Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-28-2011, 06:27 PM   #15

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP View Post

So based on all this guessing, I would rather focus on having a boat that won't sink.

Who wouldn't? Seems as if multihulls are the boats, then. Tony Bullimore's boat kept him alive, amazingly. http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d...00/2518229.stm
You'all have probably read this one before:

What Really Matters

* Keep the water out

* Keep the crew on the boat

* Keep the keel side down

* Keep the mast up

* Keep the rudder on

* The rest is small stuff.

++++

Amazing that numerous folks who abandon ship (calling mayday, getting retrieved by commercial mariners or Coast Guard) do find that their abandoned sailboat makes it through incredibly large seas/winds/storm conditions after they've abandoned it. Even with knockdowns, monohulls come upright again and again, continuing to stay afloat. Inverting/Capsizing much more readily than monohulls, yes, that's the weak point of a multihull--however even when capsized, unless holed the multihull should stay afloat safely as demonstrated by the capsized multihull in the link JeanneP makes.

It is probably best to not leave the boat unless the boat is really and truly sinking.

Regarding how to get off one's boat into the life raft/ life boat? I always figured that if conditions where really that bad (AND one's boat IS already sinking), one would be able to get into the lifeboat on deck and wait for the next wave washing over the boat to take you and the life raft off the boat. However, I'd think it would be a case-by-case figure it out scenario.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:35 PM   #16
Lieutenant

Home Port: Georgetown
Vessel Name: Surprise

Regarding how to get off one's boat into the life raft/ life boat? I always figured that if conditions where really that bad (AND one's boat IS already sinking), one would be able to get into the lifeboat on deck and wait for the next wave washing over the boat to take you and the life raft off the boat. However, I'd think it would be a case-by-case figure it out scenario.

[/quote]

I spoke to a friend about this and he suggested that a primary reason people are unable to enter their life rafts when needed in high seas is that they tend to not tie off the painter sufficiently and it may break away with the next wave. Also he said that people sometimes exit a life raft, trying to get back to the boat for just one more item. If one can keep a relatively level head (as they watch their homes founder) then, if required, I suspect most would find a way into that life raft.

At least this will be part of the drill: when its time to go - and you really see no better option, just go.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:32 AM   #17
Lieutenant

Home Port: Gisborne
Vessel Name: Balaena Bay

I think that if you left the raft onboard waiting for a wave to launch it then it would probably get damaged by the staunchions or whatever. Situations like this are somewhat like playing chess with only a couple of pawns and the king left. Every move is critical and has the potential to cost lives.

When I had my raft serviced the man told me the best way to enter the raft was simply to jump onto the top and crawl through the tent opening. Sounds reasonable to me but may not to the other crew who got in before! I think there's something in thinking these situations out and indeed practising by taking a course. Problems I see are the lifejacket preventing swimming or at least making it very difficult to swim and also to drag oneself into the raft from the water. I beleve also that the problems really start once aboard the raft!