Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-14-2010, 07:19 AM   #1
Ensign

Send a message via Yahoo to canuckiwis

Hi All

After far too many surveys, we finally have a boat!! Our penultimate survey on a yorktown 39 was looking good and we thought it in the bag, but after further discovery by our marine surveyor we discovered huge problems and sadly backed away from the purchase... feeling a bit despondent we looked online to discover the same night a Pan Oceanic 46 that was for sale in our own backyard.

We wandered down to see it and wow what a beauty... we knew she would go for way more than we could afford but what the heck lets look anyway. She needs a bit of internal work but wow wow wow we can do it. Saw her online Tuesday, in person on Wednesday, offered on Thursday, surveyed on Friday and she's OURS!!!

She is a lovely pilothouse cutter, 3/4 keel, flush decks, canoe stern- a proper ocean cruiser! Camelot is just a honey and we are ticked to be finally getting our dream underway. Neil and Jacqui the current owners have just been fantastic to get top know and full credit to them- a great cruising couple. Not trying to skite about her... but here be Camelot for all to see (see pic from N&J)!!

Cheers........ Dan & Kat
Attached Thumbnails
camelot.JPG  

Old 03-14-2010, 08:06 AM   #2
Rear Admiral

As is always the case - somethings are just meant to be - great news! enjoy guys!

Old 03-14-2010, 09:06 AM   #3
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Beautiful - congratulations.

Many, many happy, safe sailing miles!

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
Admiral

ENJOY
Old 03-14-2010, 03:00 PM   #5
Boomerang!

Home Port: Oxford, MD
Vessel Name: Boomerang!

A real pretty girl...and a seriously well built boat. Take care of her, and she will definitely take care of you.....

Best of luck.....

S/V Boomerang!

1980 Cal 39 Mark II

St Michaels, MD
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
Ensign

Send a message via MSN to Nusailor

That is a beautiful boat! Enjoy her my friend.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:19 PM   #7
Admiral

How great to share your joy with us! Good for you! Especially sweet after the recent disappointments!

Fair winds

J

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:21 PM   #8
Commander

Home Port: Edinburgh
Send a message via Yahoo to chiroeurope Send a message via Skype™ to chiroeurope

Congratulations and best wishes.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:32 AM   #9
Lieutenant

You've found a nice boat folks, and those big bow rollers look the business. Happy cruising.

regards Saxon.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:36 PM   #10

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

sweet! and now the adventures begin

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:12 PM   #11
Ensign

Home Port: Port Adelaide
Vessel Name: GYPSEAS TWO
Send a message via Yahoo to gypseastwo

Well congratulations, she's a beauty. So where to for the first adventure????

Cheers Lesley and Alan
Old 03-18-2010, 10:58 PM   #12
Ensign

The first adventure is discovering where everything is stowed!! We keep finding little (sometimes not so little) nooks and crannies with various bits stashed away as we spend more time aboard her! We have come across a spreadsheet which details 60 different storage compartments... I think we are going to need some sort of indexing systems to keep track of where everything is hiding!!!! Thinking of just getting some index cards for recording stuff, but if anyone has some hints to help us organise then please being them on!

To cut a long story short, every day is an adventure already and we haven't even cast off the lines yet!!
Attached Thumbnails
going_up_3.JPG  
Old 03-19-2010, 12:10 AM   #13
Admiral

Hello Dan,

I remember helping a Kiwi friend strip the deck off his 52ft Ferro Hartley - the good part was discovering new compartments and goodies - some of which had been there 18 years.

There is another NZ programme (FREE open source) designed for cataloging items - here's the link CLICK

This programme can be used alongside a scheduling programme to setup planned maintenance

schedules for the boat and its systems. (I use Lotus Organiser - now owned by IBM - excellent, easy to use)

Richard
Old 03-19-2010, 03:02 AM   #14
Admiral

Our Jeanneau had so many places to stow things it was easy to tuck things away to never see them again!

