want to do is to get directly with a driver who has his own rig to get the best price. If you can hook up with someone going the other way, he won't have to dead head the return trip. I have transported my yacht up and down the east coast. Your deal is not that much different - just way farther. You should also expect there to be some serious danger of damage from flying gravel. You might want to shrink wrap the load.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #4
Ensign

Thanks for the reply. Have you sailed from Mexico to Alaska? Wonder how long it would take and what time of the year is best to start that journey? Time is not necessarily an issue once we start this journey.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:46 PM   #5
Ensign

Thanks for the reply, Xiabbo. Will check this out.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:26 PM   #6
Ensign

Home Port: Palm Beach

My friend Rick bought and refitted a 60' Bertram in Seattle for his charter business in Kodiak and steamed home. Not sure how long it took him but the trip he described was fantastic. I figured you were planning to do the reverse transit. The weather can be buggery in that part of the world. Just remember that when you get to Seattle, you are almost halfway! It is a "fur piece" to be sure and it will be sporty from time to time but I bet really gorgeous.
If you plan to do the cruise, just get the pilot charts and carefully read them plus find some information on when and how to do the cruise. Check out Jimmy Cornell and see what he has to say.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:05 AM   #7

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindenorr View Post
Thanks for the reply. Have you sailed from Mexico to Alaska? Wonder how long it would take and what time of the year is best to start that journey? Time is not necessarily an issue once we start this journey.
Ah. You could have a good adventure. Have I sailed from Mexico to AK? Nope. But I personally know folks who have done so. Hubby and I are slowly migrating North on the US West coast so it is only a matter of time before we end up knocking on your door in Alaska

With a cruising vessel well-fitted for bluewater, you could travel from Mexico to HI and then to AK. Or, I've recently heard of a couple boats doing Mexico-Marshall Islands-AK as a circle route. Either of these would take advantage of the more natural circulation wind/currents than heading straight for your goal of AK. There's a wide window for getting to HI from Mexico--early, early spring through until late summer would work. Getting from HI to Anchorage AK would be the more important leg of the trip. Numerous folks make the trip in late summer. I'm not sure how early in summer you could make the trip north how late in fall.

With a smaller vessel or one not so well fitted for bluewater but that has a good motor, a sailor might prefer to beat to windward up the coast of North America. Numerous folks have made the bash up Baja--that's one of the hard parts. Compared to that bash, it is a cakewalk to get from So. Cal to San Francisco (this I've done twice) and it takes some good decision making to get from SFB to southern BC. From there, getting to southern AK isn't so bad. Getting to Anchorage...a bit more in the way of good timing and skill and far fewer people that I could point you in the direction of to discuss it. But, there are a few.

If you're comfortable with bluewater with your particular boat (I don't know your boat but that's a small Hunter and is it a vessel marketed for bluewater sailing?), take the offshore route--it will be technically easier IMHO. If not (on the boat or your comfort level), I wouldn't hesitate to get to at least BC before considering what I have to do with a truck!

People who have done all or part of your trip include SV Sea Ya, a 30' boat. The husband solo sailed the vessel from San Diego to southern AK. He was "late" on starting the trip (in August) and completed it sometime in October (burrrrr!) and that included about a month waiting for a part for his autopilot to show up. I posted about them once they were in AK here

Also, SV Misty (a 32' boat) sailed from SFB to Alaska and spent a good bit of time up there. The first leg of the trip is mentioned here in a letter to L38 and a .pdf report of more of the Alaska trip is found here I met the owner of Misty in 2010 in SFB. He and I talked quite a bit about his various travels north from SFB on his own vessel and other cruising boats. From those discussions (and with other folks) I have the impression that what it takes the most is patience in waiting for the right weather windows.

Most of the folks I know who have done this trip (coastal or via HI or via the Marshalls) are in larger boats than the two mentioned above.

I do know many more people who have sailed South from AK to Mexico That's the "easy way" to go.

How long it would take--depends on time of year and route takend. I would expect the Mexico-HI-AK route to take no less than 70 days at sea--that's just a wag given the size of your vessel and how long it takes to do the two legs. If time isn't a problem for you, perhaps you could enjoy the sort of "explore the West Coast" sail North that is really worthwhile. Meaning--you'd likely do it over many months or cut it up for two years.

Tell us more about you sailing experiences, your plans, your boat and desire to get it to your home in AK.

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:11 AM   #8
Ensign

If you decide to have the boat transported it might be worth while to consider sea freight.