Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-14-2007, 08:48 AM   #1
Ensign

Hi,

I applied myself, and acquired my American Sailing Association (ASA) credentials 101 - 104 this past Summer and Fall. At the present I am land-locked, but want to keep the skills I acquried honed and sharp.

I am going to Puerto Vallarta Mexico in late January for a short vacation / holiday. During that time I would like to rent a sailboat for day sailing, but do not know who, where, or how to, start asking, or even if it is a likely possibility.

I understand, an unknown yacht owner is not going to give free access, even with a fee, to an unknown stranger: Ya take mine, and bring it back safe and sound, in a couple of days.

Yes, that is unreasonable.

At the same time, I have a few days to hone and maintain my skills, in a place that allows it. I just need a boat, ... and some wind. (I know the wind is optional, and sometimes excessive.).

I don't care if the owner and / or crew are with. I don't care if there are others aboard watching, I just want a chance to be the skipper, helmsmen, and deck hand, for a few days. I expect to pay reasonable rates or fees.

I don't know where to look, whom to ask, or even how to ask. For that matter if my request is just simply riddiculous.

Any suggestions are welcome,

R.R.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:47 PM   #2
Rear Admiral

P.V. is a wonderful place. I spent about 5 months there on my first boat, Frolic. If you can't find a boat maybe you should consider a nice hobie to sail. The smaller, and more agile the boat the quicker your skills will be honed.

You can always go down to the P.V. marinas, and ask around for day sails. Many boats go out for daysails. While I was there I took several people out sailing that were complete strangers the day before. If you can get out to Tres Mariettas YOU WILL FIND A FUN TIME THERE!