Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-08-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
Ensign

Send a message via Yahoo to Festina

Please help I just spent a couple of hours describing my latest cruise. on going to preview the site jammed somewhere. have I lost it

Old 04-08-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
Admiral

Sorry, I think it's lost, I can't find it anywhere. I've found more than one "hiccup" can cause such a problem. Sometimes I've been able to recover by using the "back" button on the computer, and it might bring me back to that screen, but it doesn't always work.

Nowadays, especially if I'm on a WiFi connection, I will copy the entire message to the clipboard just before previewing or submitting it, just in case the connection is lost.

For some of my longer posts I often write them on Notepad before copying the entire finished post to the forum.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #3
Admiral

Sorry, I think it's lost, I can't find it anywhere. I've found more than one "hiccup" can cause such a problem. Sometimes I've been able to recover by using the "back" button on the computer, and it might bring me back to that screen, but it doesn't always work.

Nowadays, especially if I'm on a WiFi connection, I will copy the entire message to the clipboard just before previewing or submitting it, just in case the connection is lost.

For some of my longer posts I often write them on Notepad before copying the entire finished post to the forum.

SY WATERMELON |

Old 04-08-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
Admiral

Okay, the above post took four or five tries to post. Each time I clicked on "Add Reply" it churned for a while and then I received a "fatal error" message. I immediately hit the Back button and the draft of the post came back up. I did that again, same error, same Back, same Add Reply, and finally it took.

While the reply was churning away I opened two new tabs and went to two other web sites. One that I went to was having similar problems to this one, the other site which is not a forum such as this came up immediately no problem. So, maybe it's the server - difficult to say.

These annoying quirks catch you at the most inopportune moments. After the first time I clicked on "submit reply" and the post didn't "take" immediately, I quickly highlighted and copied my post to the clipboard. So if the fatal error had been a fatal and final error, at least I could have reconstructed my post.

We shouldn't have to go through these contortions, I know, but things happen at the best of times.

Sorry.

J

p.s., having trouble with this post, too. Same fatal error. Trying to get it to post. Other web site won't even load now. So maybe by some odd coincidence we are using the same server as the other board and it's a server error. or my connection is screwy - that happens more than I like.

SY WATERMELON |

Old 04-08-2010, 02:55 PM   #5
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

We should be on our new server within the next 12 hours.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:37 PM   #6
Commander

I highly recommend, if writing a lot post, to write it FIRST in a word processing program. Then copy-and-paste it to the forums to send.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:41 PM   #7
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafarer' date='08 April 2010 - 06:37 PM View Post

I highly recommend, if writing a lot post, to write it FIRST in a word processing program. Then copy-and-paste it to the forums to send.
Yes, using "Notepad" is best - without pre-formatting the text.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:12 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

Use Lazarus: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6984