It took me several years to feel comfortable with my stowage system; since each boat's layout is different, what worked for me might not even be possible for another make's boat. However, Peter and I had some general "rules" that helped us look for things tossed away just to get underway.

First, food. I think these are the item(s) most moved about, stowed, and removed from storage. Something we absolutely have to have during a passage. So food was stowed beneath the saloon cushions, I could sit on the cabin sole and retrieve food no matter how rough the seas were. I had learned from several friends to keep several days worth of food in small compartments in the galley, and to go "shopping" in the deep compartments periodically. Most of the time it wasn't necessary, but when it was, keeping from being tossed about was welcome.

I used a copy of our boat drawing to label and identify the major compartments of the boat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sun_Fizz_layout.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1289

Port compartments, A-Z - PA, PB, PC, etc.

Starboard compartments, i.e, SA, SB, SC, etc.

I created an alphabetical list of all we carried (some things were generic, "filters", "linens"), with the code of the compartment where they were stored.

Some things were stowed depending on weight. Heavy low, light higher.

Spare parts were least accessible since they weren't needed very often. Emergency gear was most accessible. When on passages, for example, our ditch bag was at the bottom of the companionway.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:04 AM   #15
Ensign

wow that's one impressive piece of software and all open source! we may not have 50,000 items to catalog but there sure is a lot of stuff in her... I think this weekend we will still be tied up to the dock trying to sort things out!
Old 03-21-2010, 02:46 PM   #16
Ensign

Home Port: Port Adelaide
Vessel Name: GYPSEAS TWO
Send a message via Yahoo to gypseastwo
Talking

Hi Canuckiwis,

Yeah I fondly remember 11 years ago when we went aboard our yacht. It was a bit of a nightmare those first few years I was such as green horn. But now I, or I should say we, are much more organised and not so green. We don't have any flash system, just a couple of cheap exercise books. One is our maintenance book for the boat, anything and everything is written down in the book. What work was done, what work needs to be done, and what work (the dream page) we would like to have done. Every month we go threw the book and see what needs doing etc. This spreads maintenance evenly threw out the year instead of it building up to weeks on end at the beginning or ending of each year. Thus leaving more cruising time and less fixing time (when things block up or break down). Do a little each month and then nothing seems to big to tackle. It helps us to put a little away for those dream jobs that at the end of a period example a year we work out how much more we need to upgrade or replace an item. Plus it helps when the dreaded month comes along that says in bold capital letters " HEAD OVERHAUL". It is so easy to put this nasty job off. But regularly overhauling the toilet keeps it running smoothly. (we do ours every six months regardless).

The other book is our stores book, we just mark out about 4-5pages under a heading of say starboard under floor cupboard and list every item I put in there. Whether it be food, engines spares, wet suit & weight belt or the spare sheets for the bed. If we take anything out of a cupboard and use it you cross it off the list in the book. When I do the food I make up bags or boxes of approx a weeks worth. So it is like going to the shop and buying a bag of sugar, flour, cereals, biscuits, baked beans, powered milk, tea, coffee etc (you get the picture), you remove that bag from the storage area, and put into your normal kitchen (sorry galley) cupboards and cross it off the list. Then at any time when we just suddenly take off, I simply look in my exercise book and I know exactly how much food is on board and what I need to get before we leave.

This system is totally non technical and very cheap to run, two exercise books & one pen per year. It does not take up much space and doesn't require any power to run a program. The trick is learning to mark the items off every time you take something out of storage. But after a while it becomes second nature. It does take a bit to write down and organise your bags or boxes after a shop but it sure is worth it. We have just had floods and a cyclone recently. To fire the engine up and move off in an emergency is one thing, finding a safe place to hide somewhere is another, but the peace of mind knowing that from a quick look in a book, that says heh it's OK we got plenty of stores for X amount of days till the river goes down is priceless, and very comforting. It took a week for our river to go down. And in an emergency you don't always have time to pop off to the shops first.

Cheers and happy sailing.

