Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-14-2008, 07:08 PM   #1
Ensign

We are in the Keys on our way to Green Turtle. I've little experience in the Abaco's and hope to tap the braintrust at the forum.

Any favorate anchorages between Marathon and Green Turtle? Where do ou check in the Abaco's, and finally, all my charts and my maptech gear in on the boat. I could use a recommendation for a cruising guide or two.

Thanks

sv Dessert First

Pensacola, FL

Chimayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:43 PM   #2
Lieutenant

I liked the Steve Dodge cruising guide when we were there a couple of years ago. We cleared in at Marsh Harbour Marina (the marina guy makes a call, and the agents come to you. Marina guy gets $25 for the service.) I understand the Green Turtle Cay is a Port of Entry, also.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:17 PM   #3
Rear Admiral

Have you considered entering the bank at Gun Cay? It is a pretty sail, and many things to see on the bottom as you traverse the bank. Then you can anchor at Chub Cay and enter. Then sail around the Berries, and head north.

At the Gun Cay entrance you can check in at Cat Cay, but they wanted $100 to tie our dinghy to the dock. In Bimini they tried to force me into a slip to check in. I told them I was on the go, and leaving as soon they would do my paperwork. Took 30 minutes to do it while I anchored off the north end of the docks.

In Nassau when not picking up family &, or friends I anchor, and climb the wall at the customs house where the cruise ships are. If I am meeting people I get a slip to make it easy on them. When I get home to the boat tonight I will look to see what cruise book I use. Have fun, and be safe no matter which way you go..............
Old 01-14-2008, 10:23 PM   #4
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Have you considered entering the bank at Gun Cay? It is a pretty sail, and many things to see on the bottom as you traverse the bank. Then you can anchor at Chub Cay and enter. Then sail around the Berries, and head north.

At the Gun Cay entrance you can check in at Cat Cay, but they wanted $100 to tie our dinghy to the dock. In Bimini they tried to force me into a slip to check in. I told them I was on the go, and leaving as soon they would do my paperwork. Took 30 minutes to do it while I anchored off the north end of the docks.

In Nassau when not picking up family &, or friends I anchor, and climb the wall at the customs house where the cruise ships are. If I am meeting people I get a slip to make it easy on them. When I get home to the boat tonight I will look to see what cruise book I use. Have fun, and be safe no matter which way you go..............
100$ to tie dinghy? I sure hope the rest of the Bahamas isn't like that.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:23 PM   #5
Rear Admiral

No it's not all like that. That is why I gave several examples of what I do, and what I have run across. I have never checked into Abacos, so I have no experience there. Although I have sailed through the Abacos several times. Up until about 4 years ago it was only $15 to check in, and that was anywhere including San Salvador.

Hopefully you will be living on the hook? That is the most inexpensive way to go. Occassionally we use marinas to pick up, and depart from guest. Even then we are sometimes anchored out to do this. I forgot to check on which cruising book we use for Abacos....sorry about that....
Old 01-15-2008, 12:57 PM   #6
Lieutenant

What is your draft?

The Explorer charts mark the anchorages. If it is not marked you probably will not be able to hold. Most new GPS Maps are using those charts but get the chart package for Northern Bahamas, Lots of good data.

There is no bad guide, just different. The Dodge guide is good but only mentions those who advertise.

I went from Key Largo to Bimini to the West side of Berry Islands and to Sandy Point the up the Bight of Abaco and around Little Abaco Island to Marsh Harbor. Low tide is 3.5 feet per the Explorer charts.

If you clear customs at Green Turtle Cay you will need to take the water taxie to Treasure Cay airport. Some of the Islands not longer have passport control. Check with the marina's before you arrive.

Please note that some harbors enterances have low water around 4 feet so please watch the tides and check the anchor every time it is set.

Check in is cash, about $ 165 for less than 30 feet(?) and $ 325 for above. Be sure to ask for a spear stamp on your fishing permit evern if you do not have one. No extra charge.

Tags
bahamas, cruising guide