Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-15-2006, 02:36 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Palmyra atoll

seeking news of this magical landfall. I spent several months there before it was purchased by the Nature Conservancy. The remains of WWII

installations had been converted into a club house for passing cruisers.

The names of all the yachts that passed through there were written on every beam and wall. Two dogs lived there, Palmyra and Army, long gone now. Any news would be delightful.

Old 04-22-2006, 01:22 AM   #2
Ensign

We sailed to Palmyra on January 2003. Brought the 6 residents their Christmas cards and presents + 2 huge tanks of propane. The place is used to host groups of contributor to Nature Conservancy and looks great. Very nice people on the island and I recommend a visit.

Note that there are limits to staying of 2 visiting yachts in the lagoon and only 1 week max stay. The anchorage is deep and you would be hard pressed to find a place between 40 and 70 feet so bring lots of line or chain. We had 200' chain and could only anchor at one place.

Old 05-29-2006, 05:23 AM   #3
Ensign

sagemillion@gmail.com (808-965-1855)

Palmyra Atoll,line islands, in the pacific ocean, 1,052 miles south/southwest of hawaii. (5 degrees, 52 minutes north, 162 degrees 6 minutes west
Old 05-29-2006, 09:39 PM   #4
Ensign

Dear Sage,

As I sailed to Palmyra, I am familiar with her location. One of best aspects of world cruising is the characters we meet "out there"! I read some of your "posts", no doubt you are one of us! Fair winds. I found I didn't like to be "high" on the high seas. Fair winds.

NoaNoa
Old 09-07-2006, 11:57 AM   #5
Ensign

Send a message via Yahoo to davidfabbro

wow. I was just there in 2005. I had been there twice before in 1990. had the island to myself. after my 4 year cuise from canda to australia it was the most magical place and time of my life. I could talk for hours on Palmyra. Ask me what you like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Converted Post'
Originally posted by noanoa

seeking news of this magical landfall. I spent several months there before it was purchased by the Nature Conservancy. The remains of WWII

installations had been converted into a club house for passing cruisers.

The names of all the yachts that passed through there were written on every beam and wall. Two dogs lived there, Palmyra and Army, long gone now. Any news would be delightful.