Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-12-2006, 12:15 AM   #15
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

The refrigeration that we replaced was a dual plate system that ran on AC and/or an engine driven compressor. It was 15 years old. Our freezer box is approximately 16ft^3 and the frig is approximately 32ft^3. It is a spill-over design.

We replaced both plates with a single 3.5” thick cool blue DC unit with the addition of a small DC circulation fan. We operate with approximately 1800Ahs from 8 house 6 volt batteries. At this time we recharge using our NextGen 3.5kW genset; however we plan to install solar before we go cruising. Nonetheless, if we run the Genset for an hour a day while making water and charging batteries, we have no problem keeping everything balanced. Solar would most likely eliminate the need to charge on a daily basis. The freezer stays at 5F while the fridge stays at 38-40F with the help of the circulation fan. The fan was key to being able to replace two plates with one. It is a simple DC computer fan that we installed at the top spill-over tube.

Also, when we installed the new system, we pulled the entire box out and replaced all the old insulation with aerogel vacuum insulation panels and injected Fomo insulation foam. This made an enormous difference.

The Cool Blue is a very simple system that you can install yourself. The owner of Technautics is an extremely friendly and helpful guy. He is a retired Ford Aerospace Cryogenics expert who started building refrigeration systems as a hobby…now he has a great little business. Give him a call and talk to him.

Old 11-12-2006, 12:52 AM   #16
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

Also, something that I found interesting is that the DC system at Technautics is actually an AC system with it's own inverter. Apparently this is the most efficient since an AC compressor is far more efficient, reliable and cost effective than a DC compressor. In addition, if you ever find yourself needing to replace a compressor 15 years from now off the coast of Africa, you can buy one at any hardware store.

Before I bought the Technautics system, I researched the cost of all the components from Grainger Industries and found that I couldn't build one myself for much less. Since he offers a 5 yr warranty, the dicision was easy.

Old 11-12-2006, 04:55 AM   #17
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Initially the system seems a little expensive. But if their claims about warranty returns and the five year warranty coverage are correct, it appears a good way to go.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:04 PM   #18
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

Was digging around and came across this old thread... just wondering how the systems installed are holding up a year later?? Any changes you would make in retrospect?

J

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:48 PM   #19
Rear Admiral

I ended-up installing two Danfoss BD-50 based units with digital thermostats. Both are air cooled by TWO computer fans on each condensor and power is supplied by the eight solar panels mentioned above feeding six Trojan 6 volt bateries.

I used a Waeco "forced air" evaporator in the freezer. The compressor is set to cut in at 14 deg f. and out at 7 deg f. and we can keep ice cream frozen when stored in the bottom of the box.

The fridge has an aluminum plate evaporator which I bent & mounted inside the box in a shape resembling the numeral 7. The compressor cuts in at 42 deg f and cuts out at 37 deg f.

I'm glad I went with digital controls and I can easily switch back to rotary thermostats should they ever fail.

The system works quite well in the tropics and has yet to need additional power input by either the battery charger or alternator in the six months since completing the installation.

Battery voltage rarely drops below 12.2 volts even while under the load of both compressors.

I'm totally happy with the results... and like to think of it as a Solar Powered Ice Maker.

To Life!

Kirk