Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-01-2008, 03:15 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Home Port: Ballard
Vessel Name: VAGABON

Why all the angst over pirates? I think the odds are greater getting accosted here in the US in any major city than meeting a pirate.

Maye we should move on to the risk of asteroids at sea and avoidance techniques. The story is the same keep your wits about you,

your eyes open, etc...

After all, I would much rather have on my head stone; Here lies Duckwheat killed by Pirates. Much better than herE lies Duckwheat, chose to die rather than have prostate surgery one more time.

Has sort of a flair to it.

Lets angst about something new. How about toe nail fungus.

DW

Old 09-01-2008, 03:42 AM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Hi, DW,

You make me smile.

The reports that are posted here are simply that--reports. I'm missing the angst...although I usually classify alot of things as hyperbole regarding such things as pirates.

I hope to keep seeing the communication flow regarding things (mostly) beyond our control that ALL mariners care about: Storms/weather, Pirates/theft, Changes in customs/duties/fees in certain countries, etc.

Given reporting on weather--you avoid the storms if possible;

Given the reporting on theft or piracy--you can avoid the area, remove "loose" things from deck, travel in groups, etc;

Given a change in fees for entering a country--you can plan for the additional expenses or avoid that country/port.

As you're probably aware, most folks make much ado about risks of things happening that are truly rare and beyond their control--on the other hand, these same folks will put themselves in harms way repeatedly because--yep, it's their God-given right to do so. Go figure!

About that toenail fungus. Its darn near impossible to get rid of once you've got it

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:37 PM   #3
Ensign

Oooh! Oooh! I vote for rogue waves!

I bought a huge stick-boat to compensate for something, but I'm kind of frightened of water. And darkness. And wind. And falling off when I have to leave the cockpit to do stuff.

Definitely lightning, too, I mean, with that big metal stick, it must be a lightning magnet, right?

That's why I keep the sticks bare and motor as fast as I can when its 10-15 on the beam. But mostly I just like to keep it tied up tight to those big wood posts at the dock. Safer.

I'm also kind of worried about hitting shipping containers, whales, logs, crab pots and free-floating drift nets.

The trouble is, I've motored all over with my stick-boat for some years now, and I've never had a problem with any of these things. And I have at least two of everything in the West Marine catalog, and, apart from needing to repaint the waterline again, I'm running out reasons to stay at the dock.

I've been thinking about going cruising, but I'm afraid I'll miss my favorite shows. And my car. And shopping at the mall. And high-speed Internet! And something might happen to my fat, stupid, spoiled children and I won't know about it instantly. (I've kind of gotten used to that.)

It's also scary to think about taking more than two weeks off from work. My accountancy skills might become out-of-date and unmarketable.

So I vote for rogue waves! They are totally unpredictable! They can happen anywhere in any season, cause potentially unlimited damage and cannot be prepared for or guarded against by any means!

Rogue waves: the ultimate reason to Stay Home and Stay Safe!
Old 09-01-2008, 11:40 PM   #4
Rear Admiral

My Gawd, McQuarqle, Aye think you're right! I think I oughtta sail right back home to Hawaii... and without further delay! It's DANGEROUS out here!

I was speaking with my sister today (at anchor, on Skype, via free WiFi) discussing our upcomingg plans of exploring the offshore islands of Venezuela & Colombia... when she brought up the fact that she'd heard of a couple of armed robberies around those waters this year... to which I replied "yes - we've all heard about that... but how many armed robberies do you suppose occurred within your own city just over this past weekend?"

I think she got my point.

Never-the-less... I would like to sail back to Hawaii again... some day... before a meterorite kills me.

I do like your logic, Sir. and hope to hear more from you. Welcome to the Cruiser Log Forum!

To Life!