Lesley.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:04 AM   #17

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

To keep track of things in the boat as well as those things which reside in our California storage unit and our Maryland storage unit, we've done a couple of things.

First, regarding the storage unit in Maryland (long, long term storage of furniture, household goods, files, family stuff) I made an inventory of each box/bin and numbered each box/bin, then made a diagram (and took some pictures) of the storage unit in Maryland so that anyone can retrieve an item for us. We also inventoried items like skis which didn't fit into a box by putting a sticker on each item. I learned this trick from the days that hubby was in the Navy and we were stationed overseas--we knew that we could ask for items to be retrieved from our storage unit if we could properly identify the items by their inventory stickers so they could be sent to us.

Our California (local) storage unit and the boat are done differently. In these cases, I am the ship's "quartermaster" keeping track of where things are and so forth. I luckily have a very good memory for where things are placed even as they're moved from spot to spot. This served us well with our our Navy moves as I could really remember what was in each box even after it sat in storage for years--without looking at the inventory list. So it really isn't too hard for me to recall what is placed where throughout the boat and in storage. The boat is more difficult because often things are placed based on weight and shape to fit a particular location rather than by any type of useage logic, though.

Lists and pics are great. I tape little lists of what is in a locker on top of the locker so that hubby knows what is there.

When I'm here--David just asks "where is such-and-so" and I can usually rattle of location immediately. In addition to lists, to enable hubby to find things without me, I do also take many pictures of things as they are going into the lockers and storage areas and we have a file folder on the computer with the pics and hubby keeps a copy of that picture folder on his little Nokia N810, too. Since much of our in-boat storage remains to be built, we have several large net "retaining walls" with stacks of our stores in duffle bags behind the net walls. These duffel bags are various sizes, various colors, and are organized by project area or tool type. We can tag the bags or write (with sharpie) on them as to the types of things inside them. Adjacent the engine compartment, for example, we have three large duffel bags strapped to the bilge stringer segregated into "general boat parts", "plumbing", and "engine/genset parts" In another location we have an electrical duffel bag and an electronics duffel; the former with wiring, extension cords, breakers, etc, the latter with the multiscope, ttl parts, radio and computer tools/parts and so forth. Sometimes these duffel bags are way too heavy to lift--the rigging one is strapped to a bilge stringer in the stateroom and couldn't be moved without removing extra rigging screws, toggles, and other stuff from it.

It doesn't take a whole lot to keep track of things as we do. I must say, though, if something is truly an unneeded item, it tends to be buried and I do have a little tickler list of "items that we really don't need but are here on the boat just in case" Those items are actually hard to keep track of but are VERY important. They're typically raw materials--steel plate, bronze rod, wood backing blocks, etc.

Food. We have a layered approach similar to what others have mentioned. I grew up in with parents who grew everything we ate and canned it/froze it/smoked it/whatever. Given that we always had huge amounts of food around at all times, I'm still not comfortable unless we have what is always more than a month or two of food in my pantry. So, I'm a major food-stasher here on the boat. Some of it in out-of-the-way locker space and some of it readily available in hanging nets and duffel bags. So far it works n regards to storage, but I must admit that it is almost impossible to use our galley while underway since the galley is not fully complete and I don't have a good means of wedging myself in place while preparing food. On the short trips we've done so far, if it is rough, I've literally sat on the galley sole with my 2 ft x 14 inch cutting board as my "countertop" on the floor for food prep. The stove, luckily has good built-in fiddle rails around it so it (or the alcohol stove which can sit atop it) can usually be used unless things are really, really rough.

I know it is better for folks who have a "complete" interior to their boat, but I never dreamed I'd be spending so much of my time crawling around on the sole digging things out of duffel bags while the boat heels and rolls.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:38 PM   #18
able seaman

Home Port: Bunbury
Vessel Name: Tai Winds

Hi Camelot owners....
Hmmm, a thread now quite a few years old, but I think I saw your boat a while ago in Albany W.Australia....
Liked it very much (from the outside).
Does it have any brothers or sisters, for sale?

hank