Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-12-2012, 12:59 AM   #15
Commander

Home Port: Stockton, MO
Vessel Name: Ceilidh

Hello again Auzzie,

Some really great points have been made here, and I love the learning curve as usual... As for the tandem Drogues, that would all depend on conditions BUT they can easily become tangled (just like two fishing lines often due without outriggers) and I have never tried it. If off of a lee shore in a big blow the chute looks to have the advantages! I guess that is why I have been carrying both. I have always been lucky, and have nothing compared to the miles of the Pardeys, and many others. I love the idea of using fenders instead of hauling an extra large float! I strongly suggest the trip line, as I have a friend who failed to rig one, and have listened to his story of that misadventure too many times.

Both take up a bit of room, and you can run off with something you tie to for resistance and warp out plain line even, but you can't magically whip up a parachute at sea... I am rethinking a few things myself!!!

Old 10-13-2012, 01:56 AM   #16
Ocean Senior Sailor

Home Port: Auckland

Try reading this site and testomonials.

W A Coppins - Award winning designers of Para Sea Anchors

Rated as the best in the world. Comes in it's own compact bag and with floats all fit into a carry bag.

As a poster has already stated setting the right distance and position on a wave back is the answer. The site explains it all. Has a testomonial from one who hug through a 300 + klm hurricane.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #17
Lieutenant

Home Port: Gisborne
Vessel Name: Balaena Bay
Default amazing story , drogue related.

Here's a link to the survivors own account of a rescue off the west coast (raglan) New Zealand. It will make you think hard about sea room.
Crew.org.nz • View topic - Solo sailor rescued off Raglan
Old 10-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #18
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Thanks danblu. You say the story is drogue related, but I see no reference to drogues or sea anchors and am not quite sure of the relevence to the topic. My understanding is that he turned to head out to sea, but the height of the waves and frequency of fronts prevented him from gaining searoom.

I note also he abandoned ship 50 kilometers off the coast. The footage of the rescue shows heavy seas but not so huge that the boat couldn't be put head to sea. But even drifting onshore at 3 knots, that would still give him 8 hours before he would have hit bottom.

It's unfair to comment without the full story and a 90 second TV job is not going to provide that. He's fine anyway and that's the main thing.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:41 AM   #19
Lieutenant

Home Port: Gisborne
Vessel Name: Balaena Bay

Try page 6, scroll down to yachtyacca, there's a full description of the whole thing by Alan, the guy rescued. He had a drogue deployed off the aft end and tried using the engine in reverse. He was well prepared and did all the correct actions. I wonder if a sea anchor might just have been enough. The whole forum topic is well worth a read, some very experienced sailors commenting.

Tags
anchor