Kirk
Old 09-02-2008, 12:30 AM   #5
Admiral

Cruiser Log is a major resource for cruisers - with a reputation in providing factual information to those are currently cruising the world's oceans, to those who are circumnavigating the planet, to those whose are investing in a cruiser, to those cruisers who have retired from the sea and to all those who have dreams of cruising to different lands and peoples.

The topic "Pirate Preoccupation..............., Why all angst...?" unfortunately has not in its postings, drawn attention to the issue and serious problem that is now confronting the cruisers who are presently in the Northern Indian Ocean, South East Asia , Australia and the North West Pacific Ocean. The current issue is, what passages are available to sail to the Mediterranean, if Europe is the destination ?

The standard practice has been to congregate either in Western Malaysia or Western Thailand at the end of the year - then make passage of around 5 weeks to Oman - then form flotillas to transit the Gulf of Aden in company of cruisers of similar SOG - once through the Strait of Bab El Mandeb at the Southern end of the Red Sea to start the next passage of around 1,000 nautical miles to arrive at the entrance of the Suez Canal - and once this transit is completed, only then will the cruiser will have arrived in the Mediterranean.

However, The Gulf of Aden and the Seas off Somalia are now presenting a man-made challenge to vessels of all shapes and sizes - already in the last 3 months over a 100 people have been taken hostage - many vessels have been highjacked - huge ransoms are being demanded. Coalition Navies are having to divert resources from Iraq and elsewhere to respond to calls for assistance from those vessels under attack.

See this Link for factual situation report :- From US Navy

What alternative passages are available to the cruiser when leaving South East Asia in December with destination Europe?

#1. Western Malaysia or Western Thailand >>> Mauritius >>> The Cape of Good Hope >>>> Brazil >>> Gibraltar >>> Mediterranean. Some 25,000 Km or 13,600 nautical miles - on average around 4 ½ months (without stopping)

#2. Western Malaysia or Western Thailand >>> across the Pacific to Panama >>> Gibraltar >>> Mediterranean.

#3. Western Malaysia or Western Thailand >>> across the South Pacific to Cape Horn >>> Gibraltar >>> Mediterranean.

The alternatives to the Gulf of Aden transit are there - however, the passages will make additional demands on the cruiser in terms of resources, time constraints etc..

Cruiser Log is comfortable with the factual reports and information it provides cruisers who are presently planning near future passages through an acknowledged dangerous stretch of water. It is reasonable therefore to expect members and readers to evaluate the facts as presented. Some study of charts - ocean passages - and validated reports on very recent attacks is therefore recommended.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:28 AM   #6
Jan
Lieutenant

Off course MMNETSEA is much appreciated for his data. It's everybodies own responsibility to evaluate this data, compare it with other, calculate the risks and make his/her decision.

But, what i really do miss in all the advices going around South-Africa is the crime and murder rate. The chances getting robbed or murdered (or both...) in S-A might even be higer then getting robbed by some Pirates.

In the beginning we got really annoyed by all the warnings, tips, horror stories, defth warnings and so on. Later it just gave us a good laugh. If we followed all that, we would have stayed home Like McG.

The trouble is, I still can't hear somebody saying 'lock it or loose it" witthout wetting my pants.

sh&one&t happens. Everywhere, everytime. Inavoidable. It's true, there are crooks everywhere. Luckily the vast majority are just good people. Willing to talk, trade and most of the time being very interested in that strange people on a boat driven by an ancient concept as sails.

We were approachd about 3 times in the Gulf of Aden and Bab el Mandeb. High speed, unshaven, waving and shouting men. All they wanted was to change fish for Marlboro and Whisky. We anchored along the Malaysian coast on our way North in the Malacca Strait. Enoyed the Indonesion Archipel. Met a lot of boatboys, most of them nice, some of them assholes. Like everywhere.

Looking back the only robbers we met were the Mediteranian Marinas!

I still got one fear, and that has only gotten stronger even while knowing that the biggest fear is fear itself, that is not being able to do it all again.

To Life!

Jan