Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-29-2007, 06:09 AM   #15
Lieutenant

Home Port: Road Town
Vessel Name: Various
Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Converted Post'
Originally posted by dnelson

Hi Liss,

I did the South Pacific crossing in 2003. (I've never done the North Pacific crossing.) In all the crossing was good, the winds were fairly consistent, and the legs of the crossing were reasonable - the only long one is the Galapagos to Marquessas. Everything after that is a maximum of 500 miles.

I wrote a series of articles about the crossing - you can find them at: http://www.geocities.com/arkayos/spac01.html

Loved your log!! I am doing a similar trip in March/April on a 47ft mono but from Tahiti will be dropping down to Aukland.

A couple of Questions:

1. Hurricane/Cyclone Season: October to April but with its Peak Feb/March. If that's correct, should you aim to leave Panama or the Galapagos end of March so that 20-odd days later you are in Tahiti late April?

2. Anyone know current clearance fees in Tahiti and if you are onward moving by boat - do you have to post a bond (if so, how much?)

3. I got ahead of myself there: If you stop in the Marquesas, does this clear you in to all French Pacific territory (but I expect you have to clear at each island!) Do you post a bond in Marquesas and recover it on leaving Tahiti, I think is the question I was trying to ask!

I've scoured Noonsite (which incidentally I find to be a bit un-user friendly...even though I am a computer klutz) found 2 differing sets of months for the hurricane season for example....

And obviously, before the trip I shall be loading up with the necessary charts, guide books and passage planning info. I must say, the Atlantic seems to be a bit of a doddle for passage planning compared to the Pacific but perhaps this is a case of being more familiar with one than the other.

best to all, Tony

hope that is of some help.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:40 AM   #16

yes, you could leave the Galapagos in March, though most boats tend to leave a bit later. If you make first landfall in the Marquesas, I believe that you still have to go to Tahiti to post your bond and get final clearance in. You would then have your bond refunded from whatever island you choose to leave from. Most boats will visit most of the Fr. Polynesian islands, checking out and getting their bond back in Bora Bora. Advance notice is necessary, to be sure the money is there.

I'm afraid I don't know what present charges are in Tahiti.

Cyclone season in the S. Pacific is generally November-December to March-April.

You have a long way to go from Tahiti to New Zealand, and I can't believe that you would want to get there before the end of November or early December and its warmer weather - it is cold in NZ during their summer, I can't imagine being there during the winter. There are a lot of islands to visit between French Polynesia and New Zealand, don't rush through them if you have the time.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 06:48 AM   #17
Lieutenant

Home Port: Road Town
Vessel Name: Various
Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot

Point well taken, Jeanne, and many thanks for the good advice (as always!) Tony
Old 01-29-2007, 04:34 PM   #18
Commander

A little update...The cyclone season started in late October this year. Most everyone left for NZ by the middle of November, many at the end of October. Very early start to the season. Weather in NZ is a little cool and rainy during November and early December but not heavy coats or snow.

Bond in Tahiti (if not from Europe, NZ or OZ) is the price of air fare home. $1200 for a flight to Hawai'i, in my case.

No breadfruit can be reached when the picking stick is too short.
Spike_dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crossing, pacific