Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-29-2014, 02:31 AM   #15
Ready, Willing, and Able

Home Port: Fort Worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
I find the whole confusion of terms interesting. I'm thinking about: Crossing vs passage vs cruise vs voyage.

Here's what I thought these things meant. This is only what I though, not anyone else's view.

Voyage and cruise being "big picture" words encompassing the entire trip undertaken.

Passage as a term to describe several days, weeks, or months at sea getting from one port at the beginning to another port at the end.

Cruises and voyages have numerous "passages" typically unless one is trying to set some kind of non-stop record!

A crossing is a type of passage.

Crossing as a term being used to describe getting across something. Pacific crossing might be to cross a large segment of the Pacific but not all of the Pacific. Crossing could be describing a smaller trip--crossing from mainland to an offshore island within site of the mainland even.

+++

Out of term meanings and into reality:

Anyone who successfully completes a trip can be proud of it--and I will congratulate that person for their successful sailing/motoring. I can't comment on the validity of the pride that some folks feel. I'm just happy for them that they're proud of their accomplishment. I have my own standards regarding what I think I can be proud of accomplishing myself. I will hold no other sailor to my standards--those are for me alone and don't need to be shared. To date, I have completed NO passage of significance. Only little bits of coastal cruising here and there and lots of day sails. Someday I'll have numerous passages/crossings under my belt and they'll be of the sort that I'll feel proud to have accomplished... and I do hope that my voyaging goes on for years and years.

Fair winds,
I found this to be the most reasonable post, because I share this POV.

One person's voyage may be inconsequential to others, but that goes both ways. What should matter is that the person has accomplished something for their life, for their soul or dreams, not for another sailor or for some stranger sitting at a computer.

The real crossing one has to make is that boundary we often impose on ourselves, or that is created by the expectations or limitations imposed by others such as unsupportive friends or family. Make THAT crossing, and the journey can be life changing regardless of any miles covered. The biggest journey is inside us.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:01 AM   #16
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Nice to see older topics revisited. I was never quite so proud of myself as I was following a sail across the Joseph Bonaparte gulf between Darwin (Australia) and King George River. It was my first time genuinely out of sight of land, being a crossing of about 200 miles.

I was relatively new to sailing and had just upgraded from an Endeavour 23 (drop keel) to a 36 South Coast, full keeled ketch. I had become used to sailing the little boat by myself and, as I wasn't very confident on the bigger boat, I did not want to endanger anyone and so, I set off across the gulf alone. I had a good trip across and spent five days near the waterfall within the magnificent and remote river. The sail back was uphill all the way and was tough.

Since then I have never reached the level of satisfaction I felt at having made it both ways without ending up dead. In retrospect, I should have taken crew and should have had more gear on the boat.

As with many cruising boats of the time, I had a VHF and HF radio, and a depth sounder. I had no radar and my first GPS (Magellan) was still 18 months away (It was a boat show special and cost me $4000).

I remember stopping for a beer at the Darwin Sailing Club after picking up my mooring in Fanny Bay. I was tanned, unshaven, beaming with pride and was fully taken aback when a local sailor opined that my trip was nothing much more than a day sail in protected waters.

Every personal sailing milestone passed is significant, and deserves an enthusiastic hearing. There is no better marine medicine than hearing a respected fellow sailor telling you "Very well done".

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:18 PM   #17
Ready, Willing, and Able

Home Port: Fort Worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
Nice to see older topics revisited. I was never quite so proud of myself as I was following a sail across the Joseph Bonaparte gulf between Darwin (Australia) and King George River. It was my first time genuinely out of sight of land, being a crossing of about 200 miles.

....... Clip...

Every personal sailing milestone passed is significant, and deserves an enthusiastic hearing. There is no better marine medicine than hearing a respected fellow sailor telling you "Very well done".
Thanks for sharing that! I truly appreciate that anecdote.

And I really agree with your last point above too! Made me smile.

Tags
crossing, pacific