Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-24-2010, 07:37 PM   #1
Ensign

Hello All.

My first time on this site and also to a cruising forum and just looking for some general advise. I have a Lagoon 380 currently in charter in Greece with Sunsail. The yacht is due to come out of contract in Oct 2012. Although it's still 2 years away I was wondering if anyone has any thought on the risks of moving the boat from the Med to the UAE ( Where I'm living at the moment).

Looking forward to any advice,

Andy.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome aboard Andy.

I'm sure others will be along shortly with knowledge of the region but you can also keep an eye on the RED SEA section of the World Cruising Wiki as more and more information is added there over time. Click Link Here for the Red Sea section.

Good luck.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:06 PM   #3
Ensign

Personally, I would have some concern. Especially transiting through the Red Sea, Gulf of Oman and into the Persian Gulf. Just where do you intend to keep the boat if your living in the UAE. There is no UAE port on the Red Sea and only a few on the Gulf of Oman. If you Visa and papers allow you to travel freelythrough Saudi Arabia, then you might consider keeping the boat in Jeddua, which is about half way down the Saudi Red Sea coast. I lived and worked there for a few years, back in the mid '80s and it was a fairly laid-back city.

But considering the more recent politics of the entire region, I think I would recommend leaving your boat in the Med where you will have much safer and secure cruising waters. I can't imagine you will find any secure cruising areas in the Red Sea or Persian Gulf areas.

Sorry I can't offer much encouragement on this matter.

Steve

s/v Good Intentions
Old 10-25-2010, 12:00 AM   #4
Admiral

Hello Andy,

There are a number of places where one can stop to refuel and take on provisions between the Med and the UAE.

The main consideration is the timing of such a trip in terms of wind, one is looking for a northerly for the Red Sea (which is the prevailing wind).

There are rallies from the Med into the Red Sea which one can join to take you through the first hurdle of the Suez Canal.

In the Red Sea ports of entry are:-

EGYPT : El Gouna , Hurghada , Kiriazi Marina , Port Ghalib , Safaga , Sharm el Sheik , Suez * , Taba Heights , Wadi-El-Dome Marina.

SUDAN : Port Suakin , Port Sudan

ERITREA : Assab , Massawa

Was you leave the Red Sea, one has the option of calling into :

DJIBOUTI : Djibouti

or continue or refuel in South Yemen :

GULF of ADEN (MAY <<>> September the wind is SW which is best to take you through the Gulf of Aden and the Gulf of Oman and round the corner into the UAE)

Port of Aden is the last port that one presently would use to refuel in Yemen.

OMAN : Marina Bander Al Rowdha (Muscat) , Mina al Fahal , Port Salalah (Mina Raysut) NB Salalah has some facities but BEWARE of agents - best to continue on to Muscat.

Once in the UAE. Dubai is probably the best bet for a sailing boat.

Andy, as you are already in the United Arab Emirates do you have a moment to update us on facilities ?

Richard
Old 07-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #5
Ensign

Hello,

Just wondering if you ever did move your boat. And if so what was your experience with the Egyptian Red Sea Ports? Thanks,

TakeaSeat
Old 07-25-2011, 11:39 AM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeaseat View Post

Hello,

Just wondering if you ever did move your boat. And if so what was your experience with the Egyptian Red Sea Ports? Thanks,

TakeaSeat
Whatever the situation in 2010 - the revolution in Egypt may still have some steam - maybe your best bet for an accurate picture would be local inquiries.