Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-17-2017, 04:08 PM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie
Default Pacific Northwest

It is always exciting to sail in waters unlike those upon which one has spent a lifetime sailing. I'm sure the waters of the Puget Sound are not always benign. The currents can be extreme, but after sailing in and around Darwin in northern Australia, where tidal ranges are up to 27 feet, the tidal rips in the San Juans don't feel quite so potent as literature would suggest.

The water is cold; and it's deep. But there are many wonderful and well protected anchorages which seemed to be underused by the vast number of vessels using these waters. It seems a good percentage prefer to travel from marina to marina, rather than from anchorage to anchorage.

My biggest regret from the trip is that we were unable to get to the wooden boat festival in Port Townsend to see long-time cruising peers Brenda and David who were exhibiting at that show.

I'm re-thinking my opposition to sailing in cold latitudes. It's not that bad after all.

Photo #1 is Mt Baker from Rosario Channel.
Photo #2 is also Mt Baker from the southern tip of Lopez Island. Note the fog bank just 2 miles away which consumed us for about 15 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0497.jpg   IMG_0545.jpg  

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:15 PM   #2
Commander

Home Port: Royston

Next time try get further north , into Canadian waters, where you can find some of the warmest waters north of the Gulf of Mexico. Not much summer fog in Georgia Strait in summer. North of Campbell River ,the water turns cold again, but the air is warm. Far less populated, and more wilderness. Tens of thousands of islands and anchorages, mostly empty . Excellent fishing

Old 09-23-2017, 02:20 AM   #3
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Thanks Brent, we had hoped to do that on this journey. However, I am currently restricted in my movements in, and out of the country. Something which will shortly resolve itself. Then, we will head for the North. While we didn't fish much on this trip, we did plonk crab traps out when at anchor. Had some very nice meals as a result.
Best wishes.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:37 PM   #4
Commander

Home Port: Royston

Get in touch with me when you get here. After over 40 years of mostly full time cruising here, I know my way around here.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:18 PM   #5
Ensign

Home Port: Houston

Great to hear about your sailing trip Auzzee. Awesome photos as well, thanks for sharing.

Tags
pacific