Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-23-2006, 09:53 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Home Port: Road Town
Vessel Name: Various
Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot
Default Panama to Brisbane

Hi people: Anyone ever done this trip? I have the possibility (I stress - only a possibility) of doing this trip starting in May in a 40 footer.

Any advice on stop off points on the way across, weather conditions for time of year etc, etc would be gratefully received!

Safe sailing, Tony

Old 11-24-2006, 03:30 AM   #2
Commander

Send a message via MSN to dnelson

Hi Tony,

I did that trip in 2003. I have an online travelogue about the trip starting at http://www.geocities.com/arkayos/spac01.html through www.geocities.com/arkayos/spac12.html although I still have to upload the text to the last few legs (itīs only been a couple of years waiting...)

Iīm also about to do the trip again this year. I would wonder if May wasnīt going to be a little late to start, but that will depend on how long you spend in each spot. It is a wonderful experience.

dnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 04:08 AM   #3
Commander

Very popular route. Most follow Panama to Marquesas, Tahiti, Rarotonga, Aitutaki, Palmerston, Niue, Tonga, Fiji, Vanuatu, then do the Bundenburg rally. Optional stops are usually Niue, Palmerston, Aitutaki. Some head to Samoa instead of Tonga. Late April, early May.

I recommend spending little time in Tahiti, but a ferry ride to Moorea for the day, Huahine for a few days, Bora Bora for a week if you time it for the Heiva Festival (free and better then Tahiti's performances), 10 days in the Marquesas, stopping in Rarotonga only to check in and take a 1 day trip around the island on a rental scooter, a couple of days in Aitutaki, a couple of weeks in Vava'u group of Tonga, stop at Niue (depending on weather)for a few days, you could spend years in Fiji or Vanuatu. You won't have time to do all the Tongan groups. Palmerston is also a nice stop for a couple of days.

Weather wasn't great this year in the entire South Pacific, including an early start to the cyclone season.

Take sailing guides and a South Pacific Lonely Planet.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:12 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Home Port: Road Town
Vessel Name: Various
Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot

Many thanks, Dave and Spike. This boat is also a Moorings phase out but luckily as I used to work for them, I know the guys and can oversee the phase-out procedures as well.

Dave - a couple of questions: Bareboats are pretty much just that: Did you carry additional storm sails or light weather sails? Loved your "travelogue" by the way - you should expand it a bit!! Are you still in St Martin?

Tony

Tags
brisbane, panama